APS-C Canon EOS R body likely [CR2]

I would love to see a 7D level EOS R as well as a high resolution EOS R. Really looking forward to the future of the RF mount cameras.
The jackpot for me personally would be the two combined. High fps crop mode (20mp) and 50mp full frame. With a 1.3 crop in between! I love my 7dii but many times I had to switch to the 6dii (now replaced by the R) early morning or late afternoon when the light was bad. It is not an action camera! But I could still get some shots, better than none with the 7dii. The 6dii I used for astro, mackro, landscapes etc. The flippy screen I could not live without, hence the 6dii and not 5div (wich i tried for a while). So if I could have those two bodies in one...... win win win for me. Did not use the R much but already love it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yes the EOS R must be replaced! It has a single card, it's AF tracking in servo is almost non-existent (dropping from 5 to 3fps for Focus priority) and ... it lacks a mirror! :D:D:D

I would love an EOS R with an optical viewfinder, and a mode dial :)

Or, even better, Canon could just sell me a 5D4 with a flippy screen, which is what I've really wanted since like, the day 5D4 came out :):):)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think one of the big drivers for Canon is their huge user base of lenses. Two lines the EF-S lenses and the EF lenses.
1. If they look at the users of their crop sensor cameras I would bet the large majority use EF-S lenses. So the M mount offers them a mirrorless path to keep there EF-S lenses.
2. But there is also a sizable group of crop sensor users ( 7d family for example ) that use EF lenses along with EF-S lenses. The R mounts offers these users a mirrorless path. Sure its lower res but you don't have to throw away your investment in EF-S. What Canon has to decide is this group large enough to justify a crop sensor in an R mount. ie. a prosumer mirrorless 7d m2 . Other factors will also enter into this such as battery life and others.

The M mount is for the masses and to compete with M4/3 and Fuji. The R for the Pros and serious amateurs. I think Canon have decided its takes two mounts but wanted to provide a path for both.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think one of the big drivers for Canon is their huge user base of lenses. Two lines the EF-S lenses and the EF lenses.
1. If they look at the users of their crop sensor cameras I would bet the large majority use EF-S lenses. So the M mount offers them a mirrorless path to keep there EF-S lenses.
2. But there is also a sizable group of crop sensor users ( 7d family for example ) that use EF lenses along with EF-S lenses. The R mounts offers these users a mirrorless path. Sure its lower res but you don't have to throw away your investment in EF-S. What Canon has to decide is this group large enough to justify a crop sensor in an R mount. ie. a prosumer mirrorless 7d m2 . Other factors will also enter into this such as battery life and others.

The M mount is for the masses and to compete with M4/3 and Fuji. The R for the Pros and serious amateurs. I think Canon have decided its takes two mounts but wanted to provide a path for both.
If the EOS R didn't have the 1.8x 4k crop, then they wouldn't even bother recommending to mount EF-S lenses (a handful or cheaper FF glass is available). I think what we have is mix-up between rumors, while I think a more video-focused XC-like RF-mount camera is a real possibility (earlier it was rumoured to be EF, but why would they do it like that now) and it might be able to take still images.
I just don't see an APS-C RF-mount stills camera at this time, basically throwing everything that they've did with the design of the RF-mount out of the door, no dedicated glass at all, and also making in-house competition to an M5 Mark II, just doesn't make much sense. Nikon doesn't even have a crop sensor mirrorless system at this time, and yet it still doesn't make much sense for them for the same reason (for the time being, of course).

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
to me it is clear. Canon is basically saying in a more veiled way: "forget it. there will be no APS-C EOS R because it simply would not make much sense. It could not be made small enough with R mount. So, if you want crop, fine - we have EOS M and EF-M lenses for you. EOS R will be FF, and if you want, use the built-in crop mode. Now suit yourselves". :)

Well, R mount is same size as the EF mount. And the EF mount has both fullframe and popular APS-C DSLR cameras.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
i don't see a "7D class EOS R with crop sensor" but expect Canon to keep EOS R series "FF only". It is all about R mount, which would be "wasted on a crop sensor".

i expect 2 mirrorfree cameras launched in the direction of "80D / 7D owners":
A) "EOS R7" / FF / 1799 - same as 7D II launch price
B) "EOS M7" / APS-C / 1499 - same as Fuji XT3 launch price

A) FF sensor "EOS R7"
will also take EF and EF-S lenses with any of the 3 adapters and have a "true crop mode" with less MP but faster fps. Simply a question of CPU/DIGIC and firmware. No need to "physically hobble" R series with an APS-C sensor.

B) APS-C sensor "EOS M7"
some people seem to only think of "M50 size and performance", but it is just a lower tier model. Canon will also (have to) bring a new "higher end / flagship" EOS M model soon. M5 is urgently due for replacement - I don't think Canon is selling many M5 these days. It was "eaten alive" by better specced, lower priced, more compact M50. :)

While more compact than EOS R new "top model M7" could have a slightly larger body than current M5 so it can fit strong LP-E6N power pack plus a somewhat bigger grip and a solid user interface with useful wheels, dials and buttons. For specs/performance just look at Fuji XT3. It beats 7D II and D500 nicely.

* e.g. a APS-C sensor with eg 28 MP
* 12 fps without any small print limitations = full AF tracking and AE for every frame
* top notch DP-AF incl. eye tracking
* top notch EVF
* fully articulated screen
* wheathersealing in line with 7D II
* EF-M lenses natively, EF and EF-S via adapter [... not RF - for those Canon wants us to spend more money and buy EOS R :) ];

"M7" would/will meet Fuji XT3 and upcoming new Sony crop MILCs - A7000/A6### head on.

By offering A) plus B) Canon can effectively combat competition, strengthen both EOS R and EOS M product lines and nail the coffin shut for mirrorslapping EOS crop sensor cameras. No 90D, no 7D III. not needed any longer. M50 effectively killed xxD/Rebel slappers. "M7" will kill xxD and 7D class.
:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
There might be a niche for an aps-c with an R mount as an additional option for someone who working mostly or completely with FF R mount equipment. As has been pointed out, the crop on the EOS R is 11mp, considerably less than the 24mp which is the current aps-c standard. An aps-c with an R mount might even have a sensor above the 24mp level, as a stepping stone to a very high mp FF with an R mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
i don't see a "7D class EOS R with crop sensor" but expect Canon to keep EOS R series "FF only". It is all about R mount, which would be "wasted on a crop sensor".

A) FF sensor "EOS R7"
will also take EF and EF-S lenses with any of the 3 adapters and have a "true crop mode" with less MP but faster fps. Simply a question of CPU/DIGIC and firmware. No need to "physically hobble" R series with an APS-C sensor.

B) APS-C sensor "EOS M7"
some people seem to only think of "M50 size and performance", but it is just a lower tier model. Canon will also (have to) bring a new "higher end / flagship" EOS M model soon. M5 is urgently due for replacement - I don't think Canon is selling many M5 these days. It was "eaten alive" by better specced, lower priced, more compact M50. :)

While more compact than EOS R new "top model M7" could have a slightly larger body than current M5 so it can fit strong LP-E6N power pack plus a somewhat bigger grip and a solid user interface with useful wheels, dials and buttons. For specs/performance just look at Fuji XT3. It beats 7D II and D500 nicely.

* e.g. a APS-C sensor with eg 28 MP
* 12 fps without any small print limitations = full AF tracking and AE for every frame
* top notch DP-AF incl. eye tracking
* top notch EVF
* fully articulated screen
* wheathersealing in line with 7D II
* EF-M lenses natively, EF and EF-S via adapter [... not RF - for those Canon wants us to spend more money and buy EOS R :) ];

"M7" would/will meet Fuji XT3 and upcoming new Sony crop MILCs - A7000/A6### head on.

By offering A) plus B) Canon can effectively combat competition, strengthen both EOS R and EOS M product lines and nail the coffin shut for mirrorslapping EOS crop sensor cameras. No 90D, no 7D III. not needed any longer. M50 effectively killed xxD/Rebel slappers. "M7" will kill xxD and 7D class.
:)
My only issue with this approach is this. Canon would be saying to those users who have a mix of FF and specifically 7d or 7dmk2 you have to chose between the M or R mount. If you choose R you loose the extra reach the crop gives you unless as you suggest they but a 50 mp sensor in the body that will do 10 FPS plus with fast autofocus. That would be cool.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
CR: "When could an APS-C EOS R body arrive? I would think after the “professional/sports/wildlife” EOS R body. This point is just a prediction."

That would be after the 2020 Olympics then... I think that it's more likely that we get to see more sturdy M's and native lenses in the mean time. Get adapters for your favorite EF and EF-S lenses, they are about 25 USD a pop...

s-l225.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Meike-AF-A...iid=181964597280&_trksid=p2047675.m4097.l9055

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
While you can remain polite, I checked the website again (canonwatch). I think the canonwatch article couldn't have been interpreted differently than "no APS-C EOS R system". So I looked up myself the original article. There it's a whole different story and the question asked is clearly not what was hinted by canonwatch, so it was misleading. So my apologizes I was wrong. Anyway, rumors websites are what they are..
Apology gladly accepted and pardon my gruff reply. I do get a little put off by people making factual statements that are untrue. Ridiculous opinions, on the other hand, abound in mass quantities and must be endured. We have a local atmospheric disturbance with limitless "insights."
P.S. Welcome to CR :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So a 5D5 should be 5D4 tilty flippy version?
I don't care what they call it. I really like the 5D4, except that because I have to mount my camera high up on a tripod and compose what I'm photographing, a flippy screen (and specifically, the mirror mode) is invaluable. This is the only reason I don't own one :(

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
The jackpot for me personally would be the two combined. High fps crop mode (20mp) and 50mp full frame. With a 1.3 crop in between! I love my 7dii but many times I had to switch to the 6dii (now replaced by the R) early morning or late afternoon when the light was bad. It is not an action camera! But I could still get some shots, better than none with the 7dii. The 6dii I used for astro, mackro, landscapes etc. The flippy screen I could not live without, hence the 6dii and not 5div (wich i tried for a while). So if I could have those two bodies in one...... win win win for me. Did not use the R much but already love it.

I would still like a solid mirrorless full-frame camera up to the 1DX Mark II standard, but if my main body could be a 50+mp camera with a high-speed crop mode to shoot with alongside a full-frame sports body...I would be a happy camper for sure. However, I won't be holding my breath. LOL

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

A) FF sensor "EOS R7"

this is what I really hope for but I see no signs of canon going this way, instead I think they have a 'why sell one camera when we can sell two' attitude. I hope I'm wrong.
as far as lenses are concerned, three lines, RL, R small and M no need for anything else.

Upvote 0