Are These The Next Canon Cameras To Be Announced? [CR1]

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
461
69
No one has mentioned a larger battery.
If we could get to 500-600 CIPA rated exposures we would all be happier.
 

slclick

5D Mark V
Dec 17, 2013
2,790
215
jalps said:
Talys said:
slclick said:
I love my M5, that being said, if it was improved, sure, I'd upgrade.
I've almost bought an M5 so many times. Perhaps I will purchase an M5Mk2! :)
I feel the exact same way. I don't seen enough of a difference over my 80D to justify the move, but a Mk2 would probably push me over the edge.
If I already had the 80D I wouldn't have gotten it, my purchase had nothing to do with it being ML.
 

Talys

Canon 6DII
Feb 16, 2017
2,044
312
Vancouver, BC
slclick said:
jalps said:
Talys said:
slclick said:
I love my M5, that being said, if it was improved, sure, I'd upgrade.
I've almost bought an M5 so many times. Perhaps I will purchase an M5Mk2! :)
I feel the exact same way. I don't seen enough of a difference over my 80D to justify the move, but a Mk2 would probably push me over the edge.
If I already had the 80D I wouldn't have gotten it, my purchase had nothing to do with it being ML.
I have, and love an 80D.

The reason I have wanted an M5 is 100% GAS. There is no intelligent reason for me to buy one, other than that I want to buy one :)

I would probably leave it in my car, and discover every time I wanted to use it that the battery was at 8%. :'( Not because I rarely use a camera that I have with me in the car, but because I have my 6D2 with 100-400II with me in the car most of the time =X And, in the long periods between real use, the battery would trickle down.
 

tiggy@mac.com

Pentax K-1000
Jan 20, 2014
469
142
Thetford, VT
www.ForestMetrix.com
I sold my M5 after a few months. Gave it a go and liked it. But I need a very fast-acting camera. Turn on/focus/shoot should be extremely fast. I found the M5 sluggish, the AF not quite as fast in some situations, and - most annoyingly - the camera seemed to have about 90 percent of the computing power it needed. When I used my thumb on the screen to move the focus point, I detected occasional lags.

It took me weeks to get comfortable enough with it to realize just what was happening, but then was maddening when it did. I've been waiting since for a new one to improve that speed performance. If it has 12fps and the sensor tech that goes into the 5D4, then I might buy it as the action body that my 5D4 is really not. Much will be determined by FPS and sensor IQ for me. Other features are nice, but if it isn't close in those categories, I'll wait for the full frame mirrorless, provided those specs are within throwing distance of the Sony equivalents. And provided Canon actually comes out with something before my kids have grandkids.

-tig

PS: As a side note, I've loved Sigma glass for some time, but I'm really emphasizing it now in lens choices, as it'll allow me to use my main glass on Sony with the new Sigma adapter. This might be my mirrorless hedge, as no one can really know how slow Canon will be.
 

Chaitanya

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 27, 2013
979
96
33
Pune
Etienne said:
I hope they go all-in with the M5 mk II: in body IS, good usable 4K
Since we are talking about camera Haters, this won't happen neither will adoption of USB Type-C port or UHS-II SD slots or adoption of OLED/eInk instead of prehistoric passive matrix LCD for info panel.
Soup Nazi from Seinfeld:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA
 

fullstop

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 23, 2018
1,088
151
Chaitanya said:
Etienne said:
I hope they go all-in with the M5 mk II: in body IS, good usable 4K
... this won't happen neither will adoption of USB Type-C port or UHS-II SD slots or adoption of OLED/eInk instead of prehistoric passive matrix LCD for info panel.
yes, Canon Powershot firmware is only in its 4th generation. It will need at least another 4 generations until some of those points are implemented. Canon and the 21st century are not really in sync yet. :p ;D
 
Dec 6, 2016
245
131
tiggy@mac.com said:
I sold my M5 after a few months. Gave it a go and liked it. But I need a very fast-acting camera. Turn on/focus/shoot should be extremely fast. I found the M5 sluggish, the AF not quite as fast in some situations, and - most annoyingly - the camera seemed to have about 90 percent of the computing power it needed. When I used my thumb on the screen to move the focus point, I detected occasional lags.

It took me weeks to get comfortable enough with it to realize just what was happening, but then was maddening when it did. I've been waiting since for a new one to improve that speed performance. If it has 12fps and the sensor tech that goes into the 5D4, then I might buy it as the action body that my 5D4 is really not. Much will be determined by FPS and sensor IQ for me. Other features are nice, but if it isn't close in those categories, I'll wait for the full frame mirrorless, provided those specs are within throwing distance of the Sony equivalents. And provided Canon actually comes out with something before my kids have grandkids.

-tig

PS: As a side note, I've loved Sigma glass for some time, but I'm really emphasizing it now in lens choices, as it'll allow me to use my main glass on Sony with the new Sigma adapter. This might be my mirrorless hedge, as no one can really know how slow Canon will be.
Can't see it being an action body tbh. More a jack of all trades. Probably a very good jack of all trades but that is it
 

-1

EOS 80D
Dec 18, 2014
187
2
I'm into stills, mostly and think that the difference between the M5 and M50 should be bigger to justify the former. If I were to upgrade my original M. A M5 Mark II would be welcomed, not saying that I would buy one though...

Let's hope that Canon continues to focus on IQ and not starts o obsess themselves on winning the specs war on all fronts! The last Japanese attempt to win world domination, with friends did not end well!

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=canon_eos5dmkii&attr13_1=canon_eos70d&attr13_2=canon_eosm5&attr13_3=canon_eosm50&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=800&attr16_1=800&attr16_2=800&attr16_3=800&normalization=compare&widget=1&x=-0.34378423139625536&y=-0.05421728833051816

 

jolyonralph

Kodak Brownie
Aug 25, 2015
1,052
253
49
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
For me the biggest drawback of the EOS M5, and it's one I'm sure that none of you even realised is a problem, is the lack of support for USB tethered shooting.

Wifi shooting just isn't good enough for multi-shot macro photography (slow, unreliable, extremely limited software support). I'd love to be able to control the camera on a Stackshot Pro using Helicon Remote, but no, i have to stick with a heavy DSLR because Canon doesn't support USB tethering.
 

fullstop

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 23, 2018
1,088
151
Other people have noted no support for USB tethered shooting as well.
One of many problems of the "4th generation crippled" Powershot firmware. :mad:
 

BillB

EOS 6D MK II
May 11, 2017
880
109
fullstop said:
Other people have noted no support for USB tethered shooting as well.
One of many problems of the "4th generation crippled" Powershot firmware. :mad:
why do you keep quoting yourself? Just curious.
 
D

Deleted member 380306

Guest
Despite all these comments and spec rumours I have little faith in Canon delivering anything worth while, it's just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too, I'll wait for news of the FFML but I know it will be a long wait with the result no doubt being a cut down version of what we want...
 

Orangutan

EOR R
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
TonyPicture said:
just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too,
What stops you from buying some other brand, then?
 
D

Deleted member 380306

Guest
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:
just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too,
What stops you from buying some other brand, then?
Large investment in class and camera TBH and I hope that they'll actually deliver a FFML that is useful, failing that I'll agree it's time to look elsewhere as a friend has sold up and jumped over to the Sony A73 he's very happy with his new investment and hasn't missed his 6d2 yet...
 

Orangutan

EOR R
Sep 25, 2010
2,140
3
TonyPicture said:
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:
just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too,
What stops you from buying some other brand, then?
Large investment in class and camera TBH and I hope that they'll actually deliver a FFML that is useful, failing that I'll agree it's time to look elsewhere as a friend has sold up and jumped over to the Sony A73 he's very happy with his new investment and hasn't missed his 6d2 yet...
I guess I don't understand: how you, as an individual, choose to spend your money is not of concern to Canon. They're interested only in the aggregate expenditure (and profits). So far, they've done better on that than other brands. Like you, I don't have the money to maintain multiple kits from different manufacturers, but I don't see that as Canon's fault or problem: they make their product choices, then I decide how (or if) to spend my money.
 

melgross

EOS RP
Nov 2, 2016
284
98
If it doesn’t support tethered shooting, I wouldn’t be surprised. These aren’t intended as studio cameras, or even location oriented for production useage.

These are on the hand street, candid and walking around cameras. They’re small and lightweight for that purpose. Using them tethered basically defeats the purpose of the M series.