Apple to Cease work on Aperture

Dec 9, 2012
caruser said:
Recent news suggests that the Aperture and iPhoto "replacement" will have some kind of plug-in support, I have read "third party extensibility", which might actually open the door to it, with some good add-ons, becoming a valid tool. Time will tell.

Personally I'll have to balance the perhaps not-so-nice, and not-immediately-powerful-enough new photo app from Apple against the licensing and general barf-ness of Adobe's software. I'm really looking forward to that. Not.

LDS said:
If you force developers to use a language nobody else uses (and outside Apple nobody uses Objective-C, and now Apple would like to replace it with the new Swift too) ...
While a more in-depth discussion could be had, it's a bit too off-topic here.

Update: When asked about what Aperture-like features users can expect from the new Photos app, an Apple representative mentioned plans for professional-grade features such as image search, editing, effects, and most notably, third-party extensibility. The representative also clarified the timeframe when Aperture development will end, along with an announcement about its other Pro app offerings receiving updates today; those details have been updated in the text above.

In addition to telling users that iPhoto will be discontinued and rolled into the new Photos app, Apple also confirmed to Ars Technica that Aperture will be updated to ensure Yosemite compatibility, but users shouldn't expect any further development or updates beyond that.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-to-cease-development-support-of-pro-photo-app-aperture/

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Badger said:
In addition to telling users that iPhoto will be discontinued and rolled into the new Photos app, Apple also confirmed to Ars Technica that Aperture will be updated to ensure Yosemite compatibility, but users shouldn't expect any further development or updates beyond that.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-to-cease-development-support-of-pro-photo-app-aperture/

Thanks! This bit:

Today, after weeks of speculation—fueled particularly by beta versions of Yosemite not supporting Aperture

...means Yosemite won't see much use on my Macs for the time being.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Thanks! This bit:

Today, after weeks of speculation—fueled particularly by beta versions of Yosemite not supporting Aperture

Well it's not out yet, and hopefully they'll have Aperture patched up by the time Yosemite is released. I mean, hopefully they didn't use too many of their "secret"/private OS APIs to make it a difficult task!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
caruser said:

Well it's not out yet, and hopefully they'll have Aperture patched up by the time Yosemite is released. I mean, hopefully they didn't use too many of their "secret"/private OS APIs to make it a difficult task!
[/quote]

Not launched, no...but available. I still may install Yosemite on one of a backup clones (run off a FW800 drive) to have a play. Who knows - the post about Aperture not running on Yosemite is a month old, and may be an issue on the OS X side rather than the Aperture side so it may work on the current pre-release version of the OS.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
StephenC said:
Don't the articles state that there will be one more update, to make Aperture compatible with Yosemite (I don't know about the beta)?

Yes, Apple has stated Aperture will be compatible with Yosemite. They didn't say it would be at launch of the new OS, but I expect it will be (if not before).

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
Reading this article, I think (or hope) that our disappointment with Apple's decision may be shortlived:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/03/inside-app-extensions-the-cloud-kit-savvy-photos-future-of-apples-iphoto-aperture

If app extensions give the ability to process/adjust RAW files in addition to the possibilities discussed in the article, then Photos could become all that is needed. OS X already has RAW file support built in, so it's not so far fetched. when starting from a clean sheet, Apple tend to start with the basics then build into something far greater. If this all happens, then it will be a great alternative to Lightroom - free apart form buying the hardware. I will keep my fingers crossed, and trial Canon's updated software while I'm waiting.

Don't forget that Apple have already announced the ability to take RAW photos in iOS8, which is as good a confirmation as any that Apple's new app will support RAW to JPEG processing.
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/19/ios-8-manual-camera-control/

Am I being overly optimistic? Or reading too much between the lines?

Upvote 0
I was initially sad to see this happen. But reflecting upon what's at hand, this is the logical thing to do. They're doing to photos what they did to video with FCPX. Except, they wanted to avoid the FCP X debacle about releasing half-baked "pro" editor when they had to rewrite the code from the ground up.

There will be some growing pains for sure, but in the long term, it will be good. There will be plenty of inter-platform compatibility, something that's not present at the moment because of the original programs were written before cross-platform is viable.

The API extensions will be a boon for developers as well. it will spur competition and creativity. Al this extensions will live inside Photo app. So I'm hopeful :).

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
"Support for Photo Editing Extensions means that developers don't have to try to woo users into switching to an entirely new app in order to try their imaging tools. Instead, after installing a new app that includes a Photo Editing Extension, any new editing capabilities the developer implements as an Extension will show up right within Photos, allowing users to integrate new features from third parties into the existing Photos app."

Sounds almost like if those of us who liked Apples file management, but preferred to post process on a different app could be in for a pleasant surprise. Of course, we would have to wait for Apple to roll out their app, then, for Adobe to roll out their plug in.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/03/inside-app-extensions-the-cloud-kit-savvy-photos-future-of-apples-iphoto-aperture

Upvote 0