Anyone else delaying lens purchases until we know more about mirrorless plans?

RiceCanon said:
Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves delaying lens purchases until we know more about Canon's prosumer mirrorless plans and timeframes? I'm a serious amateur/hobbyist without the luxury of unlimited funds and will be very interested in moving to mirrorless if Canon offers a superb quality full frame mirrorless in the near future.

My question is, if Canon (and Nikon) release killer FF mirrorless bodies, what will that do to their DSLR lineups?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Trigger said:
RiceCanon said:
Is it just me or does anyone else find themselves delaying lens purchases until we know more about Canon's prosumer mirrorless plans and timeframes? I'm a serious amateur/hobbyist without the luxury of unlimited funds and will be very interested in moving to mirrorless if Canon offers a superb quality full frame mirrorless in the near future.

My question is, if Canon (and Nikon) release killer FF mirrorless bodies, what will that do to their DSLR lineups?

Personally, if they released a camera today that was superior in all ways to what I have now, and even if it took the same lenses natively, my current gear would still take great images and I would probably wait a year or so....

If they released a 500F5.6, I would be on that like a fat boy on a wedding cake!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Trigger said:
RiceCanon said:

Personally, if they released a camera today that was superior in all ways to what I have now, and even if it took the same lenses natively, my current gear would still take great images and I would probably wait a year or so....

I feel exactly the same way, everything I have and am using now works great for me. (no matter what the internet says)!
;)

Upvote 0
Trigger said:
RiceCanon said:

As with all technology as mirrorless improves gradually DSLR's sales will fall and at some point in the future production goes away all together. It will not happen next week, next year and most likely not even in the next decade. Maybe in the 2030's.

Anyway that is my crystal ball prediction.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Trigger said:
RiceCanon said:

If they released a 500F5.6, I would be on that like a fat boy on a wedding cake!

Shoot many weddings?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
No. Not waiting. I have a really hard time thinking about what "mirrorless" offers that I want. I've seen the lists and am underwhelmed.

Biggest for me would be AF focus point spread across the entire frame. Once in a long while, I might need high fps...but very infrequently.

So, no, not waiting. I just picked up a couple of EF lenses and am having a great time using those.

Don Haines said:

400 DO II with a 1.4TC...560 f/5.6. I've used it, amazing combination. I know you already are aware...so I am just sayin'..... ;D

Upvote 0
I was going to create a new thread with my question, but I feel that it dovetails into this one, so here goes:

Given the number of years that the 500 & 600 f/4 II lenses have been out, is it bad timing to buy the present version of either? I think I read somewhere that Mark III versions are possibly in the works. Anybody know anything firm on that? Added to the concern of a new version coming out shortly after buying the present version, is the fact that the service expiration date begins to tick closer the moment the new one is released (7 years isn't it?).

New mirrorless bodies also factor in to the potential bad timing it seems.

I'm ready to buy a 500 II, I just think I'd feel that I should have waited if a III comes out within the next year or two, or if mirrorless changes things too.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trigger said:
I'm ready to buy a 500 II, I just think I'd feel that I should have waited if a III comes out within the next year or two, or if mirrorless changes things too.

I won't speak to the timing of III superwhites, but I fail to see how mirrorless will change anything at all on long glass. If FF mirrorless is a new mount, new superwhites won't be natively made for it -- so I see the III superwhites surely being EF and requiring adaptor use for mirrorless.

- A

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Trigger said:
I was going to create a new thread with my question, but I feel that it dovetails into this one, so here goes:

Given the number of years that the 500 & 600 f/4 II lenses have been out, is it bad timing to buy the present version of either? I think I read somewhere that Mark III versions are possibly in the works. Anybody know anything firm on that? Added to the concern of a new version coming out shortly after buying the present version, is the fact that the service expiration date begins to tick closer the moment the new one is released (7 years isn't it?).

As you probably are aware, there have been persistent rumors of smaller/lighter superteles using DO technology. If I were you, looking for a new one now, I would probably wait awhile, or buy used so that you could get back a larger percent of purchase when reselling (maybe) at a later date.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Trigger said:
BeenThere said:
As you probably are aware, there have been persistent rumors of smaller/lighter superteles using DO technology. If I were you, looking for a new one now, I would probably wait awhile...

Would the DO versions fully replace the IIs?
For 1 to 1 replacement, I think Canon would drop the old version after current stock is depleted..

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
docsmith said:
No. Not waiting. I have a really hard time thinking about what "mirrorless" offers that I want. I've seen the lists and am underwhelmed.

Biggest for me would be AF focus point spread across the entire frame. Once in a long while, I might need high fps...but very infrequently.

So, no, not waiting. I just picked up a couple of EF lenses and am having a great time using those.

Don Haines said:

400 DO II with a 1.4TC...560 f/5.6. I've used it, amazing combination. I know you already are aware...so I am just sayin'..... ;D

DO technology has its appeal.... my camera kit on canoe trips already weighs more than my camping gear....

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Don Haines said:
docsmith said:

Don Haines said:

DO technology has its appeal.... my camera kit on canoe trips already weighs more than my camping gear....

I hear you. I tend to go with an M3 with a 18-55 in a small pouch and then something longer mounted to my 5DIV.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
docsmith said:
Don Haines said:
docsmith said:

Don Haines said:

I hear you. I tend to go with an M3 with a 18-55 in a small pouch and then something longer mounted to my 5DIV.

My problem is that I end up in places with dark skies, and that leads to nighttime photography..... and that means FF body, F1.4 lenses, and a heavy tripod..... This is the one time that I feel jealous of the physically smaller Sony cameras....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm selling off my lesser used EF-M lenses and keeping my L glass. I'm now down to just an EF-M 22 and it works for me as I could just glue it to the body and be done. As for EF, I won't be an early adopter of FF ML especially if the body is tiny and besides size, I am in the 'don't see that many advantages (that work for me)'

EF isn't going anywhere.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Trigger said:

Best camera advice (maybe life??). Do not wait. When you are ready, do it. For cameras, when you are ready and have the need, look at what is available and make the best decision you can at that time. There will always be a "new release."

For what it's worth, the rumblings and patents on new lenses can still mean that the new lenses are years away. We have all seen multiple patents for different lenses well before their actual release.

So, you wait based on a rumor, you could easily miss many great photography opportunities.

Upvote 0
docsmith said:
Best camera advice (maybe life??). Do not wait. When you are ready, do it. For cameras, when you are ready and have the need, look at what is available and make the best decision you can at that time. There will always be a "new release."

For what it's worth, the rumblings and patents on new lenses can still mean that the new lenses are years away. We have all seen multiple patents for different lenses well before their actual release.

So, you wait based on a rumor, you could easily miss many great photography opportunities.

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean, and I agree, but on an item of this dollar value, it's a little different. One has pause when the current version is 6-7 years old, and there are rumors of new DO versions. I did own the previous (IS) version of the 500 f/4 for two years, and the weight was an issue. I've been using the 100-400 II for the last ~year, and while it is good and very versatile, the 500 f/4 II keeps me awake at night - LOL. You'd have to admit that the DO version of the 500/600 could indeed be released soon, maybe even announced this Fall, and the feeling (at that time) of having just bought the "old" II version at full price, should that happen, would not be good, especially when size & weight are a huge factor.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Trigger said:
docsmith said:

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean, and I agree, but on an item of this dollar value, it's a little different. One has pause when the current version is 6-7 years old, and there are rumors of new DO versions. I did own the previous (IS) version of the 500 f/4 for two years, and the weight was an issue. I've been using the 100-400 II for the last ~year, and while it is good and very versatile, the 500 f/4 II keeps me awake at night - LOL. You'd have to admit that the DO version of the 500/600 could indeed be released soon, maybe even announced this Fall, and the feeling (at that time) of having just bought the "old" II version at full price, should that happen, would not be good, especially when size & weight are a huge factor.

Sure, but that is why they invented ebay. ;D

Then consider if Canon was to announce Mk III versions of the lenses or DO versions of the 500 f/4 and 600 f/4, I'd expect a price hike over the current Mk II versions. Mk I to Mk II was pretty steep. I'd expect less, maybe $2k. Also, how much of a gain in weight do you really expect? The 400 DO II is 4.6 lbs, the 500 II is 7.0 lbs (w/o hoods). The next gen 500 f/4 would still need the larger front element.

Just some thoughts, I do not mean to pressure you.

Upvote 0