Anything Wrong with 50 1.8 STM on a 6D?

Feb 8, 2013
The first lens you should pick up without second thought is the 40mm f2.8.
That was my most used lens when I had an old 5D2. Having just a pancake on the front practically transforms the Full Frame body into an “Über Advanced Compact”.

Only the 6D is even lighter than any 5D, chances are if I had got a 6D instead of the 5D I never would have gone back to the Rebels.

Upvote 0
Cory said:
I need a 50mm lens for general everything and just don't know what to get. I do like my primes and am very particular, but would the 50 1.8 STM be the one to get until something really jumps out (that maybe isn't yet out)?
Almost got the 50 1.2 today, but said "I don't know."
It'll be my primary street, travel, daily, etc. lens.
Thanks.

I use the Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD Lens for my general everything lens, it weighs about the same as the Canon 50mm f/1.2 but has stabilization, which works rather awesome. The lens is really sharp wide open and stays that way down to around f/11 or f/16.
It's almost always on my 6D2, an amazing lens to say the least.
B&H has it right now for 400 bucks, best 400 bucks I've spent in a long time!

Upvote 0
I have the 6D and the 50 1.8. It is an decent lens, especially stopped down a stop or two. But I never use the 50 1.8 anymore, because I use the Canon 85mm 1.8 (usually at F2.8 ) for almost all of my portrait photography (80% of what I do is portrait). In my opinion, the 85mm is far superior to the 50mm, but I realize it is about triple the price and you may want something with a wider angle.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I’ve owned the Tamron 45 f1.8. It is a very good lens. Sharp, nice bokeh and it makes your subjects stand out with nice background separation. Focusing with the center AF point on my 1DXII was great, but the outer focusing points was back focusing. On a 6D, I would believe that it will do very well.

The 50 f1.8 STM is a bargain. Small and light, focus is good but a little slow. Sharp and ok bokeh. Not as good as the Tamron.

The 50L has some issues with CA, and isn’t that sharp wide open, but it takes fantastic looking images, especially when stopped down to f2-f4. My copy focuses better than any other 50-ish lens I have owned, but that is with a 1DXII and 5DIV, but still AF isn’t as good as the other L primes. Focus and recompose (which you often will do when using a 6D) will not work well. The 50L doesn’t have a flat field of focus.

The 40 STM is slow in aperture and focus. I tried it but didn’t really like it. Colors and contrast is a bit meh.

If you plan on keeping your 6D for a while, I recommend the Tamron 45. If you plan on upgrading to a 5DIV anytime soon, go for the 50L, or the 50 f1.8 STM if you have better things to spend your money on.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I'd agree with most of these posts, the 40mm f/2.8 Shorty McForty or the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 would be great choices, well ahead of the EF 50mm f/1.8. My daughter lucked out with a second hand one for $40 which is a genuinely decent copy. The 50mm Canon is certainly a cheapie, and you might get lucky with a good one, but somewhat random copy variation might play a negative position for you.

If budget constraints are tight, go for the Shorty McForty pre-owned. They're a rock solid little lens with a huge following.

-pw

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
pwp said:
I'd agree with most of these posts, the 40mm f/2.8 Shorty McForty or the Tamron 45mm f/1.8 would be great choices, well ahead of the EF 50mm f/1.8. My daughter lucked out with a second hand one for $40 which is a genuinely decent copy. The 50mm Canon is certainly a cheapie, and you might get lucky with a good one, but somewhat random copy variation might play a negative position for you.

If budget constraints are tight, go for the Shorty McForty pre-owned. They're a rock solid little lens with a huge following.

-pw

If I recall correctly, Lensrentals has found the 50 f1.8 STM to have excellent, almost non excisting, copy variation.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Larsskv said:
pwp said:

-pw

If I recall correctly, Lensrentals has found the 50 f1.8 STM to have excellent, almost non excisting, copy variation.

+1 You are absolutely right that it is incorrect to imply a large copy variation for the 50mm f/1.8 STM as the opposite is true. This is what Lensrentals writes: "Remember, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM is the standard against which all other lenses are measured. It’s amazingly consistent." https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/05/sony-fe-50mm-f1-8-mtf-and-consistency/ (they have the MTF variation of the Sony compared with the Canon 50/1.8)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
Larsskv said:
pwp said:

-pw

+1 You are absolutely right that it is incorrect to imply a large copy variation for the 50mm f/1.8 STM as the opposite is true. This is what Lensrentals writes: "Remember, the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM is the standard against which all other lenses are measured. It’s amazingly consistent." https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2016/05/sony-fe-50mm-f1-8-mtf-and-consistency/ (they have the MTF variation of the Sony compared with the Canon 50/1.8)
Let me correct something I said earlier.....

The OLD version of the 50 F1.8 has terrible AF inconsistency.... the STM version is much better. The old version can be found used for almost nothing, and is not worth the price.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
My gf has 50 STM for her 100D and it's good for the money (and size), but it's not going to measure up to lenses like the 16-35/4L IS and 135L I see in your signature. The thing I most dislike is the bokeh as soon as there is a bit going on the background (although to be fair, it's a definite step up on the old 50 1.8 II). I'll be sticking to my 50 Art. It's bigger and heavier than I'd like for a 50mm prime but it's fantastic :)

I assume you want a 50mm rather than an 85mm. but if 85 is a possibility for you I agree the others who have said the 85 1.8 is miles better than the 50 STM.

Upvote 0
Cory said:
Speaking of the 85 1.8 do you think that this screw-on hood might make sense? -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1079792-REG/sensei_lhm_58_pro_58mm_aluminum_lens.html/pageID/accessory

Thanks for the responses.

IIRC (I don't own the lens anymore), the 85 1.8 uses one of those awful clip-on hoods that just spins and spins. I never used it. Maybe that's just the Canon version and this is compatible?

Upvote 0
Cory said:
I think I'm 50 1.8 STM bound, but before I make that major life-leap - Does anyone use the 85 1.8 on full-frame as their general walk-around lens? Anyone?

:-*

You should be quite satisfied with the 50 STM, its also quite capable for video too. I used it for a few years and enjoyed it. I also used it with extension tubes for macro shots and got some pretty wild results! It's a very good lens. (I like the Tamron 45 better though) ;)

as for a 85mm, I took the leap with the Tamron 85mm f/1.8 lens and don't regret that investment either.

The Tamron 45 and 85mm lenses are my 2 main go to primes and I absolutely enjoy using them and love the results I get with them.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Cory said:
I think I'm 50 1.8 STM bound, but before I make that major life-leap - Does anyone use the 85 1.8 on full-frame as their general walk-around lens? Anyone?

I am sure there are some. Probably less than those who use 35 - 50 mm focal lengths as "general walk-around". It depends what angle of view [and derived effects] you want for your "general walk-around" lens. You might want to answer the following questions for yourself and then ask more specifically. :)

* Where do you "generally walk around"?
* What do you "generally" want to take images of while walking around?
* What do you "generally" want those images to look like?

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
My main go to lens is the 50mm STM on my 6D - Other lenses i have/use are 24-105F4, 70-300, 70mm macro.
Its great in low light, yes i'd like something f.8 in the range 80-150.

For street work i do wonder if a 35mm model might be more creative overall, but these are all quite expensive.
the 40mm pancake image circle is to small on the 6D, so not suitable.

As a value for money lens the 50mm 1.8 STM seems great.

Upvote 0