Anyone ever buy a used grip?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I've never wanted a grip for my 5D3 badly enough to pony up some $275 for it -- but I also don't want third party 'almost as good' knockoffs -- I'd prefer the real thing with full functionality and solid build quality.

I came across this listing from KEH, and lo and behold, they sell used grips:
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-battery-grip-bg-e11-219848.html?utm_source=Affiliates&utm_medium=RAK&utm_content=k6vsMNPDi6k&ranMID=40706&ranEAID=k6vsMNPDi6k&ranSiteID=k6vsMNPDi6k-waqA7NBi0EmcSkZIl3x5Mw

Worth the gamble? Any chance this is a third party grip hiding as a first party listing? (Not that I can see in this case, but I thought I'd ask all of you.)

- A

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I've had one or two third party grips. Perfectly fine. Second-hand? Any high usage grip I've ever owned would be fine for anyone buying them in the unlikely event I would sell it separately to a no longer needed body.

The only grip I've ever had issues with was a genuine Canon on a 5D Classic. The screw thread on the base of the grip popped out with expensive consequences with a Black Rapid attachment screwed into it. Ouch! No more BR for me!

-pw

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Ahsanford.
I have bought 2 second hand grips, 1 for a 40D and 1 for a 5D, one from a local for sale site, one from a reputable retailer, both excellent. I have also bought new third party grips for 7D and 7DII, both from ebay, both Meike brand, both feel good, shutter buttons feel like the OEM grips. Had one problem, 7D grip (probably) caused some camera buttons to stop responding, the solution was to remove and refit, since that happened it has been fine for a long time. I believe I documented the issue on the forum if you want more info.
Edit, I found my previous post with more info, apparently the problem happened twice, but the real fix was when I took the grip off rather than fiddling the switch.
More here. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21139.msg400890#msg400890

Short answer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy used or third party.

Cheers, Graham.

ahsanford said:
I've never wanted a grip for my 5D3 badly enough to pony up some $275 for it -- but I also don't want third party 'almost as good' knockoffs -- I'd prefer the real thing with full functionality and solid build quality.

I came across this listing from KEH, and lo and behold, they sell used grips:
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-battery-grip-bg-e11-219848.html?utm_source=Affiliates&utm_medium=RAK&utm_content=k6vsMNPDi6k&ranMID=40706&ranEAID=k6vsMNPDi6k&ranSiteID=k6vsMNPDi6k-waqA7NBi0EmcSkZIl3x5Mw

Worth the gamble? Any chance this is a third party grip hiding as a first party listing? (Not that I can see in this case, but I thought I'd ask all of you.)

- A

Upvote 0
I had a third party grip for my 6d. It flexed, the shutter speed dial would not work sometimes until I would change the shutter speed on the camera then it would work on the grip again. I also had a third party grip for my 7d and the screw that mounts to body broke and I pretty much had to rip it off the camera to unscrew it. Since then, I have purchased canon grips for the 7d and my now 5d mark iii and they have both been perfect, and super sturdy. As everyones experiences are different, but from reading your posts on this forum, I would never suggest for you to purchase a third party grip. I won't again either.

Upvote 0
I have bought used grip on craigslist. I find that the best deals to have is email those that you see are selling the body with the grip. Emailing those guys and offering to buy just the grip usually leave you with the best deal. The seller will make more than just selling as a bundle. Its a Win-Win.

otherwise check ebay. best deal is usually the bidding ones instead of buy it now

Upvote 0