Anything Shot with a 7D MII

Crapking said:
50/1.2L at f1.2
1/1000
ISO 4000

I am still new at sports photography. For this sport, do you think you needed 1/1000th shutter? Would 1/500th work and that would enable a slightly aperature at the same ISO. I am thinking of a sharper image and a little more DoF.

Choosing the right shutter speed is one of the hardest problems when I started moving away from static landscapes into "things that move". :)

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
An Apple a day... by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Another higher ISO sample - converted with DPP to TIF, some basic LR adjustments then Dfine NR applied.
Quick post-processing just to see how well it cleared up. OK for web viewing but not sure it could be printed at any size.
Ps this was taken with 200-400/1.4x at 420 mm, ISO 6400 from within a deer blind at a range of ~75 -100 yards maybe....

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
Crapking said:
50/1.2L at f1.2
1/1000
ISO 4000

I am still new at sports photography. For this sport, do you think you needed 1/1000th shutter? Would 1/500th work and that would enable a slightly aperature at the same ISO. I am thinking of a sharper image and a little more DoF.

Choosing the right shutter speed is one of the hardest problems when I started moving away from static landscapes into "things that move". :)

Yes, one needs a 1000. The action will not be sharper 1/500, no matter the dof (motion blur).

So, please post more!!! ;D

Upvote 0
finally a decent day without a total downpour,went out on my roof deck and played with the AF and I am impressed it locked on easily and the 10fps makes it easy to get a great shot .equipment used the 7d mkII with 300 f/2.8II +2xIII all pics went to DPP then to LR all are cropped .

Attachments

• pigeon 1.jpg
    pigeon 1.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 736
  • seagull 1.jpg
    seagull 1.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 619
  • seagull 2.jpg
    seagull 2.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 577
Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Runnerguy said:
finally a decent day without a total downpour,went out on my roof deck and played with the AF and I am impressed it locked on easily and the 10fps makes it easy to get a great shot .equipment used the 7d mkII with 300 f/2.8II +2xIII all pics went to DPP then to LR all are cropped .

That pigeon is superb. *all thumbs up*

Upvote 0

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
Runnerguy said:

The Pigeon shot is quite nice. Thanks for sharing. Anxiously waiting to get my hands on the 7D MKII.

Upvote 0

Sportsgal501

Got hit in the face by a skateboard got the shot!
Crapking said:
7MII0399 by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

Not bad for OOC JPG with LR adjustments (ISO 4000) in a high school gym....

50/1.2L at f1.2
1/1000
ISO 4000

Thank you I've been waiting for indoor sports photographs from this camera.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
7MII1055.jpg by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

ISO 5000
f2 200/L
1/800

still JPG OOC with custom WB, and LR editing - a little trouble with skin tones/WB

Did have the anti-flicker function active for these shots - and it probably dropped fps to 6-7, writing to 2 cards (RAW to CF and JPG to SD) and had to do quick on-site edits in between sets to give to my editor....so this is as close to real - life sports shooting as you can get. When ACR recognizes these files, I may go back and push the post processing to see how much better it could have been, but given the fact I shot 400+ shots in 1 1/2 hours, then quickly picked 35 best and did quick edits on-site with my laptop, the JPGs were surprisingly usable. I shot RAW with my other bodies
and I'll post the 'comparisons' once the I can process the 7d RAW - just to keep it fair :)

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
Crapking said:
Did have the anti-flicker function active for these shots - and it probably dropped fps to 6-7, writing to 2 cards (RAW to CF and JPG to SD) and had to do quick on-site edits in between sets to give to my editor....so this is as close to real - life sports shooting as you can get.
As I was looking at the previous picture I asked, in my mind, "wonder if the anti-flicker was on and did it make a difference?" and you answered the question for me. :) Thanks for posting these pictures. I got my 7DII Friday and set up the CF/SD just like you did.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Crapking said:
This was with the venerable 70-200/2.8 IS II
f2.8 1/640

ISO 10,000 !!!!

Probably not printing this, but for a high school website, or sharing with a parents' phone, unbelievably usable....
For the whole series...

Crappy unbalanced gymnasium light.....
Fast action.....
Dark uniforms that are hard to focus on...
It takes a lot more than a good camera to pull off those shots under those conditions.... Good job!

Upvote 0
Crapking said:
7MII0746.jpg by NAVBPhotos, on Flickr

ISO 10,000 !!!!

Probably not printing this, but for a high school website, or sharing with a parents' phone, unbelievably usable....
Dude, I think this photo ISO10000 is perfectly usable to print half a page of a sports magazine. If you were to convert to black and white, I would use up to a full page. Really impessionante. Thanks for sharing your nice photos.

Upvote 0