Anybody Tweaking Picture Styles in a 7D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Does anyone tweak the Picture Style settings in your 7D?

I shoot primarily sports and candids -- people pics of one sort or another. Sometimes I'm looking for a little more saturation and detail, a little extra "pop". My most used lens is the 70-200 f2.8L II with the 17-55 2.8 for close quarters. These lenses are sharp and shooting wide open certainly adds pop, but things can sometimes be a little flat.

I know that shooting RAW eliminates the need to rely on Picture Style, but I'm not always shooting RAW and, RAW or not, prefer to minimize the need for post work.

So, I'm curious to see what others have learned with tweaking in-camera Picture Styles. Do you prefer Canon's default settings or have you found ways to improve them?

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
I typically change most of the Picture Style settings to my liking, directly in the camera. Its easy to overdo it a bit so I tend to back off and then slowly increase the levels to my style of shooting and how I intend to display the image, also with minimal post processing.

Have some fun. There are no bad photos that delete can't remove. Shoot more often.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You can use EOS Utility to load new Picture Styles using the Register new picture style option then browse to a folder on your PC where you can load a .pf2 file - these can be downloaded from numerous places on the web. For instance, I just loaded a new style called AUTUMN_HUES.pf2 onto my 7D as C3 - this particular profile shoots RAW + Highlight Tone Priority + Picture Style Settings 0,-4,-2,0, AWB , and +/- 0 WB shift settings.

Try searching online for .pf2 files

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
DB: Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking for those.

As for the original question, I shoot RAW only and tend to use picture styles to see how I want an image displayed. Mostly my 7D sits on either Landscape or Faithful. That way I can see from the preview if the style is something I want to be going for.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.