Any suggestions on cheap ebay triggers / poverty wizards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neeneko

unruled said:
neeneko, I agree with you (and have done the same myself), that said even with cheap chinese TTL cables and hotshoe adapters, I wasn't too far off from cactus triggers (~60$) and those work flawlessly in my testing. Id rather cactus over yongnuo.

Actually, there are some ultra-cheep solutions that use wired systems, depending on what the flashes accept. For instance I went with a set of hot shoe adapters ($10ea) and used regular old 1/8" stereo cable. Granted that does not get you TTL, but if the OP is using a vivitar manual flash then they don't have that anyway. One of the nice things is such a setup scales to multiple flashes very nicely since you can use cheap stuff from radio shack for all the connections.

Upvote 0
U

unruled

CowGummy said:
unruled said:
neeneko, I agree with you (and have done the same myself), that said even with cheap chinese TTL cables and hotshoe adapters, I wasn't too far off from cactus triggers (~60$) and those work flawlessly in my testing. Id rather cactus over yongnuo.

nobody else here tried cactus before?

Dang, I've just been on the Gadget Infinity site and have to admit - those V5 Cactus triggers look like an even better bet than the RF-602 option! I'm really liking the design, and I found a pretty detailed comparison on flickr for some of these triggers and the Cactus V5 came out tops, even above Pocket Wizards:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157626183761590

Only problem, I believe Gadget Infinity ship from Hong Kong and I would most likely incur import taxes on these, and no idea how long it would take to have them arrive in the UK.
But they look like a real contender to the RF-602 which I thought was going to be the ones I would be getting. Now I'm not so sure.

And going the wired route, if cheapest, might make most sense from a financial point... AArgh!!

my friend from greece that bought some didn't pay import duties afaik.. but maybe he got lucky. How much are the import duties, any idea?

Upvote 0
I use the Aputure Trigmasters, $30 for a tx rx pair and $20 per extra rx unit. They are rated for 100m but you can get further if you have good los between them.

I use them with a 5dii and (2) 580exii's. They do have a new all in one tx/rx unit too now I see.

The ones I have and the new ones can be used to trigger the shutter too if setup right. Plus make sure you buy the right ones, rebel ones don't work with the 5dii for example.

Upvote 0
D

D.Sim

CowGummy said:
Okay, I think I will go with the RF-602 - they seem to be getting the most votes for cheapo triggers, both here and in the flickr strobist group discussions.
I do however really like the look of those phottix strato II. I like the fact that it does give the option of mounting a flash onto the transmitter, but availability in the UK is questionable.
I hear that this would be possible with the RF-603 (Transcievers) as well, but most people appear to prefer the older RF-602 system?

Anyways, thanks again - I think I'm close to ordering and appreciate the input here!

You can mount the flash on the 603 - the 603 works as transmitter AND receiver, so no matter mixing them up too.
And in reply to another post - While they come in Canon/Nikon flavours, thats pretty much the wire that connects the remote trigger to the camera, you can use it without.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Cactus V5's. Good range, reliability and battery life. If you are worried about flash voltage, you can put the flash transmitter on the hot shoe and then put your flash on the transmitter. This should allow you to use "on camera" flash without the voltage problem. Obviously, off camera is fine, too.

One thing I really like about the V5s is that you can use them as a wireless remote control, which you can't do with some of the other cheaper options.

Previously, I was using the V2s. The V2s had poor build quality. After a couple of years, they just stopped working. The V5s seem much better in all apsects. But I've only had them for a few months so can't talk about long term reliability. I've never used pocket wizards, so can't compare directly, but I understand that the build quality is higher and the range is longer. Like most things, you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
I have a 60D and bought the rf602. They worked fine as flash trigger, but are not working as remote controll. Only 603 is working as a remote with 60D. I called the seller at amazon, and they tolled me that I needed 603 for the new cameras, and they then shiped the 603 to me. 602 is also not compatible with 603... So, you need to make a choise between them.

Upvote 0
Maui5150 said:
I have to laugh at the Phottix Odin being called a PW killer.

For one, it has EXTREMELY limited availability, unless you consider eBay as a primary delivery channel. It currently does not appear that there are ANY stores in the US carrying the Odin.

I have asked about the Odins at two stores in the Boston area that carry Phottix (i.e. they are not just a jealous PW shop) and they do not carry the Odins and were not planning to carry the Odins for "reliability" reasons.

How the Strato IIs they do carry and do like, so it also does not seem to be a manufacturer bias.

I am all for competition, cheaper priced items and thing when there are high quality competing products the consumer wins. Have seen the literature, heard some people talk about the Odins, but know no one in the US or North America that carries the Odins or have plans to carry it. And when I see highly established long running shops that carry the manufacturer, but don't plan on carrying a particular product (i.e. it is by choice) that is NEVER a good sign. Tells me stores are worried about returns, service grief and disappointment.

If it was a cheaper PW killer, I am sure stores would be clammering especially being able to sell or upsell people from cheap triggers into "High Quality" TTL at a fraction of PW cost.
I'm kind of surprised to see that response. Odins aren't everywhere like PW, but I just picked up a set of Odins from Midwest Photo Exchange, and I noticed that Adorama and a few other stores are now carrying them so they are becoming much easier to find. I still don't think that Phottix has the best distributor relationship built up yet and I also wouldn't be surprised to see stores reluctant to cut into their PW sales. Who knows? It's so hard to get a straight answer from the guy behind the counter on this kind of stuff.
I was specifically looking for a way to do HSS shooting sports with off camera speedlights since HSS doesn't work very well at any kind of range. I looked at the PWs and just couldn't do it. I know PW IIs are the standard, but I really wanted to use HSS and there are just too many negative issues with the TT5s.
I've been using the Odin's only for a few days, but they haven't misfired once, were ridiculously easy to learn, and being able to adjust every flash function remotely is a dream come true. No more running in the snow just to dial a flash down a stop or change the zoom. Couple buttons to push and that's it. The screen on the back couldn't be easier to use. The only question for me right now is just how far the range on them is. So far I haven't run out of range shooting, and in a couple days I'm going to have a long range showdown with my buddy's PW set. Should be fun.

Upvote 0
SPG said:
Maui5150 said:
I have to laugh at the Phottix Odin being called a PW killer.

For one, it has EXTREMELY limited availability, unless you consider eBay as a primary delivery channel. It currently does not appear that there are ANY stores in the US carrying the Odin.

I have asked about the Odins at two stores in the Boston area that carry Phottix (i.e. they are not just a jealous PW shop) and they do not carry the Odins and were not planning to carry the Odins for "reliability" reasons.

How the Strato IIs they do carry and do like, so it also does not seem to be a manufacturer bias.

I am all for competition, cheaper priced items and thing when there are high quality competing products the consumer wins. Have seen the literature, heard some people talk about the Odins, but know no one in the US or North America that carries the Odins or have plans to carry it. And when I see highly established long running shops that carry the manufacturer, but don't plan on carrying a particular product (i.e. it is by choice) that is NEVER a good sign. Tells me stores are worried about returns, service grief and disappointment.

If it was a cheaper PW killer, I am sure stores would be clammering especially being able to sell or upsell people from cheap triggers into "High Quality" TTL at a fraction of PW cost.
I'm kind of surprised to see that response. Odins aren't everywhere like PW, but I just picked up a set of Odins from Midwest Photo Exchange, and I noticed that Adorama and a few other stores are now carrying them so they are becoming much easier to find. I still don't think that Phottix has the best distributor relationship built up yet and I also wouldn't be surprised to see stores reluctant to cut into their PW sales. Who knows? It's so hard to get a straight answer from the guy behind the counter on this kind of stuff.
I was specifically looking for a way to do HSS shooting sports with off camera speedlights since HSS doesn't work very well at any kind of range. I looked at the PWs and just couldn't do it. I know PW IIs are the standard, but I really wanted to use HSS and there are just too many negative issues with the TT5s.
I've been using the Odin's only for a few days, but they haven't misfired once, were ridiculously easy to learn, and being able to adjust every flash function remotely is a dream come true. No more running in the snow just to dial a flash down a stop or change the zoom. Couple buttons to push and that's it. The screen on the back couldn't be easier to use. The only question for me right now is just how far the range on them is. So far I haven't run out of range shooting, and in a couple days I'm going to have a long range showdown with my buddy's PW set. Should be fun.

i'm curious about the results. could you maybe post somekind of comparison between the Odin and PWs? stuff you do and dont like about the 2 different systems, that would be really great!

Upvote 0
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220480629754?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
these are the exact brand of poverty wizrds i have i have used them up to probably 20m or so range with no problem, I have recently got a set of odins which i'm playing with and liking alot but i still keep these little bad boys
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220629550134?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
i have these too so i can mix my 580s with my studio strobes getting all these triggers and recievers was cheaper than buying some elinchrom genuine bits to do the same thing

Upvote 0
xROELOFx said:
i'm curious about the results. could you maybe post somekind of comparison between the Odin and PWs? stuff you do and dont like about the 2 different systems, that would be really great!
Sure, it's going to be a few days before I can get out and do that PW vs Odin test since me and my PW owning buddy seem to be on opposite schedules. So far there isn't anything I don't like about the Odins. They're just super easy to set up and adjust, and have been nothing but reliable in the short range stuff I've been doing with them. The last thing to check out before I pass final judgement on them will be long range. If they do that, then we have a winner.

Upvote 0
SPG said:
xROELOFx said:
Sure, it's going to be a few days before I can get out and do that PW vs Odin test since me and my PW owning buddy seem to be on opposite schedules. So far there isn't anything I don't like about the Odins. They're just super easy to set up and adjust, and have been nothing but reliable in the short range stuff I've been doing with them. The last thing to check out before I pass final judgement on them will be long range. If they do that, then we have a winner.
I'm loving the group controls on the screen on the back of the odins super easy to tweek your ETTL settings

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.