Anyone have the g1x and are happy with when your dslr is not around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on this years holiday I took a G1x with waterproof case for speedboat shots of waterskiing and a 5Dii for general shots - in the end I was using them interchangeably both for stills and video. I wouldn't claim the G1x is as good as a 5Dii but I think it is a brilliant camera and the slow autofocus isn't that bad ( it coped with a bumpy speedboat and a bumpy waterskier....) target price in the Uk is now £500 or so so it will be interesting to see how they price the G15

Upvote 0
A

artsmalley

KKCFamilyman said:
Just looking for a much more portable dslr alternative when I cannot bring my gear.

I bought the G1X a little bit after it came out. It has some great points especially image quality. On that point I really had no qualms with it. The longer I had it though the more it bothered me in some regards. The AF is quite slow. Equally as irritating it takes about 3 seconds between shots. Not joking. So it is okay if you are shooting adults who are sitting still or scenery and in no rush. For kids or action I found it pretty useless. Missed so many good shots I decided finally to part ways with it. I sold it last month. The problem was that it was "good enough" that I left the DSLR at home a bunch due to laziness. It became a crutch but a frustrating. Very good in many regards not so good in other. I hope the next or next next version is better.

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
artsmalley said:
KKCFamilyman said:
Just looking for a much more portable dslr alternative when I cannot bring my gear.

I bought the G1X a little bit after it came out. It has some great points especially image quality. On that point I really had no qualms with it. The longer I had it though the more it bothered me in some regards. The AF is quite slow. Equally as irritating it takes about 3 seconds between shots. Not joking. So it is okay if you are shooting adults who are sitting still or scenery and in no rush. For kids or action I found it pretty useless. Missed so many good shots I decided finally to part ways with it. I sold it last month. The problem was that it was "good enough" that I left the DSLR at home a bunch due to laziness. It became a crutch but a frustrating. Very good in many regards not so good in other. I hope the next or next next version is better.

Thanks I was afraid of that. Just waiting for the next version if there is one.

Upvote 0
I have an old DSLR and a G11. I bought G1X for good image quality on our planned tour of Europe. I practiced before we left and am extremely pleased with the results. Did not have to lug heavy, big stuff. Got great pics. Others on trip had pocketable compacts and DSLRS. I have not compared results but the G1X delivered. I am 6'-3" and could hold the G1X over the heads of crowds, tilt the screen so I could see and blaze away. Highly recommend although there are newer cameras that may be better or as good. Maybe, just maybe, Canon will come out with a successor!!!!

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
I have the G1X and have taken it on several hiking adventures where carrying the DSLR wouldn't be as much fun.

I have shot with it nearly 2000 photos and was somwhat disapointed in the image quality after hearing so many good reviews of IQ.

It turns out, after trying a friend's G1X and his wife's G15, that I have a stuck iris and so the aperture is not changing... it is stuck at about f14 or so. I hadn't noticed until recently because most of what I have been photographing has been landscapes from high vantage points. Once I started trying to capture shallower DOF images, the image quality started to really show itself as lacking.

Just FYI - if you're a G1X owner - might be worth checking to see if your iris is moving through a reasonable range or not. I didn't have any error codes or any erratic behavoir of the camera itself.

The way I checked it was to set the camera in Av (aperture priority) and then use the front finger dial to change from f2.8 through f16 to see if I could visually see the iris change. It did not. It takes about 30 seconds to check it. I have heard that some of the much earlier G-series cameras and a few of the S-series had an issue with the aperture getting stuck as well.

Really just an FYI if you aren't getting the image quality you'd hoped to get out of your G1X - might be worth sending to Canon to have them check it out. Mine is on it's way in right now.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
I had the G15, then the G1X, My youngest Son used them in Underwater housings for Underwater Video & Imaging, IQ is only reasonable I feel, when compared to a decent slr, the delay in Shutter is an absolute killer and takes some getting used to.

Portability is of course excellent, but you give up too much to get it.

My son now uses the 6D and is much happier with this Camera than the Point & shoots.

Have a look at the new Sony a7, or the X series Cameras from Fuji, might be a better fit, Good Luck with your researching.

Upvote 0
Had the G1X but got rid of it, not because of the image quality but because I don't like composing with live view. The optical view finder sucks, no other way to put it. However, I thought the images it captured were quite good. It has a totally different feel regarding the menu controls, and it took me some time to get used to the feel. Overall, though, a good camera.

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
mnclayshooter said:
I have the G1X and have taken it on several hiking adventures where carrying the DSLR wouldn't be as much fun.

I have shot with it nearly 2000 photos and was somwhat disapointed in the image quality after hearing so many good reviews of IQ.

It turns out, after trying a friend's G1X and his wife's G15, that I have a stuck iris and so the aperture is not changing... it is stuck at about f14 or so. I hadn't noticed until recently because most of what I have been photographing has been landscapes from high vantage points. Once I started trying to capture shallower DOF images, the image quality started to really show itself as lacking.

Just FYI - if you're a G1X owner - might be worth checking to see if your iris is moving through a reasonable range or not. I didn't have any error codes or any erratic behavoir of the camera itself.

The way I checked it was to set the camera in Av (aperture priority) and then use the front finger dial to change from f2.8 through f16 to see if I could visually see the iris change. It did not. It takes about 30 seconds to check it. I have heard that some of the much earlier G-series cameras and a few of the S-series had an issue with the aperture getting stuck as well.

Really just an FYI if you aren't getting the image quality you'd hoped to get out of your G1X - might be worth sending to Canon to have them check it out. Mine is on it's way in right now.

An unhappy update: After being told by the customer service rep to send the camera in as it was WARRANTY repair work... I got an estimate to repair today of $270.78 to fix something that came from the factory not working correctly. Good luck to all of you who need to get repair on your powershot. I guess only EOS customers matter to Canon.

A new much happier update: Canon, after several chat sessions, emails and a phone call did repair the camera under warranty. Replaced the entire optical assembly at no charge. It works beautifully now.

Just FYI - takes about 10 seconds and very little effort to test your aperture... might be worth checking yours!

Upvote 0
I had the G1X which I thought would replace my DLux 2. It didn't. Then I tried a Fuji X20 and was pleased, but
not so much as to get rid of the DLux. Then I replaced them both with a DLux 5 and I don't think I'll bother with
the G1Xii. The only way I'll consider it is if someone decides to hack off the lens and replace it with a FD mount.

Upvote 0
Just recently I acquired a G1X Mark II. After initial trials I can state the following (rather subjective) findings:
  • Camera reaction speed is quite decent for a compact. Of course it is not in the same league concerning speed to a decent DSLR, but for a compact it is pretty good.
  • Camera useability with the new lens design is really good once I got used to the controls. There are lots of customization options. What is important for me is that both tapping the touch screen to set focus as well as manual focus work fine.
  • Image quality may be the same as the previous model (I didn't buy the original G1X, so I can't compare), but it is not in any way comparable to a good DSLR. At ISO 3200, which is the default limit in sensitivity I can still take shots, which look good on a postcard size print, but it is not good for anything larger. Giving up on what I am used to in terms of image quality for me is the primary drawback in using it.

There remains the benefit of portability. Nevertheless, even if I can now catch moments I would have otherwise missed, I always rue the difference in image quality compared to my 5D Mark III or 1D-X.

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
Just recently I acquired a G1X Mark II. After initial trials I can state the following (rather subjective) findings:
  • Camera reaction speed is quite decent for a compact. Of course it is not in the same league concerning speed to a decent DSLR, but for a compact it is pretty good.
  • Camera useability with the new lens design is really good once I got used to the controls. There are lots of customization options. What is important for me is that both tapping the touch screen to set focus as well as manual focus work fine.
  • Image quality may be the same as the previous model (I didn't buy the original G1X, so I can't compare), but it is not in any way comparable to a good DSLR. At ISO 3200, which is the default limit in sensitivity I can still take shots, which look good on a postcard size print, but it is not good for anything larger. Giving up on what I am used to in terms of image quality for me is the primary drawback in using it.

There remains the benefit of portability. Nevertheless, even if I can now catch moments I would have otherwise missed, I always rue the difference in image quality compared to my 5D Mark III or 1D-X.
If you were go on vacation would you just take the G1X.M2 or do you bring along a 5D3 or 1D-X too?

Upvote 0
Jamesy said:
If you were go on vacation would you just take the G1X.M2 or do you bring along a 5D3 or 1D-X too?

On vacation I will carry my 1D-X and 5D Mark III plus a bunch of lenses. I wouldn't go on vacation without it.

For space-limited business travel I will bring the G1X Mark II as my go-everywhere camera, especially in case I fly with some of those airlines restricting carry-on luggage weight to merely 8kg.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.