Anything Shot with a 1Dx mark II

An African wild dog, subduing an impala, northern Botswana. Image with the EOS 1DX Mark 2. Shutter speed 1/1600sec at f6.3, iso 1600, lens EF 100-400 IS ii. Not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing image but a dramatic scene instead. While the dog was battling the impala, the rest of the pack had run in a different direction. With such clean image quality especially in the iso 1600 to iso 3200 range, the 1DX Mark 2 allows me to maintain a fast shutter speed in the case of more action, and stop down a bit to get both animals sharp..without any penalty for using the higher iso settings. Cropped from 20mpix to 13 mpix, and raw image processed in LR and downsized to 1500 pixels wide for web

Attachments

• Grant-Atkinson-Selinda20161119_0209.jpg
    Grant-Atkinson-Selinda20161119_0209.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0
Grant Atkinson said:
An African wild dog, subduing an impala, northern Botswana. Image with the EOS 1DX Mark 2. Shutter speed 1/1600sec at f6.3, iso 1600, lens EF 100-400 IS ii. Not necessarily the most aesthetically pleasing image but a dramatic scene instead. While the dog was battling the impala, the rest of the pack had run in a different direction. With such clean image quality especially in the iso 1600 to iso 3200 range, the 1DX Mark 2 allows me to maintain a fast shutter speed in the case of more action, and stop down a bit to get both animals sharp..without any penalty for using the higher iso settings. Cropped from 20mpix to 13 mpix, and raw image processed in LR and downsized to 1500 pixels wide for web

Great Shot Grant. The Impala really Shows the expression "ok ok, i get it, you win, I'm dead"

Sebastian

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mikehit said:
Nice shot, Auditom. That 100-400 is certainly a very impressive lens even with the 1.4x on it.

For me it was a close-run thing of having the 1Dx2 paired with my existing 100-400ii or getting the 400 Do for my 7D.
So instead of bying a present for your 100-400ii you bought a present for your 7D ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Nice shot, Auditom. That 100-400 is certainly a very impressive lens even with the 1.4x on it.

For me it was a close-run thing of having the 1Dx2 paired with my existing 100-400ii or getting the 400 Do for my 7D.
I own a 7DII too and will give it a try with new lens next week. The 7D sensor is much more demanding for lenses.
Interesting times ;)

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
Grant Atkinson said:

Great Shot Grant. The Impala really Shows the expression "ok ok, i get it, you win, I'm dead"

Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian

Upvote 0
Great image Grant! It is always a bit disturbing to watch these images from the sofa. However, being out in the bush and watch it happen in real life is something entirely different. I normally cheer for the dogs, or lions, or leopards or whatever predator, simply because they are so few and impalas and grant´s and all the others are there in abundance.

This is a large Ngorongoro male, resting after feasting on a cape buffalo. A few decades ago, the Ngorongoro lions were close to extinction. However, after some good nursing, today they count around 100. They have loads of prey to choose from and they all look very healthy.

PS! The thread I started for the 1DX-II seems to have been deleted. There are lots of good images on that thread, so I´d like to ask CR if he could merge these to threads into one.

Attachments

• _V4I9304.jpg
    _V4I9304.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
Wow, amazing picture Eldar. so much expression.
And boy is it sharp. What lens did you use? The 200-400 or the 600?

-Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian

This is shot with the 600 f/4.0L IS II + 1.4xIII extender, handheld. This is a combination I am very fond of, even though it is a bit heavy. However, since I want to be able to handhold it as long as possible (I´m not getting any younger) it motivates me to go to the gym, so I suppose it is a good thing :)

Upvote 0