Anyone upgrading?

P

Pookie

Possibly, in about a year. I own 7 5D3's for my wedding business... two for me, 4 for second crews and one mint in the box for posterity. I'm not in any rush to make the upgrade currently as I will most likely have to buy 4 right off the bat. Maybe in a year the prices will drop a bit too. Besides, I love the 5D3, first camera that did it all right for me. Not perfect but perfectly usable and were very comfortable with the gear Also have a 645z that is pulling a lot of shutter time currently so my hands are full now.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
Pookie said:
Possibly, in about a year. I own 7 5D3's for my wedding business... two for me, 4 for second crews and one mint in the box for posterity. I'm not in any rush to make the upgrade currently as I will most likely have to buy 4 right off the bat. Maybe in a year the prices will drop a bit too. Besides, I love the 5D3, first camera that did it all right for me. Not perfect but perfectly usable and were very comfortable with the gear Also have a 645z that is pulling a lot of shutter time currently so my hands are full now.

Hey Pookie, a bit o/t here, but what lenses are you using with the 645Z?

d.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

d said:
Pookie said:

d.

Currently using two; the 90mm f/2.8 D FA and a 55mm f/2.8. The 90 is by far the best and stay on the body 99% of the time.

I'll be evaluating some legacy glass in the off season but too busy now to really delve into that.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

WillT said:
Nice! I thought long and hard about the 645Z. At the end of the day I went back to what I know with the Canon 5dsr to compliment my 5d3's. Pentax seems to be putting out some nice gear with the medium format and the K-1.

Prior to buying I rented a 5DSr but loved the look of the Pentax so went that way instead. Both great cameras...

The real shock to me has been film... starting to incorporate it more and more now that I'm getting comfortable with it. Medium format has really been a game changer and I'm shocked at how many clients are actually interested in having it used over digital. Next year I may offer it solely if I get enough takers... A big leap I know but I using Canon's less and less for personal work.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

mozart said:
I have upgraded from the 5d Mark iii, The Mark 4 is a very massive improvement. NIGHT AND DAY!! All around cleaner sharper and higher quality images. The dynamic range is incredible in comparing the mark 3. If you really need it to create better cleaner and higher quality shots. Its worth the upgrade 110%.

That's funny because I belong to a very qualified group of wedding photography professionals, where many have now had hands on with their own 5D4's and this is not a what's been reported or what I've seen. It's a def improvement but night and day... nope, many are now on the fence about the change.

I'm sure you love yours, enjoy it... but from a business standpoint it's not wise to jump ship in the season where a disruption will slow work... especially when you rep could suffer.

Upvote 0
Pookie said:
d said:
Pookie said:

d.

Currently using two; the 90mm f/2.8 D FA and a 55mm f/2.8. The 90 is by far the best and stay on the body 99% of the time.

I'll be evaluating some legacy glass in the off season but too busy now to really delve into that.

Hi Pookie
Can you post some portraits with combo 645z + 90mm please ?
Regards

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Upvote 0
brad-man said:
I'm not a wedding photographer, but I thought I'd share this deal. $2430 for gray market @ 6ave:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Only/322872737750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I had to pick one up as that's not much more than I paid for my 5Dll. I don't need a grip or a printer or I would have got it from the B&H sale.

These deals on the 5D MkIV and 6D MkII are terrific. I'm not in the market for either, but I if I were...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
To what?

Are you seriously saying 2/3 stop only at 100 iso is a big enough difference to make a difference? By iso 160 they are all essentially equal. How often do you shoot at iso 100 and need 2/3 stop more DR?

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon%20EOS%205D%20Mark%20IV,Nikon%20D850,Sony%20ILCE-7RM3

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 12.01.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 12.01.14 PM.png
    251.6 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
Not sure. I'm still using a 5DMII along with a 7DMII and Fujifilm X-T10. I was looking at some recent files from my 5DMII the past couple of days and like them a lot. I love the colours and generally like the files. The Fuji produces great images but there's something about Canon files that are more appealing to me. I'm really not sure how much an upgrade will benefit me. The DR thing isn't all that important to me. If I do upgrade it'll probably be to either an X-T2 or 6DMII (yes, I know they have different sensor dimensions). I know the latter's had a bad run from reviewers but I suspect it might work O.K. for me. I'd rather have the Mark IV but the extra price bump doesn't really seem worth it. However, I might just stick with what I've got and upgrade some lenses. I'm not a pro, so the issue isn't of much consequence.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Pookie said:
That's funny because I belong to a very qualified group of wedding photography professionals, where many have now had hands on with their own 5D4's and this is not a what's been reported or what I've seen. It's a def improvement but night and day... nope, many are now on the fence about the change.

I'm sure you love yours, enjoy it... but from a business standpoint it's not wise to jump ship in the season where a disruption will slow work... especially when you rep could suffer.

I sat on my 5D3 when the 5D4 came out as I (somewhat correctly) presumed that (a) it would only be a modest* bump over the 5D3 sensor-wise and (b) my sensor wasn't limiting my growth as a photographer -- I was. Until I put in more time and logged the flight hours and raised my game, buying something better wouldn't have made my photos any better.

But I'm an enthusiast with one 5D3, not seven like you. The fiscal rationale for professionals is entirely different, one would imagine.

*But on the topic of (a) above, if you shoot base ISO all the time, the 5D4 is one of two Canon FF bodies that got hooked up with the on-chip ADC hotness we'd seen EXMOR clean house with for years. It's more than just a modest improvement on that end of the ISO dial -- it's somewhere between 1.5-2 stops of DR improvement, which is a nice delta if you live on a tripod and sky is in the frame. But otherwise, it's a modestly better but not explosively better D800/D800E/D810 vs. D700 sort of proposition.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
bholliman said:
brad-man said:
I'm not a wedding photographer, but I thought I'd share this deal. $2430 for gray market @ 6ave:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Only/322872737750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I had to pick one up as that's not much more than I paid for my 5Dll. I don't need a grip or a printer or I would have got it from the B&H sale.

These deals on the 5D MkIV and 6D MkII are terrific. I'm not in the market for either, but I if I were...

+1. Staggeringly good deal for a new camera.

- A

Upvote 0