Are the rebel series weather sealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedEye

First weekend out with the T2i and kit lens was a boat trip. Camera was totally submersed in an unseen wave - water in the battery box, mist behind the viewfinder, and a clouded LED screen on the back. I figured it was cooked so I took the lens off, battery out, and left the whole pile of soaked plastic on the end of the dock while I went in for lunch and boat fuel. Return two hours later, noted that the signed of internal vapor were gone, and decided to put humpty back together again. Everything Worked! And has quite well to this day!

That was two years ago. It woudl be fun to see how to determine the frame count of the body since that day, I bet its tens of thousands.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
They are not water sealed, but they are not full of gaps and holes either. They can stand a bit of inclement weather, but extended soaking in a downpour might just drown it. I've had rain on my 40D with no issues, I can't recall if my original Canon Rebel got wet, or my XT, or my XTi, but they never failed me, my daughter still has my old XTi and uses it frequently.

Upvote 0
N

Nassen0f

I had a 450D that developed internal moist after 5 months, and maybe 300 clicks. I was realy phobic about moist and rain when i had it cause i knew it wasnt weathersealed, but still couldnt save it..

My 40D tho, has been in cold/hot rooms, been in a little rain, snow and other moist situations. And its still going strong.

I know the 450D was more plastic compared to the 40D, but i guess i was unlucky with my purchase.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.