Anyone using the Wimberley MH-100 MonoGimbal head?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
This might be my next purchase. I have seen all the (3) reviews out there and they are pretty positive but wanted to reach out to the brilliant minds here at CR and se who has had real world experience.

TIA

Reactions: 1 user
This might be my next purchase. I have seen all the (3) reviews out there and they are pretty positive but wanted to reach out to the brilliant minds here at CR and se who has had real world experience.

TIA
[/QUOTE

I have been using the MonoGimbal (and early prototypes) for a very long time (in fact I helped develop it)
Yes it does everything the reviewers claim, and makes using a long k ok end a lot easier.

It also does a lot more stuff the reviewers have not yet discovered.

It can be used with a monopod pouch or flag carrier such as Annin 660018 for a whole new world of uses!

It can also be mounted and balanced while the camera is put down and the monopod is still folded (this makes set up super simple)

Hopefully some of these additional functions will be discovered for future videos.

if you use a long lens with lens ring, you will want the MonoGimbal

P.S. Use with a monopod that is rated 3x the weight of your equipment, and is tall enough for your comfort. The MonoGimbal will not add much height to the monopod.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Hi sclick, I have recently purchased one and so far am pleased with it. i use it with the 600 F4 MK3 and once clamped it is good to use, although it is a bit fiddly to balance it all whilst clamping, I have a RRS replacement foot which keeps the lens close to the monopod so less tipping effect. One point to notice the base width fitting is quite small to help keep the lens close to the monopod and I originally had an RRS lever clamp to speed up the assembly but the width of this clashed with either lens end or the other depending how it was fitted. so I have now replaced the RRS lever clamp with a 50mm Arca swiss clamp which gives more space at both ends. Also carrying a large lens mounted on it your shoulder is a lot easier than with a full gimbal head.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hi sclick, I have recently purchased one and so far am pleased with it. i use it with the 600 F4 MK3 and once clamped it is good to use, although it is a bit fiddly to balance it all whilst clamping, I have a RRS replacement foot which keeps the lens close to the monopod so less tipping effect. One point to notice the base width fitting is quite small to help keep the lens close to the monopod and I originally had an RRS lever clamp to speed up the assembly but the width of this clashed with either lens end or the other depending how it was fitted. so I have now replaced the RRS lever clamp with a 50mm Arca swiss clamp which gives more space at both ends. Also carrying a large lens mounted on it your shoulder is a lot easier than with a full gimbal head.
[/QUOTE

To mount and balance put your camera down anywhere safe.

Attach you folded monopod with MonoGimbal to the Lens.
Lift the rig a few inches from the Monopod to check balance.
Put camera down and adjust balance point
When rig is balanced extent your monopod and start using.
This is the easiest method to set it up.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0