Anyone have the RF 85mm yet?

SwissFrank

EOS RP
Dec 9, 2018
It's available in Japan and I may swing by Bic Camera to take a gander. I bought my R, RF 50 and RF24-105 mint used at a fair discount though, and I'd like to do the same with the 85, so I may not be able to buy it for a month or two. I'd like to sell the EF85/1.2 ASAP before the price drops, but on the other hand I'd like to A/B compare them.

Last edited:

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
That will be my next lens. I lust for it real bad. Unless... a fast 70-135 or 70-200 comes out before Christmas. Mr. Viggo has one and talks very highly of it. The reviews are very good too.

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I have it and it pretty much became an AllTime top 5 favorite lens right off the bat. I'm just editing some stuff in Lr, and I can tell you the 35 L II and 85 L IS doesn't reach half way to the RF50 and especially the RF85. I find the AF of the 85 to be even snappier and more dead on than the RF50, and less vignetting and even sharper, but of course, both stellar lenses. Here's one shot at f1.2. And, in case you wondered, it's not CA on the stripes, they are dark blue, lol.

arthurbikemad

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 19, 2015
UK
Looks awesome!

Just got my EOS R and the RF 50mm 1.2.

Seeing that image....think I may get the RF 85 for Christmas (must be that blue goo) hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Viggo

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Looks awesome!

Just got my EOS R and the RF 50mm 1.2.

Seeing that image....think I may get the RF 85 for Christmas (must be that blue goo) hahaha
It sure does help! loads of contrast and goodness at f1.2. It's like the 200 f2, no need to stop down to improve IQ.

Reactions: arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 19, 2015
UK
It sure does help! loads of contrast and goodness at f1.2. It's like the 200 f2, no need to stop down to improve IQ.
Thanks, I have the 200/2, much love for it other than it's size, hardly ever use it and I'm lazy so always opt for the 135 (just had to slip that into the convo haha). However this year I've seen the light - no pun - I love the smaller form factor of the EOS R (edit: the 85 is as big as a barrel I know) and think I would be happy with a couple of nice RF primes to go with it, I say that as if I intent to sell my bulky gear and I don't, I love portraits and my kids, so I have no reason to justify the money in the new 85 as, after all, memories are "priceless" :D

Well, that's my excuse anyway :D

Last edited:

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks, I have the 200/2, much love for it other than it's size, hardly ever use it and I'm lazy so always opt for the 135 (just had to slip that into the convo haha). However this year I've seen the light - no pun - I love the smaller form factor of the EOS R and think I would be happy with a couple of nice RF primes to go with it, I say that as if I intent to sell my bulky gear and I don't, I love portraits and my kids, so I have no reason to justify the money in the new 85 as, after all, memories are "priceless" :D

Well, that's my excuse anyway :D
My main argument for getting the 50 and 85, create memories for the kids of the kids for myself. No use waiting.

I’ve owned the 200 f2 twice and I simply love the lens, but with my health it is too heavy.

arthurbikemad

EOS 7D MK II
Jul 19, 2015
UK
My main argument for getting the 50 and 85, create memories for the kids of the kids for myself. No use waiting.

I’ve owned the 200 f2 twice and I simply love the lens, but with my health it is too heavy.
Agree about the 200mm, I keep mine as its such a classic lens, also I paid much the same for it as the new 85 so a deal, also it can be used with converters if you want a 280 or 400.. anyway my point is merely it's sharpness, many now complain that sharpness is not a good quality of a portrait photo, some "softer" lenses certainly do serve well (render nice), I loved my old EF 85 1.2 and on the 1DX2 the focus speed was halved(ish) over the 5D4 and I certainly had less misses, however as a pixel peeper I was always frustrated with the focus, same was the case with the old 50mm 1.2, amazing shots just soft where I felt it needed to be sharper, namely in the eye, the sole reason I got the EOS R and 50 1.2. Problem solved.

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
Agree about the 200mm, I keep mine as its such a classic lens, also I paid much the same for it as the new 85 so a deal, also it can be used with converters if you want a 280 or 400.. anyway my point is merely it's sharpness, many now complain that sharpness is not a good quality of a portrait photo, some "softer" lenses certainly do serve well (render nice), I loved my old EF 85 1.2 and on the 1DX2 the focus speed was halved(ish) over the 5D4 and I certainly had less misses, however as a pixel peeper I was always frustrated with the focus, same was the case with the old 50mm 1.2, amazing shots just soft where I felt it needed to be sharper, namely in the eye, the sole reason I got the EOS R and 50 1.2. Problem solved.
I would much rather start with a very sharp shot that can be toned down than to have to deal with the EF 50 L, I greatly missed an excellent 50. And as you say the RF50 truly solves that problem. The AF also solves A LOT of issues for me, even the 1dx2 wasn’t anywhere near the R for shallow dof.

Reactions: arthurbikemad