Anyone else hoping for an R with built in vert grip like the 1D?

Dec 13, 2010
I expect that the rumored pro series R will happen and it will have the vertical grip. I have the grip on my R merely in a failed attempt to get my fingers away from triggering the AF point on the edge or corner of the lcd. I wish we had a option to require a double tap to set the AF point.
Why not program the SET-button to Activate/Deactivate touch’n drag?

And I’m absolutely sure there will be an R with the integral grip.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
A bit of an off topic. Anyway. Slightly on the subject. I was watching the Sony A9 II promo video with sports photographer shooting with the a9 Ii indoors and one of the photographers commented on how new A9 Ii body is ergonomically improved and demonstrated how the new A9 II comes with a comfortable grip, plenty of room for his pinky. Excellent ergonomics apparently.
fast forward ... to the scene where he actually shoots with the body: there is a battery grip attached to his camera. There was no battery grip attached to the camera at the time of ergonomics presentation of course. It is all really smokes and mirrors for people that do not pay attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
The first accessory I bought for my R was the battery grip, but when I grab it with a big lens, you can still feel the flex a bit. Maybe in the Sports R, but I do hope they come out with R with a built in grip. Given it's smaller form factor I wouldn't be shocked if they don't, but sure hope they do.
I hope so too. I make full use of my R with grip and see no reason for there not to be larger body with combined grip, 2 x Card slot and a Joystick with a pro version.

I am wondering if the 1DX III could be the 30 mpx 'R' sensor slightly dumbed down to give 30 FPS? Maybe that is another post.

Upvote 0
I hope so too. I make full use of my R with grip and see no reason for there not to be larger body with combined grip, 2 x Card slot and a Joystick with a pro version.

I am wondering if the 1DX III could be the 30 mpx 'R' sensor slightly dumbed down to give 30 FPS? Maybe that is another post.

I think it unlikely, but I kind of hope they do--as long as they can provide it with no blackouts and smooth motion in the EVF. Being able to run RF lenses on it would be very nice.

Upvote 0