APS-C Canon EOS R body likely [CR2]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
"Why do we believe this? The EOS 7D series of cameras. If EOS R and the RF mount as the future for Canon, which I think most people they are. There is no way that the hugely popular EOS 7D series of cameras is going to be cancelled or just remain a DSLR"

Not 'If' but 'When' The only thing that they could technically do (ignoring price) is put a crop mode into the FFs which increased FPS when engaged, I'd love that but Canon have shown no signs of going in that direction.

The current R has a crop mode seeing as it uses the EF-S lenses as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You sir, are full of fertilizer. No Canon representative ever said any such thing. Even if that were their position, which I'm sure it isn't, they would not say so. Provide a link and prove me wrong...
While you can remain polite, I checked the website again (canonwatch). I think the canonwatch article couldn't have been interpreted differently than "no APS-C EOS R system". So I looked up myself the original article. There it's a whole different story and the question asked is clearly not what was hinted by canonwatch, so it was misleading. So my apologizes I was wrong. Anyway, rumors websites are what they are..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
to me it is clear. Canon is basically saying in a more veiled way: "forget it. there will be no APS-C EOS R because it simply would not make much sense. It could not be made small enough with R mount. So, if you want crop, fine - we have EOS M and EF-M lenses for you. EOS R will be FF, and if you want, use the built-in crop mode. Now suit yourselves". :)

Upvote 0
to me it is clear. Canon is basically saying in a more veiled way: "forget it. there will be no APS-C EOS R because it simply would not make much sense. It could not be made small enough with R mount. So, if you want crop, fine - we have EOS M and EF-M lenses for you. EOS R will be FF, and if you want, use the built-in crop mode. Now suit yourselves". :)
To me EOS M would be a step down and really doesn’t suit my lenses. Owning Ef-s and EF lenses I want a semi professional/enthusiast body but manageable lens costs. I won’t be investing in EOS M and would prefer to transition to R and the lens on offer there. I feel there would be a significant gap. It is ok if it is a full frame sensor but the price needs to be down around the £700-1k range. If Canon leave this gap then the Nikon z5 gets really tempting.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Neither Canon nor anyone else knows what the consumers will decide in regards to mirrorless and DSLR sales. So it seems likely that they will throw everything they can out there and see what sticks, so to speak. So I would expect an APS-C R camera or two to be made - in line with the XXD and XD series. Existing EF-S lens owners will be able to use the adapters to keep them happy.

RF-S lenses may be another question. Perhaps they will all be RF (not RF-S) but with focal lengths that translate well to the crop factor.

Upvote 0
If that was from the Googl translation it is not a certain conclusion. As the R system can take EF-S lenses which will create an APS-C image size, there is nothing to say that an APS-C sensor cannot be used in an R body. All I take from the canon exec interview is that M and R are not compatible. To me that means M is a low cost mirrorless, does not exclude APS-C R.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Why can't you make a lower cost lens for the R mount that has a smaller image circle?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
i don't think there will ever be R-mount crop lenses.

i'd rather expect a slightly larger, higher-end M body to succeed 7D II.

absolutely agree on the first part not convinced on the second though, I see it as a variant of the R line, why not just use the same body and mount after all that's what the did with the 7d

Upvote 0
My M5, with the EF-M 18-150 IS STM is for travel. Otherwise I use the M5 with the mount adaptor as a second body to complement the 7D. I'm watching this space to see what Canon's solution to the 7D mark II replacement is. The M5 can't handle shooting a burst and storing both RAW and JPEG to the memory card the same rate my old 7D can. If there is a 7D mark III or a R body capable of high frame rates, I'll be looking to upgrade.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The signs are pointing to an EOS R replacement instead of a Mark II version. This should come into focus in the next month or two.
Yes the EOS R must be replaced! It has a single card, it's AF tracking in servo is almost non-existent (dropping from 5 to 3fps for Focus priority) and ... it lacks a mirror! :D:D:D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I was under impression EOS R can shoot with EF-S lenses with the normal adapter. Just shoots differently (smaller image?)

As stated earlier because your down to 11MP in crop mode on the R. I didn't buy lenses capable of 50MP resolution to then shoot 11MP images. I would probably be better off shooting with my cell phone and cropping instead of zooming at that point.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
Canon will have to prove it is capable of building a mirrorless flagship with exceptional AF and frame rate to rival the Sony A9. I have my doubts. Canon has considerable ground to make up and may be embarrassed by the competition.

I'd say a good bit but not considerable. Dual Digic 8's can add a lot of horsepower - even a Digic 8 and a Digic 7 could add a lot. I'd say the elephant in the room is the BSI processor. I don't know if BSI technology and dual-pixel autofocus are mutually exclusive - are they?

Upvote 0