Are There Any More DSLRs Coming in 2018?

When I went digital with my photography, I switched from Nikon to Canon as Nikon seemingly lagged behind. I am please with Canon, has proven reliable, and if the photos are not good it is me, not my camera. However, starting over or even recommending to others, I would have a somewhat difficult time recommending Canon.

I relate Canon to a Toyota Corolla...they sell very well, proven reliable...so there is no need to update the model. For that reason, I did not buy another Toyota. Although, to be honest, I would buy another Canon body because I love the lenses. Fortunately I have no immediate reason to purchase another camera body.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ashmadux said:
"Real" Rebel models - t2i/3i/4i/5i/6i+s haven't been on a normal update schedule for years now since the t5i. It used to be yearly, every January or feb, then went to april, then later in the year, then....poof.

See Keith's timeline from Northlight calendar below. Looks like the 'real' Rebel models you are referring to just switching to a 2 year update instead of annually. We'll see.

- A

Attachments

• Northlight 2018.png
    Northlight 2018.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
Talys said:
the full screen coverage is only really helpful in action photography if you are tracking AI subject identification or tracking of some sort (because when do you purposely point the corner of a camera at a soccer player?). But when I gave it a go, I found that too often the AI would just pick a subject that I did not intend, so I went back to some single point or expanding single point mode. It's not bad, but it's not telepathic, and it's preferable for me to tell the camera what I want in focus, than it is to have it tell me what it thinks should be in focus.

I trust you. I don't shoot action.

But as a non-action stills guy, I'd love more VF coverage on my 5D3 for non-traditional framing opportunities. I imagine a lot of us here would, actually. We wouldn't use it often, but I could see it being useful in some circumstances.

- A

I feel your pain man, I hate it when the joystick doesn't move the box just a little more.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
wonderdude said:
I expect the 7D MkIII to be field tested this June & July at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, officially announced in September just before Photokina, and shipping in October.

Brings up a question -- 1-series rigs get time at the Olympics prior to launch. Is the 7D the same, or are field/wildlife/bird photographers usually the final public test pool?

- A

Upvote 0
New 5dsr with the dynamic range and noise performance of the 5d4 would be welcome and sooner the better. Current 5ds and r are old sensors with old problems. I keep renting the d850 for the resolution jobs, and like the 5d4, those files are a pleasure to work with. Now if they could match the colour characteristics of the 1dx2, well,thatd be a nice bonus

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
7D users are always clamoring for the next iteration years before typical launch patterns. It gets old. Just like them calling the 7D Mk2 a POS. Actual users say otherwise.

When the ship only comes to port every five years, people expect that ship to be laden with the good stuff, I guess.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The Flasher said:
New 5dsr with the dynamic range and noise performance of the 5d4 would be welcome and sooner the better. Current 5ds and r are old sensors with old problems. I keep renting the d850 for the resolution jobs, and like the 5d4, those files are a pleasure to work with. Now if they could match the colour characteristics of the 1dx2, well,thatd be a nice bonus

Prediction: the 5DS2 will permanently break Canon's FF portfolio from:

6D# = enthusiast
5D# = pro all-arounder (fps, high iso, video, etc.)
5DS/R = pro studio/landscape/detail

To:

6D2 = good
5D4 = better
5DS/R2 = best

...principally because of burst framerate. 7 fps in the 5D4 is too slow for a 'best' $3k+ price point in 2019, esp. when (say) a 60 MP x 6 fps 5DS/R2 might emerge that year. So I see the 5D4 sliding into the D750-like 'middle' FF price point bucket behind a line-leading 5DS/R2.

Nothing wrong with that, but if Canon's intention was to have two high end 5-series cameras, 9 fps or so on the 5D4 would have given them a fighting chance to pulling that off.

- A

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Flasher said:

What are the problems you find and why are the 5DIV a pleasure to work with in comparison?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
ahsanford said:
The Flasher said:

6D# = enthusiast

To:

6D2 = good
5D4 = better
5DS/R2 = best

...principally because of burst framerate. 7 fps in the 5D4 is too slow for a 'best' $3k+ price point in 2019, esp. when (say) a 60 MP x 6 fps 5DS/R2 might emerge that year. So I see the 5D4 sliding into the D750-like 'middle' FF price point bucket behind a line-leading 5DS/R2.

Nothing wrong with that, but if Canon's intention was to have two high end 5-series cameras, 9 fps or so on the 5D4 would have given them a fighting chance to pulling that off.

- A

Totally agree, will be very interesting to see how they handle that.
Of course the other option could be to bring the 5D series together again and make a one size fits all, 60MP 5 fps and 9 fps mRaw or 9fps raw crop mode. 2 reasons that won't happen though, would go totally against their current philosophy and that's what I'd love to have! ;D

The 7D3 and M5II differentiators will also be interesting (if the M5II gets a battery grip)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ahsanford said:
The Flasher said:

6D# = enthusiast

To:

6D2 = good
5D4 = better
5DS/R2 = best

- A

No it won't. Even if the burst rate was the same for a 5D MkIV and a 5DSR MkII there is enough differentiation between them to keep the later a specialty camera. The S/R will never have the video capabilities the regular camera does, headphone socket and or C-Log spring to mind, and most pros know what resolution they need most of the time and are smart enough not to buy into the marketing hype, dealing with 50MP images when you simply don't need them is a big negative. I have been shooting 20-21MP pro bodies for over ten years because that is what I need, not what the marketing teams, reviewers and YouTube experts tell me I should need.

I am in the market for a 5DSR II but purely for the rare occasions I need the MP, I don't care if it does 2fps and no video just so long as it gives me 50MP and on sensor A/D converter low iso image quality. I can tell the difference between many a 1DS MkIII shot and a 1DX MkII shot at 100 iso if I look in the shadows.

One silly side observation, I come from a slide shooting background so am used to minimal cropping for level etc, I have found, even though the 1DX MkII has less MP than the 1DS MkII the fact that I have a level in the viewfinder means I crop to level less than before so end up with more MP per image. I find that an interesting aside in the way technology has made my output 'better'.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
One silly side observation, I come from a slide shooting background so am used to minimal cropping for level etc, I have found, even though the 1DX MkII has less MP than the 1DS MkII the fact that I have a level in the viewfinder means I crop to level less than before so end up with more MP per image. I find that an interesting aside in the way technology has made my output 'better'.

Just to continue the silliness, you seem to be saying that more MP = better output. ;)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
privatebydesign said:

I also come from a slide shooting background too.... (pre-dating Kodachrome 64!)

I also had a problem with not getting the camera level, despite teasing about how the water runs downhill... I find it happens less with digital cameras as I do pay attention to the viewfinder level, so I also end up cropping less and not throwing out as much of the image. The level is one of those little features that we seldom think of that helps us along.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
I am in the market for a 5DSR II but purely for the rare occasions I need the MP, I don't care if it does 2fps and no video just so long as it gives me 50MP and on sensor A/D converter low iso image quality.

I am not saying the 5DSR2 should be everyone's choice if money is no object. I'm saying that it's very hard to argue the prestige/cost of a 30 MP x 7 fps camera and a 60 MP x 6 fps camera would be similar. Canon will position the 5DSR2 at the top of the (non-gripped) line, plain and simple.

One way Canon could have protected the relative prestige / asking price of the 5D4 was to give it more throughput, that's all. If this were 30x9 vs. 60x6 Canon would have a fighting chance to keep the 5D4 price up for a longer period of time, and they'd have a much easier marketing narrative of why there are two 5-series models and what they are best suited for. But as it stands, the 5D4 will be 'cake' and the 5DSR2 will be 'cake and eat it, too'.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
privatebydesign said:
One silly side observation, I come from a slide shooting background so am used to minimal cropping for level etc, I have found, even though the 1DX MkII has less MP than the 1DS MkIII the fact that I have a level in the viewfinder means I crop to level less than before so end up with more MP per image. I find that an interesting aside in the way technology has made my output 'better'.

Just to continue the silliness, you seem to be saying that more MP = better output. ;)

Ah but the better was in apostrophies. ;D 'Better' is so subjective.

I was concerned before I got the 1DX MkII that I was getting less MP than the 21 from the 1DS MkIII and I didn't want to go backwards, sure it is a comparatively minuscule amount, but hey I'm a boy! Turns out in real world use after the straightening crop I end up with more, not really saying more is better, just a silly observation from actual use. Obviously there is no practical difference between 20.2 and 21, or whatever they actually are, same as 99.9999% of the time the differences in shadow detail at 100 iso are not obvious to anybody but the most anal and fastidious of over analyzers ;)

My personal opinion of MP is similar to Colin Chapman's opinion on race cars, they should fall apart when it crosses the finish line, or, any MP that I have to process and store but aren't useful for my output are a complete waste of time energy and resources. So I am happy over 90% of the time with my 20, there are occasions when I'd happily take the 50 MP, but comparatively rarely. I notice you do a lot of very studious architectural images when on your trips with the TS-E's for quality yet on an 'mere' 18MP 'sports/wildlife' body. You know if you listened to DPR or 80% of the gearhead posters here you can't possibly get acceptable results using that combo, you need a 5D MkIV at the very least, but really you need a 5DSR.

[sarcasm]
Indeed what you should really be using is a 5DSR and a 16-35 f4 IS and shifting in post because the 'pixels on duck' will give you a higher quality image anyway... ::)
[/sarcasm]

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
yes, more mirrorslappers is exactly what the world needs and what the market wants! Big bucks market research of infallible Canon Corp clearly proves it!

Do you even understand the graphs you posted? Panderpixel's editorialization aside, what the data actually show is that MILC sales are still basically flat, and that the decline in dSLR shipments is leveling off...and doing so at a level that's well above MILC unit shipments.

to me the charts say .. MILC sales were flat as long as Canon (and Nikon) did not offer anything worthwhile. As soon as M5/M6 came out, they are picking up. And i would not invest a cent in mirrorslapper plants ... even if you might interpreting the charts your way ... :)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
yes, more mirrorslappers is exactly what the world needs and what the market wants! Big bucks market research of infallible Canon Corp clearly proves it!

Do you even understand the graphs you posted? Panderpixel's editorialization aside, what the data actually show is that MILC sales are still basically flat, and that the decline in dSLR shipments is leveling off...and doing so at a level that's well above MILC unit shipments.

to me the charts say .. MILC sales were flat as long as Canon (and Nikon) did not offer anything worthwhile. As soon as M5/M6 came out, they are picking up. And i would not invest a cent in mirrorslapper plants ... even if you might interpreting the charts your way ... :)
That interpretation requires the (very much unverified) assumption that M5/M6 were a significant component of that rise in sales. That might be true. Here's the deal though: Canon actually knows if that was the case. Clearly, if they see what you want to see in the graph, they would act on it. Again: you might be right, but Canon knows for certain.

AvTvM, your explanations are often plausible, in the sense that they could be true. But without evidence it's a story, nothing more.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
The Flasher said:

What are the problems you find and why are the 5DIV a pleasure to work with in comparison?

Noise at medium iso, canon banding at high iso, dynamic range. I push the files around quite a bit, very noticeable.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
ahsanford said:
The Flasher said:

6D# = enthusiast

To:

6D2 = good
5D4 = better
5DS/R2 = best

- A

I am in the market for a 5DSR II but purely for the rare occasions I need the MP, I don't care if it does 2fps and no video just so long as it gives me 50MP and on sensor A/D converter low iso image quality. I can tell the difference between many a 1DS MkIII shot and a 1DX MkII....

Agreed. Only need the resolution, not fps, video functions etc. Click by click image quality for advertising shoots, where cropping is always a factor. Also architectural photography.

Upvote 0