Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Pretty pathetic that I should be posting my first sample photo with the 1DX II that's not very good but that's exactly why. I'd like to hear if it appears to be what I should expect for IQ given that it's ISO 12800.

400 DO II X2 III F8 1/800 ISO 12800 Neutral Sharpness moved to 0 in DPP AF AI servo spot focus point ended up mid wing. Weather has not cooperated with me (6" of snow yesterday!!) for AFMA.

Jack

Attachments

• Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 235
  • Downy crop.JPG
    Downy crop.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 231
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
I'm picking up a 1Dx2 and 300 f2.8 (Mk1) on Friday. ;D Only on weekend rental, mind you, but at least I will see what all the fuss is about and decide if I go lens or body as my next step.

Neither one of those will perform anything short of amazingly well so it's almost like you don't need to bother with the experiment.

Of course you will benefit from knowing what features you like and how it might fit your needs and that's very valuable.

Knowing how long it's taking me to really understand how to customize everything to optimize it for my style and maximum benefit, I'm not sure I could have evaluated the camera over a weekend. It reminds me of the various reviewers who have criticized the camera for shortcomings that are not there if it is correctly programmed.

You will have a blast and that's worth the price of admission! Good luck. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mikehit said:
Thanks Jack. I can understand your comments.

The immediate idea is to check things like ISO performance with and without cropping and if there is an overriding preference for lens or camera first (I am a 'lens first' kind guy).
So its a trip down to the zoo and feel that AF lock on :)
Have fun and please let us know. Happy shooting :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Mikehit said:
Jack Douglas said:
Flash is impractical at this distance with 800mm - F8 1/1250

Jack

Have you heard of the Better Beamer (there are now alternatives) - it is a fresnel prism to focus the light for further throw.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427602-REG/Visual_Echoes_FX3_FX3_Better_Beamer_for.html

Thanks for this. Just checked for me to Alberta - $80.99 CAD, which is kind of expensive but if it really is a good product I'd probably go for it - anyone have this version?

Previous products I've just been on the fence since typically they were not available in Canada and we get dinged badly on import fees.

Jack

Upvote 0