Are we going to get a II version of the 28-300mm?

I'm a Fuji user planning to use L lenses for several reasons:
  • Fuji doesn't make lenses that are useful to me (28-300, 70-300, Sigma 180 f/2.8 macro... )
  • Eventually Canon will offer a stills focused mirrorless body that catches up with the competition at an affordable price ($2,000 - $2,500) and a tilting non-flippy rear LCD
  • An eventual switch to Canon will be painless
  • In some cases the Canon lenses are significantly superior (though more expensive), the 100-400 II puts the Fuji to shame though the street price is $1,000 higher
  • Within 5 years, Fuji will probably abandon the camera business
So while I'm happy with the current 28-300mm L (except for the zoom mechanism which I can live with), it's old enough to be on the replacement schedule. It's a lot of money to spend and then have a replacement released in the near term.

Thanks,
Bill

I spent several years waiting for Canon to update the 17-55mm and 10-22mm. I gave up waiting and bought both, no regrets.
Not even the 18-200mm had a refresh, nor Canon made an 18-300mm like the Sigma / Tamron.
A "28-300mm L" upgrade is unlikely, considering the few units sold.
My advice is: Buy now what satisfies you. The future may never come.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately you are probably right. Unlikely that Canon is going to release any more EF lenses anyway. Used copies of this lens tend to go for $800-1200 so I've just got to keep my eye on CraigsList so I can personally check it out. Though everything I've purchased used from Henry's has been very good to excellent so maybe try them first. Was considering the latest Tamron and the IQ isn't bad but not up to the Canon optically, build quality or weather sealing.

Thanks for your rapid response.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If there is a new Canon 28-300mm, it will be an RF lens and probably 24-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0