Apple to Cease work on Aperture

This comes as a disspointment to me. Only yesterday (while working on Aperture) I was telling a colleague that either Apple will drop Aperture completely or come out with a killer update with possible layers (yeah, I was dreaming) as well as lens correction etc.. to blow the competition away. Unfortunately, the former is true.

Now, like many others, I will have to look at moving lots of libraries over to new software although I am not unfamilar with Lightroom and have still occassionaly used it . I began with it years ago but decided to switch my entire workflow to Aperture when v3 was released.

I’ve also used the Canon software but haven’t looked at the new release. I also might consider Capture One as a few of you have mentioned on here.

If Apple comes through with the promise of helping everyone transition to Lightroom (via software I assume), that might help with my decision making, although I would like to see it in action before I make the big move.

Upvote 0

CaiLeDao

5D Mark III
Aug 6, 2013
I was also disappointed as photo manipulation was the reason I moved to Macs and Aperture was quite revolutionary as I learned my needs to manage photos. I now have 3TB of images and a very slow upload to the cloud so it would take months to move the library contents (in file system).

However I am becoming more optimistic as in reality what do I use Aperture for now? Its actually raw conversation, basic photo edits, storage and organisation. I do all the image manipulation in other non adobe software, as I read about Apples direction it seems to continue to fit my needs quite well, so long as I don't have to have everything in the cloud and can continue to use local attached storage.

In effect what I use Aperture for is largely related to the things found in operating system file management and organisation tools and perhaps better integrates the searching of them. I have preferred to use DXO, Pixelmator, "on one" software and Nik Suite (B+W and HDR) for a long time. Hopefully the books will stay available but again there are several options there.

So after my initial negative response I can see a sensible logic and don't mind losing Aperture as a brand provided the main catalogue and management capabilities are available through OSX. If forced to move to a pure cloud approach then I would have to find an alternative. Is Adobe a choice I want to be pushed into, well at present I don't think I am, although the PR around this is pretty poor for Apple standards and may be reflects the sponsorship within the Company.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Bummer.

Might be ok for me personally, I use Aperture for image triage and library management, but not RAW conversions (for which I use DxO Optics Pro). Hopefully they keep the ability to have multiple libraries and referenced images, which are key differentiators for me compared to iPhoto.

I too really like Aperture's library system and hopefully the new Photos app will carry that on. While Apple said Aperture will work on Yosemite, it may or may not work on future versions of their operating system, and the lack of recent Aperture upgrades has put further distance between it and other programs. I've been thinking about getting Lightroom/Photoshop via the cloud, but before doing that, I'll check out DxO Optics Pro.

Neuro, what do you see as DxO's strengths vs. Lightroom/Photoshop?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Vivid Color said:
neuroanatomist said:
Vivid Color said:
Neuro, what do you see as DxO's strengths vs. Lightroom/Photoshop?

Better NR and lens corrections, IMO.

Thank you, Neuro!

I tried it, and it was better with one click. It was also pretty slow, but greatly improved over past versions. Still, I would be reluctant to try and edit 2500 images.
The big drawback for me is the lack of organizing capability, so I still need software like Lightroom, which is a wonderful organizer. I was reluctant to buy two pieces of software.

Upvote 0
Two things:

Firstly, I believe Apple plans to ensure Aperture will work with Yosemite so there is no immediate need to switch and everything you can currently do you can continue to do.

Secondly, here is a good article that gives an optimistic outlook to what is going to happen: https://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2014/6/27/aperture-dead-long-live-photos?utm_source=ApertureExpert+List&utm_campaign=c1ff07a87b-ApertureExpert+Newsletter+33&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee6b582cde-c1ff07a87b-326426797&ct=t()&goal=0_ee6b582cde-c1ff07a87b-326426797&mc_cid=c1ff07a87b&mc_eid=74702e67a7#.U6-9gxaUkVT

Upvote 0
Pity, really. I also have a copy of LR, but just prefer Aperture, since I "got" it immediately as opposed to LR that I found unintuitive. Pretty sure I can learn it as I think of myself as a reasonably smart guy, but since this is a hobby, why not enjoy it?

The question is, is it maybe a good thing after all? I don't edit most of my pictures terribly much anyways (basically WB, bit of cropping, adjusting Exposure a bit, etc.). If the new Photos app could do all of that, would it be possible to just open LR for the more complex cases and have Photos display the results, or would I have to alway export jpg's? Where do the adjustments for pictures get saved in general? In the RAW file itself, or in a data base of the program used?

Still a pity, though

RadioPath

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I do not use Macs, so I am wondering why or how a person would risk losing their images. Surly they are stored either on a hard drive, or online somewhere (always risky).
In either event, a person should have a backup, since no storage is all that reliable.
It is a bit puzzling as to why Apple would eliminate a highly regarded piece of software, at the very least, they might sell it to another software developer. The only reason that comes to mind is that Apple sees jpeg images from iphones, tablets, etc as the way forward. Its certainly true that camera sales are dropping like a rock.

Nobody would loose any images, they are all stored in a 'library' folder. You can view the contents and all your master images are in there, but i'm not denying it would be a total nightmare switching to something else without some software to automate the process.
I agree, it is puzzling to why they are stopping development for it? I mean in the grand scheme of things, they probably don't even notice the development costs and it's always smart to keep your options open right? You raise an interesting point about how they see jpegs/iphone images as the future, this is quite possible. Hopefully the new software will support RAW, otherwise i'm not sure what to do. ???

Upvote 0
StephenC said:
Two things:

Firstly, I believe Apple plans to ensure Aperture will work with Yosemite so there is no immediate need to switch and everything you can currently do you can continue to do.

Secondly, here is a good article that gives an optimistic outlook to what is going to happen: https://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2014/6/27/aperture-dead-long-live-photos?utm_source=ApertureExpert+List&utm_campaign=c1ff07a87b-ApertureExpert+Newsletter+33&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ee6b582cde-c1ff07a87b-326426797&ct=t()&goal=0_ee6b582cde-c1ff07a87b-326426797&mc_cid=c1ff07a87b&mc_eid=74702e67a7#.U6-9gxaUkVT

Encouraging. I can't see the new app 'Photos' ever being a professional level application but the idea of it being a library that other applications can access/plugin to, seems to make sense.

What doesn't make sense, is why would Apple discontinue a pro app like Aperture (photography) but continue pro apps like Final Cut X (movie editing) and Logic Pro X (audio)?

Maybe Photos will be that good (one day)?

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
I am quite shocked as to how many people actually care that Aperture isn't going to be supported anymore. I don't use Aperture, I use Lightroom on the Mac and until a few minutes ago, I didn't know anyone who used Aperture. My understanding is that Aperture hasn't seen an update in quite a while so I guess my question is, why be all upset at Apple now? If you were using Aperture and liked it, keep using it till you can't anymore then migrate.

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Apparently new iPhones will come without a headphone jack – there will be headphones using the lightening connector or Bluetooth only.

Neuro, with love and respect, you might be a bit off on this. The way I read what Apple recently did, is that all existing Lightning Cable devices already have the ability, it will be a software switch. I also believe this will appeal to high end audiophiles who crave and desire high quality lossless audio.

So, if I were to edit your post, I would remove the word "only" from the sentence. I think you will still be able to add a $30 or $60 pair of traditional headphones to currents and future iPhones, but you will also be able to add a $600 Lossless Lightning pair. BTW, notice I said think? I really have no idea what Apple has up their sleeves :)

http://9to5mac.com/2014/06/03/apple-introduces-mfi-specs-for-lightning-cable-headphones-support-arriving-in-future-ios-update/

Upvote 0

IslanderMV

"life is for the birds"
May 1, 2012
www.bernierland.com
Badger said:
I am quite shocked as to how many people actually care that Aperture isn't going to be supported anymore. I don't use Aperture, I use Lightroom on the Mac and until a few minutes ago, I didn't know anyone who used Aperture. My understanding is that Aperture hasn't seen an update in quite a while so I guess my question is, why be all upset at Apple now? If you were using Aperture and liked it, keep using it till you can't anymore then migrate.

Ditto -
For Mac users, file handling in LR is somewhat of a change, other than that LR has moved way ahead of Aperture in features. I used it for a few weddings and found it to be exceptional for handling large amounts of images very quickly. The easy "round trip" to photoshop is huge. Anyway, there are tons of free tutorials available to make the transition. I would also recommend the paid tutorials at lynda.com.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Badger said:

One thing to consider is the 'system level' integration with Aperture – like iPhoto, libraries are available in iTunes for sync to iPhone/iPad, in iMovie for slide shows, as a screensaver, etc.

Upvote 0
This doesn't surprise me at all though I understand current users trepidation over the immediate future of their workflow.

When aperture was first released, I thought it was a viable alternative to LR and other programs out there. LR soon left aperture in the dust however and I remember cautioning my students against using aperture. My most pressing concern at the time was a non photo company developing a photo orientated software. I didn't trust that Apple would develop it appropriately to suit the needs of professionals (and though they did an admirable job for a period of time, ultimately they came up short of the competition).

With Adobe's shift towards the subscription model, I have lost faith in them being my primary software solution and am looking into other options to sustain my workflow in the future. CaptureOne has impressed me so far though I have primarily only used it for tethered capture of commercial product shoots. I'm not sure how it would handle an import and edit of 4000 wedding shots. It seems all the tools are there to handle it well though.

From what I have noticed so far, there are some ups and downs with Capture One. Pluses are an extensive and powerful set of editing tools, a smart method of quickly batching edits of multiple images, and pretty good file management. Minuses are it's not a very intuitive program (I find LR to be pretty much plug in and play while CO takes a learning curve), it can be quite buggy with freezing and crashing when you do something it doesn't like (ie tethered camera powers down or manually changing folder structure outside of CO).

For now I would probably still recommend LR to current aperture users as the transition would probably be more comfortable. I am growing more comfortable with endorsing CO but I think it is definitely geared towards the serious pro and thus may turn off some users with its less than intuitive UI.

Upvote 0