Anyone use a CamRanger with an iPad?

I'm looking into a CamRanger to use with my 5DM3 and an iPad. I would like to use the iPad just to check focus and composition.

1. I shoot .CR2 though I guess I need to shoot RAW and .JPG if I want to use a CamRanger?

2. How long is the lag between shooting and having the .JPG appear on the iPad?

3. I guess it would be nice to have .CR2 files automtically be sent to the iPad so they are backed up there also. Is this a bad idea for any reason? Can this just be done in the background?

4. Anything else I might want to know about a CamRanger to iPad workflow?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 25, 2011
I'd take the money and upgrade to a 5D MK IV. The Wi-Fi is slow and has a delay it was state of the art several years ago when they adapted a $15 wi-fi transmitter to a camera. Now, we keep getting higher MP bodies, and the already slow WI-Fi used by Cam Ranger is looking very slow. There is a lot of 3rd party software for Canon wi-fi equipped cameras that works well, wi-fi is just as slow, but you get a new camera.

With virtually all new cameras having built-in wi-fi, you might find used units in the $100-$150 range, which is still overpriced for $15 hardware.
I doubt very much if they are selling many units, so that means that future camera support will be in doubt.
As for the 150 ft range, thats wishful thinking, but 6-15 ft should get a good signal at the full speed which is slow.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kat.
Have you thought about the alternative of an EyeFi card, (or Toshiba equivalent, they have a licence from EyeFi.) to send small jpegs to the iPad. It doesn’t control the camera, but you don’t mention wanting that and is not as fast as sending it down a wire, but it has the benefit of not having a wire.
I have one and use it infrequently to send shots to either an iPhone, iPad or a smaller Samsung tablet, if you use burst mode be prepared to wait a while for it to catch up, the time will depend on file size as well as camera shielding and possibly other factors like other Wi-fi in the area.
Not a perfect solution but cheaper than cam ranger.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the replies. I was going to pick one up used. I'm not yet ready to invest in a new body, so in the meantime I was looking into this and I also looked into the EyeFi cards, though I read that they were no longer supported and may no longer work?

I would be using the CamRanger over a very short distance, and I have fast WiFi so I was hoping there would be minimal lag, though if it ends up taking much time I will not end up using it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I own the Canon 5D Mark IV and was really excited when it came with the new wifi capability. I've shot tethered (with a cable) quite a bit, and the idea of transmitting images directly to an iPad for immediate review was something I really wanted.

In reality, I had a hard time with the 5D wifi as well. It does work as advertised, but I found myself spending too much time adjusting the settings, setting up the wifi network, having it disconnect, etc. When on a shoot, I need to spend the time actually shooting and not messing with the camera.

I shot with a friend a few months ago who used a CamRanger and I found it a great solution. I purchased on almost immediately and use it regularly today. It's easy, works 100% of the time with almost no setup (plug it in, turn in on), and transmits the images instantly - just a few seconds each (when you set your camera to RAW+Jpeg, it only transmits the smaller jpegs to the iPad for speed). The CamRanger broadcasts its own network and works to about 150 feet distance. If you set your camera to capture RAW+Jpeg (small), photos take 2-3 seconds to appear on the iPad.

I wrote more details on my blog, if you'd like to read more:
https://www.chrisconstantinephoto.com/this-thing-is-awesome/

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kat.
I see you went with the CamRanger, I hope it serves you well and does what you need.
Yes the older EyeFi x2 versions were / will be unsupported due to security issues, the newer units are supposed to be unaffected.
I was alarmed by the sensationalist headlines / clickbait until I looked into it a bit further.

Cheers, Graham.

kat.hayes said:
Thanks so much for the replies. I was going to pick one up used. I'm not yet ready to invest in a new body, so in the meantime I was looking into this and I also looked into the EyeFi cards, though I read that they were no longer supported and may no longer work?

I would be using the CamRanger over a very short distance, and I have fast WiFi so I was hoping there would be minimal lag, though if it ends up taking much time I will not end up using it.

Thanks.

Upvote 0