Any recommendations for photography workshops/lessons?

So my girlfriend got me a Canon 5D mark iii last Christmas and while its a great camera, feel a little overwhelmed with it since I haven't taken a photo class since college. And yes, there are a million resources online and in books, but I always like hands-on learning directly from the teacher.

So I was wondering if there are any workshops or photographers who provide lessons. Does not matter the location since I love to travel but preferably away from the Midwest (born and raised in Illinois).

I'm into landscape, cityscape, street, night, long exposure, and HDR, but I really like anything related to photography.

Thanks in advance

A lot of workshops focus on particular types of photography (street, landscape, wildlife, strobe, etc.).

One person I hear about all the time is Eric Kim. He specializes in street photography. I'm not sure how pricey he is.
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/workshops/

Sometimes the best part about workshops is meeting and learning from other students. That's what happened to me when I went to a free David Honl workshop here in L.A. I made friends with another attendee and he was nice enough to answer some of my noob questions. Sometimes the attendees are just as good as the instructor.

Photowalks are also good learning opportunities, where you might not have a designated "teacher", but you could probably find people who would be happy to share techniques and advice.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There are thousands of workshops out there. If money is no object, National Geographic will be happy to take some of yours for one of their destination workshops. Santa Fe Workshops is one of the oldest and well respected workshop operators.

Outdoor Photographer magazine lists tons of travel and wildlife workshops every month, both in ads and in a section of the magazine.

If you are still in the Midwest, Chicago Photo Safaris offers several one-day photo-walk style workshops. Digital Photo Academy offers photo walk and basic DSLR classes at locations in many major cities, including Chicago.

Adorama sponsors a number of workshops in New York. Scott Kelby's Photoshop dynasty is based largely on traveling workshops, mostly on Photoshop, but some on other topics as well. American Photo magazine does their Model Shoot tours in many cities if glamour photos are of interest.

Finally, if you've got $5,000 to spend, Jay Maisel is arguably one of the most renowned photographers that regularly does workshops.

Upvote 0
Yes, tons of good ones out there. Arizona Highways leads several in my state of Arizona (and they also do some other spots in the western states). The back of Outdoor Photographer magazine will list a lot of them (though mainly nature tours, not city/street stuff). Jim Zuckerman (I think that is his name) does one on Paris and London with what looks like good night stuff.

If you want to stay local, a lot of camera stores and photo labs do one day classes and workshops. Just check the major stores or labs in your area (or in another city you want to visit). The photo lab I work for in Tucson does them on an ongoing basis - I am one of the two instructors. http://www.jonesphoto.com/workshops.htm

A simple internet search on "photo workshops" should yield a lot of listings, and if you narrow it to what you are interested in "night photography workshop" etc, you should find some good stuff.

Upvote 0
koreandrama said:
So my girlfriend got me a Canon 5D mark iii last Christmas and while its a great camera, feel a little overwhelmed with it since I haven't taken a photo class since college. And yes, there are a million resources online and in books, but I always like hands-on learning directly from the teacher.

Can you introduce me to your girlfriend if things don't work out?

Upvote 0
While the Canon destination classes would be good, its sound to me (and I could be wrong), that you need possibly have some one-on-one with the camera, so that you're familiar with and comfortable using its features and controls. If that is the case, then I suggest one of Canon's EOS immersion workshops first:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/live_learning/eos_immersion/eos_immersion.shtml

They're usually less than $100 and then, if you decide to take a more in-depth workshop, you won't be spending a lot of time fiddling. I say this only because 1: Destination-centric workshops can be very expensive and 2. Most photographers that lead these events generally expect you to be familiar with your cameras controls.

koreandrama said:
So my girlfriend got me a Canon 5D mark iii last Christmas and while its a great camera, feel a little overwhelmed with it

Upvote 0
Before you go and spend thousands or even hundreds of dollars on advanced workshops or subscriptions, you might want to check out some of my Crash Courses for beginning & intermediate photographers. Have videos for the 5Diii, Speedlites and several advanced courses.

I guarantee it will be the best $38 investment you make in your photography education. If not, Ill refund your money!

http://www.michaelthemaven.com/products/

Upvote 0