Are these USA Canon rebates really worth it?

S

scottsdaleriots

Like right now USA Canon have started new rebates for some of their lenses - the old rebate only ended a few days ago. As an aussie do you think they're worth saving the extra $$$ and buying from B&H (since they have the rebates now)? Even with the 'rebate' Adorama are still expensive and Amazon dcurrently don't have the rebates.

I'm tempted to buy from overseas with the rebates available since buying cameras/lenses is so expensive here. But you know, there's something called the greedy australian government and their VAT and GST fees. Oh(!) not to mention the outrageous shipping fees. What do you reckon?

Coz I'm tempted interested in buying a 50mm lens (either 1.2L or 1.4). But then if I get a dud copy I can't return it without spending a small fortune on return shipping and insurance, etc to the store (e.g Amazon).

RC

Jun 11, 2011
I certainly think they are worth it--at least here in then USA. I wish I could take more advantage of them more often. As far as Amazon and other dealers offering rebates, their posted price is a reflection of the rebates.

I know this for sure with Amazon since I have several lens in my wishlist and I check the prices pretty much daily. As soon as the rebate starts, the priced has been reduced by the rebate amount. Sometimes there is even a note on the web page stating the Manufacturer's rebate but usually not. (I usually favor Amazon because I get a percentage kick back when using an Amazon credit card--Aah more money for more gear.) What about Amazon Australia?

Monitor Canon Price Watch.com and purchase from the lowest price (reputable) vendor regardless of the rebate.

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

^ We don't have VAT? Lol I thought we did, my bad. DOn't customs open every parcel/package that comes into our country? I lack knowledge in this area but the rebates are tempting, especially currently with the aussie dollar being a bit higher than the greenback.

RC said:
I certainly think they are worth it--at least here in then USA. I wish I could take more advantage of them more often. As far as Amazon and other dealers offering rebates, their posted price is a reflection of the rebates.

I know this for sure with Amazon since I have several lens in my wishlist and I check the prices pretty much daily. As soon as the rebate starts, the priced has been reduced by the rebate amount. Sometimes there is even a note on the web page stating the Manufacturer's rebate but usually not. (I usually favor Amazon because I get a percentage kick back when using an Amazon credit card--Aah more money for more gear.) What about Amazon Australia?

Monitor Canon Price Watch.com and purchase from the lowest price (reputable) vendor regardless of the rebate.
Amazon Australia doesn't exist, I wish it did though! Thanks for the website. I shall have a look. I want to take a short 'holiday' in the US just so I can order and load up on all this Canon gear from Amazon or whatever and take advantage on the free shipping, lol :) but then I would most likely have to pay some kind of custom fee when I return.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Many camera sellers, like B&H discount cameras and lenses. When Canon offers rebates, they are based on the full MSRP. This often results in a higher price rather than a real discount.

On the other hand, Black Friday or Cyber Monday offere real discounts if you are quick on the trigger. You will need to check websites or use one of the deal finder pieces of software. Some onlly last an hour!

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
I would say Yes. Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses. I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year. I just got two "L" lenses in the past few weeks due to these great price and I am finding it very hard not to get a few more as the prices are likely lower then they will be for the rest of 2012 (at least until next Xmas).

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer. So any lenses I plan on needing in the next 6 months, I am trying to convince my wife they would make great Xmas gift! - lol

Good luck...

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
JR said:
...Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses. I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year....

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer....

I know what you mean, I just spent most of my "photography allocated" money on a 16-35 and now I'm seriously considering the 35 1.4 before the rebate ends.

My biggest concern is Canon might be right around the corner to update this lens since its quite old (1998). I wish they would update the optics and add weather sealing. I need a crystal ball. Well, I've got till the 7th to decide.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
RC said:
JR said:
...Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses. I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year....

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer....

I know what you mean, I just spent most of my "photography allocated" money on a 16-35 and now I'm seriously considering the 35 1.4 before the rebate ends.

My biggest concern is Canon might be right around the corner to update this lens since its quite old (1998). I wish they would update the optics and add weather sealing. I need a crystal ball. Well, I've got till the 7th to decide.

I had the same concerns since for sure I will be getting the 35 1.4L mkII when ever it comes out and if it comes out! Reading through the posts here there are two short term possibilities for the release of new lenses, either December 6th (tomorrow but only a CR1) or sometimes during the CES in January. Since BH Photo Video offers you 30 day return policy, if you get the 35 1.4L anytime after mid December I think this would give you the option to return it if the new one comes out during the CES.

Keep in mind if they announce new lenses they may or may not become available right away. For myself, I needed something wider then my 50mm ASAP and ultimately decided that with the current rebate and coupled with a mkII price likely more that the mkI price, I will be able to sell my 35mm 1.4L when the new one comes out with little $$ loss i think. That's why I bought it even if a new one may come out within the next 6 months...

Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First of all, these rebates seem to be very good for certain lenses. But, it varies by lens. The best thing to do is to look at the price history charts on canonpricewatch.com and see if the lenses you are thinking of buying are discounted enough to make it worthwhile.

The two lenses you mentioned were the 50mm f1.4 and the 50 mm f1.2. It looks like the f1.4 is only about $20 less with the rebate than what it was selling for pre-rebate.The f1.2 lens looks to be a better deal, selling for about $100 less than pre-rebate. (But it is a dang expensive lens in the first place.) I note that B&H is selling the lens new for less than they have a refurbished version listed at (a pretty good sign that it's a decent price.)

In either case though, you'd have to decide if the savings are sufficient to justify the hassle of buying the lens in the grey market and getting it home.

By the way, if anyone needs a rationalization for buying Canon lenses, this is a fun article:
http://www.canonpricewatch.com/canon-lenses-better-stocks/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
darklord said:
But I also heard that the 14-24 is coming out so I'm rethinking about it.

Where did you hear that? I've only seen rumors sent in by those who have zero information, but make up rumors for entertainment. If you depend on them for purchase information, you may be waiting another 5 or 10 years.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Where did you hear that? I've only seen rumors sent in by those who have zero information, but make up rumors for entertainment. If you depend on them for purchase information, you may be waiting another 5 or 10 years.

The 16-35 drop another $50 so I'm gonna jump on it at $1390. It's almost the same as CL used prices. You are right, even if the 14-24 does come out, it's gonna be more expensive than the 16-35.

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

JR said:
I would say Yes. Right now is the best time to load up on Canon lenses. I have not seen price as attractive as from B&H Photo Video for example in the past year. I just got two "L" lenses in the past few weeks due to these great price and I am finding it very hard not to get a few more as the prices are likely lower then they will be for the rest of 2012 (at least until next Xmas).

I mean, I got the 70-200 f2.8L IS II and the 35 f1.4L for a total rebate (both lenses) of ~$600-$700 compared to their prices during the summer. So any lenses I plan on needing in the next 6 months, I am trying to convince my wife they would make great Xmas gift! - lol

Good luck...
B&H price combined with the current rebate the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II lens is $1000 cheaper here. That's a bargin! I really wanna get a 50mm, but I enrolled in my photography course today and was gobsmacked at what the fees were like- $10,000 for the first year. Not including materials. And they're forcing us to get a FF camera, I'd get a grey market FF camera since the 5dmkIII wont be released in the first half of next year.

I tested both the 1.2L and 1.4 50mm lenses today (city camera house) and they're selling the L for $2000 I asked if he could go cheaper and he said a "great deal" that he offered was $1980. That's $20 difference, WTF! 1.4 = $585 and sima 1.4 (which wasnt available to test out even) = $525. These rebates are tempting me.

But one of my future teachers said that when went start in feb he'll talk in detail about getting "great deals on cameras, flashes, light metres and lenses". I highly doubt they'll be cheaper or if come close to internet/overseas prices. DO I wait til Feb or do I just buy the lens now?? I dont *need* it at all, I just want it lol

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
scottsdaleriots said:
I tested both the 1.2L and 1.4 50mm lenses today (city camera house) and they're selling the L for $2000 I asked if he could go cheaper and he said a "great deal" that he offered was $1980.

But one of my future teachers said that when went start in feb he'll talk in detail about getting "great deals on cameras, flashes, light metres and lenses". I highly doubt they'll be cheaper or if come close to internet/overseas prices. DO I wait til Feb or do I just buy the lens now?? I dont *need* it at all, I just want it lol

Hey Scott, are you referring to the 85mm 1.2 or the 50mm 1.2 and 1.4 above? B&H currently has the 85 1.2L for $1859. I am ready to bet this is the best price you can get for a while. If it is within your budget go for it. On the other hand, the Canon 85mm 1.4 is also a very good lens if it suits your budget better.

Good luck with your course!

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

The 50mm lens. I didnt try the 85mm although I should've. Now I'm wondering whether I should get the 85mm (maybe even get the L) than get a 50mm. But everyone talks about how all serious photographers should have a 50mm lens in their bag. But I've heard the 50mm is good for the crop camera (like for my 7D) but it's a little too wide for a FF camera which I'm told we'll have to all buy for school. But then again some people say the 50mm for a FF camera is good. I dont want another camera (unless of course it's the 5dmkIII :)) and TBH I don't need another camera.

These rebates only happen once or twice, maybe even three times if Canon are feeling generous, a year. They seem like good deals. But the first and last time I bought gear from B&H it was a really bad experience, my package was delayed for 3 weeks and in that time my 70-200 was scratched and banged up and some paint chipped off (I dont know how to fix that, would canon fix it under warranty for something like that?). So now I try to stay away from B&H - shipping costs a small fortune as well :(

Upvote 0
N

niccyboy

i prefer the 50... i got rid of my 85 as i never used it, although colleagues of mine are the opposite.

It comes down to how you use it, how you shoot and personal preference.

They are both fantastic lenses... the 50 however is weather sealed and the 85, due to the way the lens focus set up works, isn't.... that is important to me, as i do a lot of photojournalism... however, the 50 is quite short for pj.

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

I currently dont need either the 50mm or the 85mm. But looking into the future (studying next year) I'll be doing a lot of studio work (from what's been said so far it will include food photography and portraits, both low key and high key). So I'm not sure.

Also I forgot to write this my "battle of the 50's" thread, but would I be able to put a filter on the 50mm 1.4? My knowledge is lacking in this area but I'm not sure because the front part of the lens extends out 1cm or so. Wouldn't that move the filter or something?

Upvote 0