Anything shot with a 77D

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I bought the 77D to use a backup for my 5D3 and as a travel camera. Here is an image from my first photoshoot with the 77D. This was done in my studio with natural daylight, so the lighting does make for a soft look. The first copy is full frame, ISO 400 with the 24mm pancake lens at F/2.8 and 1/60 second, hand held.

p2346364605.jpg

The second image is about a 1:1 crop of the image above.

p2346364606.jpg

This is not a scientific test, by any means, but I have to say I am very happy with the sensor performance of the 77D. It will fill my needs very nicely!

drmikeinpdx

ajfotofilmagem said:
The shadows on the skin appear to have grain, added in PP. Or is that just camera noise?

That is a trace of noise in the shadows at ISO 400. No exposure modification. I shot in RAW and did not add any noise reduction in Lightroom. I did bump the sharpness up to 80, which might have increased the appearance of noise a bit.

Upvote 0
drmikeinpdx said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
The shadows on the skin appear to have grain, added in PP. Or is that just camera noise?

That is a trace of noise in the shadows at ISO 400. No exposure modification. I shot in RAW and did not add any noise reduction in Lightroom. I did bump the sharpness up to 80, which might have increased the appearance of noise a bit.
Thanks for the answer. In principle, it seemed a lot of noise to ISO 400, although the texture of the grain is still pleasing to my eyes. Considering it's RAW with no noise reduction, and sharpness at 80, the result is very good.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Here are some more shots with the 77D taken last week during the Portland Rose Festival Fleet Week.

This first shot is an HDR image using Photomatix. The vessel is the USS Jackson.

p2376653326-5.jpg

The next three photos were taken as the Navy ships left Portland. The location is where the Willamette River meets the Columbia River. I used ISO 200 with the EF 70-200 F/4 L at F/4 using a monopod. The day was very cloudy and low contrast so I tried to improve the contrast in post. I underexposed slightly to keep good detail in the cloudy sky.

p2376652827-4.jpg

p2376652828-4.jpg

p2376652831-4.jpg

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think the 77D is a nice backup camera, but I'd probably get a 80D refurb for the lower price. My issue is that I've sold all my EF-s lenses and have nothing left wide enough for general use on a crop body.

I hear you, Mt. Spokane! If I wasn't so intent on getting a small Rebel-class body to use as a lightweight travel camera, I would have been at least as happy with an 80D.

Upvote 0