Are these the 7 RF lenses Canon will be announcing in 2020? [CR1]

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
the R5 with 12/ 20fps 45MP should be enough to sway some of the sports photographers. epecially at some of the less static sports so they can crop.
Sure, right! 12/20 fps @45MP looks good, now let's see the fine print and figure it out when and how it actually works...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the R5 with 12/ 20fps 45MP should be enough to sway some of the sports photographers. epecially at some of the less static sports so they can crop.
Except we know nothing about its autofocus speed and accuracy. 12 fps means nothing if the R5 has shutter lag and slow autofocus.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Hmmm, let me count the number of 17mm TS lenses are on the market. Oh! Precisely one. Canon’s. Nikon only managed 19mm and it did not become the must have lens for architectural photography.
As for a filter there are solutions if you are not too cheap to buy the systems available.
When someone beats Canon’s solution to UWA TS lenses we can then talk. But the canard of a filter ring on a unique lens is the weakest of possible arguments to be made against it.
Great point. Years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend one of Pro Photographer John Shaw's classes on modern DSLR photographic techniques. He was a Nikon user(perhaps still is) but while sitting in one of his 3 days of classes, he pointed out that he loved Canon's T/S lenses so much, that he found a photographic gear technician that could modify one of them by removing the Canon mount and somehow installing a Nikon mount, thus enabling him the use of same on his Nikon bodies, albeit with total manual control and no electronic feedback, of course. I wonder if he still employs that modified lens.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Except we know nothing about its autofocus speed and accuracy. 12 fps means nothing if the R5 has shutter lag and slow autofocus.

Why would Canon do that? If the AF cannot keep up with the FPS then it is silly to make the camera.
I do not see Canon doing this, more likely a Sony or Nikon failure but not Canon.
Who knows but it would be silly.

Upvote 0
The list seems fine. But I find it strange that if that list is correct, why are they releasing the TCs at this point? The 70-200/2.8 isn't compatible. To use on a f/7.1 lens? I could see attempting to use the 1.4 on the 100-500 but the 2x would be really pushing things for the slow f-stop.
Now maybe if this list is correct, the 70-135/2 will be compatible for a 98-189 f/2.8 and a 140-270 f/4.

But because of the release of the TCs (especially the 2x), I think the list is bogus and there has to be at least one 300mm+ prime coming f/4 or faster.
Is is posted somewhere that the RF 70-200 won’t work with the new extenders? The EF 2.8 works with EF extenders. Why would this be any different?

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
What is the shutter lag?
I don’t know where you got that but this is not about the shutter lag, but the EVF lag, especially obvious for fast action photos.
The EOS-R is pretty bad in this regard but I didn’t notice any shutter lag.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The shutter lag was mentioned here
My mistake. I meant the lag time between when the action occurs, when you see the image in the viewfinder and when the picture gets taken. I called it shutter lag but I suppose EVF lag might be more accurate. Most people understand but some are pedantic. You’ll have to excuse me as English is my first language.

Upvote 0

Nelu

CR Pro
The shutter lag was mentioned here
I see that now,thanks.
Well, as I see it the EOS-R doesn’t have either of them: the AF is very fast and accurate and there is no shutter lag.Of course, I guess you have to use and learn the camera before blaming the OOF photos on it.
My only grip with the EOS-R is the lag in the EVF when shooting fast action. Nothing else...

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarification. I only asked what shutter lag was and I didn't imply questions about anyone's first language etc.

My mistake. I meant the lag time between when the action occurs, when you see the image in the viewfinder and when the picture gets taken. I called it shutter lag but I suppose EVF lag might be more accurate. Most people understand but some are pedantic. You’ll have to excuse me as English is my first language.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If one values detail and crispness, however - and I do - that middle ISO range is where detail retention really begins to drop off (even if noise levels remain within the acceptable range). By 6400 the image is already close to mush. Thankfully color noise is kept under enough control that 12,800 isn't too much worse.

I'm hoping this new R5 lacks an AA filter...
i shoot at ISO 6400 with 5DIV quite a lot. it is not as bad as you define. certainly not a mushy image. i guess, it depends on a workflow one is following.,

DXO Photolab3 certainly takes good care of ISO6400 RAW files of 5DIV.

Upvote 0