Anyone will buy a DSLR now?

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
There is nothing Canon has that could tempt me to go mirrorless. What does Canon have to replace my 5DSR? What about very low light autofocus and battery life or sensor resolution? I do not want a smaller body. If I was starting from scratch I might be tempted by Panasonic's new FF entry, might being the operative word. If my 5DSR was stolen today I would replace it tomorrow with another 5DSR. Does that answer your question??

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Thank you all for the insights. I had my 1dx2 and many lenses stolen. So am sort of starting from scratch. Yes I know the mirrorless is not perfect yet but with the aggressiveness Canon is churning out R mount lenses - fantastic range and quality, I am sure soon there will be great mirrorless cameras as well. So I am very vary or buying a DSLR anymore. One thing is certain to me - The resale value of DSLR will keep going down. And for someone like me who likes to upgrade every time a new camera comes, this is an important factor.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I own both a 7D Mk II and an 80D. The 7D Mk II is for action photography: mainly aircraft photography and some wildlife like BIF. The 80D is for landscape, vacation, family, still life.

I want a more modern (i.e. capable) cropped camera for my action photography, so I am anxiously awaiting the 7D Mk III ..... if and when it comes. I planned to get me a new DSLR for cropped action photography by the end of 2019 (to be ready for the '2020 season'). I hope it can be Canon.
The reason to stick to DSLR is mainly because of the reasons already mentioned by AlanF for BIF.

As a future replacement for my 80D, a mirrorless may be the next camera for me there.
For these areas, the functionality of an EVF seems nice. On the down side, I would just have to give up having this as a backup camera for my action photography (but if the 7D Mk III comes, as long as my current 7D Mk II works I would still have no problem there either).

The pessimist me feels there will not be a 7DIII. Actually I feel there will be very few (if any) new DSLR's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aside from birding and wildlife photography another problem with R (or any mirrorless) is the AF illuminator. If you like using flashes, strobes, and light modifiers, mirrorless is still weak at autofocusing when there isn't enough light. The R is much better than some cameras like the A7R3 with less light, but I can't always use a big aperture lens, and sometimes, the ambient light is just not very much. like just a fireplace.

But anyways, wysiwig/EVF isn't all that helpful when it comes to flash photography;

The biggest shortcoming with flash work with mirrorless is not being able to utilize the AF illuminator grid on external flashes. I've done a lot of low light event work in the past and found it to be immensely useful and is largely unobtrusive. With my Sony and pretty much all mirrorless bodies, you have to use the bright AF illuminator led which brightens up a small area in front of the camera. It does feel like amateur hour sometimes, to the point I turn it off.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The biggest shortcoming with flash work with mirrorless is not being able to utilize the AF illuminator grid on external flashes. I've done a lot of low light event work in the past and found it to be immensely useful and is largely unobtrusive. With my Sony and pretty much all mirrorless bodies, you have to use the bright AF illuminator led which brightens up a small area in front of the camera. It does feel like amateur hour sometimes, to the point I turn it off.

Yes, I absolutely agree. I turn off the AF illuminator LED as well. I'm sure they will eventually figure out a way to service this with mirrorless, and then I will be much happier with MILCs.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this has been brought up before. I have not been regular here of late. With all the new RF lenses coming out, is there anyone here who will continue to buy DSLR? I know I will not. Thank you.

Yes I will, as long as possible. I don't get the advantage of these uncomfortable litte cameras with their electronic viewfinders. It's like new cars with automatic transmission: wouldn't take it for free. My EOS 5DII already felt like an expensive compromise since it had features I really wanted (full frame sensor mostly) but also stuff that I still wish it didn't have - like autofocus and such. I know, crazy.
I'm really the Leica type but couldn't afford it at the time. Or to use the automotive comparison again: now that BMW is getting rid of the manual transmission in their regular cars (M3 remains to be seen...) I may end up getting a classic 911. Maybe it's time to sell my Canon gear and buy a Leica with two lenses and call it a day.

Upvote 0