Anyone with a 600mm II want to help me ID what these parts are?

This is an image from eBay, I've tried to contact the seller with little luck. Maybe you guys here know. I recently got a 600mm Mk II used but i suspect it's not complete. So I'm curious as to what the retail lens actually comes with. I found this picture on eBay which looks promising but I can't figure out what the two items in foreground are...

Namely, the black "strap" like thing on the bottom left and then white thing on the middle-right (in front of the lens strap).

My first thought was the white thing is the lens foot, but it doesn't look deep enough to be the default foot? Maybe it's a monopod foot? Does a 600mm II come with a monopod foot by default or is that an additional accessory?

As for the black thing, is that the carry strap for the case? The case itself looks to have attach points for a strap... does it by default come with a case strap?

Oh, and one more question, does the case itself have a serial number? I haven't found one... But that might say more about my poor perception than... ya know...

Wei

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
The black strap is...a strap. The lens is heavy, Canon puts strap lugs on the barrel and includes a strap. There’s also a shoulder strap for the case. (Both of those straps are still in the hard case, which is in the attic.)

The thing that looks like a lens foot is...a lens foot. They provide two, the installed one is the standard foot for a tripod/gimbal, the other is a shorter one intended for use with a monopod (Both of mine are in the hard case in the attic, I use the Really Right Stuff replacement foot instead.)

I doubt the case has a serial number, but I didn’t look closely.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Thanks Neuro! It appears my used copy is missing the monopod foot and both the case and lens straps. I'm not too upset about the straps but that foot is a bummer. I do intend to use the lens on a monopod... I also noticed that Canon doesn't list any of these things in their lens accessories section or "what's in the box" description on their web page. But they do list the rear dust cap? I guess I'll have to call them for details.

Thanks again!

Wei

Upvote 0
The strap has been a fairly standard item with each of the great white lenses. 800 f/5.6, original 600 and V2, 200-400, 400 f/2.8 are the ones I know of personally. Outside possible authentic resale value, you are not missing much. Like Neuro, mine is stored in the original transport case along with the feet as the RRS foot just makes more sense. I'll check my old Canon parts catalogs to see if they list a P/N for the straps.

I've never seen a serial on the cases. The 600 II, 400 f/2.8 II, and 200-400 all use the same outer shell of the case and they stack nicely. The older 600 and 800 had a different case, also not serialized. Was thinking of making a CaseHenge out of them for laughs but that would be a very rainy day at work.

Upvote 0
I called Canon, it was a bit of back and forth as even they didn't have anything listed in their parts catalog for straps! After some snooping around, it appears the wide strap B is the official strap for the 300/400/500/600 mk2 family. The official listing only specifies compatibility with the 300/400 mk2 lenses though (I think the 300/400 came out a year earlier vs the 500/600? The documentation doesn't look to have been updated). As for the case strap... there is no item/part/model number. The only way to source and replacement is to purchase a whole new case. The monopod foot was pretty easy to find.

For the record here's their official pricing:
Monopod foot: $132.25
Lens wide strap B: $55
Case strap: ?

I think I can live without any of the above, but here's a reference for anyone else who finds themselves in my position. As for sticker shock, those prices are almost reasonable? Or maybe this is the classic definition of Stockholm Syndrome?

Last edited:
Upvote 0