Are ff camera

Aug 21, 2018
Did you the interview with a Fujiflim exec where he said that ff is only 1/3 of camera sales? I would say this partly because unlike in the '60s to the mid '00 there were all levels of 35mm cameras from point & shoots (they are dead now) to expensive professional 35mm cameras unlike now for the most part 35mm cameras are expensive pro cameras except for the RP. I am interested in buying the RP.

Mar 25, 2011
Low priced cameras typically get most of the sales. I really doubt that FF gets 1/3 of DSLR sales for Canon. There are two ways to compute it, one is by the number of cameras sold, the other is by dollar amount, which confuses us when they use it.

I'd be surprised if FF gets 10% of sales by number of bodies sold.

The RP is certainly going to change that number, perhaps by 5%.

A big factor is sales of cameras. Already, January CIPA reports show a big drop again this year, more sales are going to high end models, so the RP may attract a lot of sales from those moving up from entry level DSLR's or even first time buyers. Its priced about the same as the first entry level Digital Rebel when it came out many years ago.

Upvote 0
The 6D was the RP before the RF mount was a thing; it was even called a "full-frame Rebel".

Of course FF digital cameras are much more expensive compared to crop cameras of various crop factors (don't @ me about the old 1D series or other outliers, you know what I mean). Unlike a film camera, a huge amount of the cost (cost to the manufacturer) of a digital camera is the sensor, and larger chips are exponentially more expensive to manufacturer if all else is equal. It's cool that in recent years it's become possible to sell affordable, or at least semi-affordable, FF digital cameras, but they'll still be more expensive than comparable crop cameras. The budget buyer is then going to find that lenses for these affordable FF cameras will still be comparatively expensive, even avoiding the high-end lenses.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the cost of each body was accounted for by the sensor. I'm sure we'll never see it though. For the low-end FF bodies, I'd imagine it's at least half, which makes it hard to get them much under where they are for now.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine that they would (and P&Ss haven't gone into history either - just walk around Target!). Even as sensors get cheaper, a smaller sensor will always be cheaper than a larger one, and a smaller sensor can use a smaller (cheaper) lens at shorter focal lengths and similar apertures. It may be, hypothetically, that the number of bodies of each sensor size change as the costs change, but crop cameras will be around for a while.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Once all consumer cameras are mirrorless if that happens their will be less of a need for crop sensors since you use both crop lenses (less resolution) on Full Frame camera. On a 70-75mp sensor that would be about 44 or about 47mp - about 45 or 50mp in crop mode.
70-75mpx FF cropped to APS-C gives 27-29mpx. Divide by 1.6^2 not 1.6 to convert.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I see what mean.
Ok
That would good. How many cameras would that be?
I should think that they will sell alot of cameras. Ok
We do not have detailed sales information by manufacturer or by model, but we do have very good information about the overall numbers of cameras sold, its month by month and year by year.

Check out this web site to see some of the numbers. There is a lot of data here. You can see the drastic decline of P&S camera sales and production. They still make a lot of them, but only a small fraction of what they used to make. That means that the more capable cameras now are the best sellers.
CIPA

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Why4 is 1.6 or 1.5 squared? Thank you
1.5x1.5=2.25 70÷2.25=31.111 about 31mp 75÷2.25=33.33 about 33 mp
1.6x1.6=2.56 70÷2.56=27.34375 about 27mp 75÷2.56=29.296875 about 30 mp
The Canon crop factor is 1.6, which means that each side of the rectangular sensor is reduced by a factor of 1.6 and so its area is reduced by a factor of 1.6x1.6, ie 2.56. Accordingly, the number of pixels is reduced by a factor of 2.56. 29.296875 rounded to the nearest integer is 29.

Upvote 0
I now that 70 mp won't be in any budget anytime some but if I can start making money from photography I would probably buy the high end 70 mp camera.
Thank you

You were asking about crop cameras going away because of FF sensors becoming cheaper, though. You weren't talking about what you could afford. FF cameras won't drop in price to the point that they squeeze out crops for a long time, if ever.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
What is lowest cost that you think that FF will get down to?
Canon has really pushed the price down, you may find some deals with a $100- savings, but the price is not likely to drop for at least 6-8 months. They will, of course offer deals when purchased with a lens, they have some good deals now, since many offer the free adapter plus grip.

Upvote 0
I meant to say
What will the cheapest ff be in the future?
How long do you think it will take a FF body to be 899 or 999 body only?

There already is one - the original 6D can be had for $999 now. What you spoke of, though, was a 70mpx FF camera with a 29mpx crop mode. That's not even a high-end FF camera now, let alone budget.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
What is lowest cost that you think that FF will get down to?
You can get a 6D in that price range, I don't think they are manufactured any longer and do not have DPAF, but until inventory is gone, they can be found for a low price.

The cheapest current production FF is the RP, it has a MSRP $100 less than a 6D MK II. If you want to know when it will be priced at under $1,000, that depends on sales and demand. Unless there is a total decline in ability to sell them, Canon is not going to cut the price that low for 3 -5 years, not until its like the original 6D, ot of production and replaced.

Upvote 0