Any rumor about a new TS-E lens wider than 17mm?

I've heard such rumours ever since the 17mm came out - unfortunately all from sources I'd never heard of before and firmly (IMHO) in the wishful thinking category (i.e. not even CR1 here).

The 17 is extremely wide when you look at the full image circle, so there issues in the sheer amount of rectilinear distortion if you made it wider. i.e. even if perfectly rectilinear, it would look massively distorted at the edges. That said if Canon made a TS-E15, I'd want one...

In talking to Canon about the three new TS-E lenses, they effectively regard them as the 'third generation' of TS-E lens designs. Where they really shine is at wider apertures and with larger movements. Their tilt performance is noticeably better - I'd suggest that's much more relevant for the longer lenses.

I can see a Mk2 TS-E17 that's better over the whole image circle at say f/5.6 - maybe even with T/S data in EXIF (but I still think that unlikely).

In recently comparing the TS-E90 old vs. new the areas of improvement were obvious on my 5Ds - I suspect we won't see the 17 updated until there is at least a 120MP FF sensor in Canon's range (yes please - file size and FPS is of zero concern for my work ;-)

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Don Haines said:
To go wider, the chunk of glass would be enormous!

Image leak of new 14mm TSE front lens element:
1662416.jpg

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Antono Refa said:
The competition doesn't have anything as wide, it took Nikon >5 years to come out with the slightly longer PC-E 19mm, so I don't see Canon in a rush to make a mkII, much the less a wider TS-E.

And Canon's TS are much better than anyone else's as well, I believe? So no hurry to change it.

Upvote 0
That's why LF cameras are still around. But it becomes a pain with recessed lens boards and bag bellows, no yaw free movements anymore, light fall-off, etc. There is a Schneider 47 mm ~ 15 mm in FF SLR terms.
Yes, I have the 47xl and unless you're being purposefully artsy with the severe falloff, you also have to use an expensive center filter.

There is also a 38xl but it won't quite cover 4x5. However, for the amount it would cover, it might be slightly wider angle of view %.

I love those lenses and have the 47xl, 58xl 72xl then also Nikor SW90, Rodenstock 120S, 180s, 210, 240.

Is it rude to just respond "LOL" to the original thread post ? ;) Basically, any wider and you're probably trying to use the wrong approach to make the image.

Upvote 0