Anyone bought a 5DMkII in the last 6 months and now regretting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I was just curious... Out of all the 5DMkII owners on here, did any of you take the plunge in the last 6 months and are now regretting your choice?
Personally, I purchased mine at the end of December last year, so have only had it for just over 2 months now, but I can honestly say I'm still over the moon with my purchase. I managed to get the kit with the 24-105L for just a tad over £2000 when the price was still at that low point last year. Even today, that kit is still over £2200 here in the UK:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod728.html

So, have any new 5Dii owners felt differently and are now experiencing buyers remorse? I myself can't see myself upgrading from the MkII for at least another couple of years...

Nov 28, 2011
I bought mine for $2400 before the price drop to $2k before December, but then I had it for Thanksgiving and Christmas and that was a lot of indoor high ISO stuff.

Hard to regret though, I'm not sure I would/could have gone up to what would have been $4k with all the extras.

But then for me (buying a MkII for $2400, just an extra $1k for good AF and possibly a bit extra ISO?

Dunno, 50/50. I might upgrade again this time next year after seeing what the reviews are like from people using it. I might manage to talk myself out of it though, it would cost $2k to change and that's a lot of nice glass.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
I wouldn't call it regret.

But, the focusing screen is not (user) replaceable in the 5DIII, so that makes me feel a little better.

Making the jump to a 1DX does not look likely for me.

I wonder if Canon has any plans to fill this apparent void.

It will be interesting when someone puts a manual focus lens on their new 5DIII and reports on their findings.

I just may get that 14mm and wait it out. :)

Upvote 0
T

theuserjohnny

mjp said:
Absolutely no regrets. It's a great camera and can take excellent images. I expect to get many years of use out of the 5DII before I upgrade again.

This. Yeah sure its nice to see the new features on the Mark III but by the time I'm ready to upgrade this Mark II I'll be getting whatever new camera will be out from Canon.

Upvote 0
M

MudLee

no regrets, bought new 5DMKII at $2000 CDN and enjoying every minute of shooting and learning how the video features work. Primary use is for stills though: portraiture, weddings, studio and all around camera. FYI - still using a 2005 1DMkII (8MP) for airshows and sports. I worry more about learning how to find the "LIGHT" than the next Canon XXX body and $$$. IMHO cheers! 8)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
NOT AT ALL...I'll tell you why

I bought my 5d II NEW last x-mas at BH for $2000, it cames with software bundle and Extreme Compact Flash. I sold the software for $125. So my 5D II is around $1900.

I recently pre-ordered 5D III, so I sold my 5D II on craiglist for $1945 CASH. A $45 profit went straight into my pocket. Plus I'm still keeping the compact card for 5D III ;)

SO not at allllll

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:

I bought my 5d II NEW last x-mas at BH for $2000, it cames with software bundle and Extreme Compact Flash. I sold the software for $125. So my 5D II is around $1900.

I recently pre-ordered 5D III, so I sold my 5D II on craiglist for $1945 CASH. A $45 profit went straight into my pocket. Plus I'm still keeping the compact card for 5D III ;)

SO not at allllll

wow... hats off to you! Essentially you got paid to own a 5Dii for over a year - big respect!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
CowGummy said:
Dylan777 said:

SO not at allllll

wow... hats off to you! Essentially you got paid to own a 5Dii for over a year - big respect!

No...I only have 5D II for couple months(2011 X-mas), but I tell you what...I enjoyed the 5D II SO MUCH.... ;) My favorite lens for 5d II is 50mm f1.4

Can't wait to put my hands on 5D III.

Upvote 0
M

Miykael81

Not in the slightest. I can't express how thoroughly I am enjoying using (and learning how to use) this camera. I already owned the 24-105L which works fantastic for me.

The only problem I've had is that the files are huge which is choking my late 2007 MacBook Pro to death (Aperture 3 is crazy slow for me even with 4Gb). ;D I guess that's a good problem to have in the long run. The images are Wonderful!

No regrets ;)

Upvote 0
I bought my 5D2 for $1999 USD bundled with $300 street value of software I actually use, so no regrets here.

That said I'm waiting to see the RAW ISO comparison shots between 5D2 and 5D3 to see just what the gains are. Preferably shot in low light since high ISO in good lighting is very different than high ISO in low light.

If the ISO improvement is good enough and if everyone raves about the AF and improved video I might upgrade down the road.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.