Anyone know how to achieve this look and color??

Using curves, you should be able to achieve something pretty close. The low-contrast look mostly comes from clipping the shadows and then raising the black level. Start with a strong s-curve then bring up the bottom end so that you almost get a horizontal line slightly above zero. To get the colours, add a reverse s-curve to the blue channel (adding blue to the shadows, adding yellow to the highlights) and a normal s-curve to the red channel (adding cyan in the shadows, red in the highlights). Experiment with the relative strengths of each curve until you're happy.

Hopefully that's clear enough to understand. If you're still confused try a google search for "faded film using curves" or similar. There are a number of tutorials available.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
MonteGraham said:
Anyone know how to achieve this look and color??
Funny answers.

This is a variation of Blockbuster color grading.
If you search the internet on the topic you would find a lot of how to especially from video/film folks.
You can find some paid presets as well.

The way how I achieve mine is by using color balance in Photoshop. Don't ask me the detail as I created some actions 3 years ago and I don't remember the detail anymore.
Anyway, generally speaking you create 3 of them. One for the shadow, one for the mid-tone and one for the highlights.
In this scenario, I would add cyan and blue in the shadow, orange and yellow in the mid, yellow and red (or could be green) in the highlights. You need to play with the ratio until you get the effect you want then create an action so that you could re-use it next time. The key is to shoot the photos under same condition so you could achieve fairly close repetition. You may need to use some brush masking as well from time to time.

Good luck!
Color grading forum would be the right place to find advanced users. I know just the basics.

Upvote 0
i'm looking at this, and it's a very simple look that can be achieved with curves.

first, go to the brightness channel and drag the black point up on the y axis. then, drag the white point down on the y axis. then, make a bit of an s-curve leaving the black and white points where they are. that right there is the bulk of the effect. it makes the blacks brighter, and the whites dimmer - that gives it the faded look. the s-curve brings back some of the contrast.

then, go to the blue channel, and drag the bright point down the y axis - this will add a yellow tint to the highlights. you can also drag the dark point up a bit, which will make the blacks turn blue, but it doesn't look like that's the case here.

then, go to the red channel, and add a tiny bit of reds in the middle of the curve - this will tint everything red without changing the darkest and brightest parts.

finally, go to the green channel and do what you did with the red channel.

i have to say that this is just me thinking about what i would do, and i don't have PS or LR open, so i am probably off a bit. but, don't go buying plugin's like VSCO or whatever, because about 99% of what they do is mess with curves, and you can do that on your own. just experiment and have fun.

Upvote 0
Agree with what most of the others have said. All this stuff can be done with a few adjustments in curves and a few other minor tweaks in color.

However, VSCO, Nik, DxO and Alien Skin all offer ways to do this and other variants with little to no effort if that is what you're looking for.

If I had to guess, this is probably closest to one of the polaroid emulations (available in VSCO 03).

Upvote 0