Are you left-handed or right-handed...?

Are you left-handed or right-handed...?

• Total voters

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I was quite ambidextrous as a young child. I used to write and draw with both hands and play a musical instrument both ways but kind of grew out of it. I guess the world is so designed for right-handedness that you have little option but to adapt.

The reason I actually started this thread was that I woke up this morning having slept badly and cut blood circulation to my right arm so had a very weird experience brushing my teeth with my left hand. This whole experience had me thinking of a work colleague from my previous job who had suffered a stroke. He lost most of the function on one side of his body but had subsequently adapted to do many things including driving.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Student of Light.
I'm somewhat ambidextrous, as in there are lots of things I will do either handed, sawing wood, stirring a drink, lead with left or right foot, but I am predominantly right handed, possibly because I have learned to be because of tools like scissors cameras etc which are right handed (unless you go looking to buy left handed scissors).

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Click said:
Right handed, but I bat and golf left handed, kick with both feet, right eyed. :D
At school I used to bat both left and right for cricket although I was more successful batting left. Conversely I was more successful bowling right handed. Fortunately the cricket bat is symmetrical so no design difference is necessary, no so with golf clubs... I'm no golfer so curious if lefty golf clubs are as easily available as righty clubs and do they cost the same or are they a special order?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
old-pr-pix said:
I'm left-handed, left eye dominant and throw left-handed; but bat, golf, hockey all right-handed... go figure? In my experience it is common for folks in media, advertising, graphic arts, etc. to be left-handed. I've been in a lot of meetings where almost all the people around the table were left-handed.

I've heard it said that lefties are more creative.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Let's not forget the 7D L:

Canon-7D-L-DSLR-Camera.jpg

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Cameras/Canon-EOS-7D-L-Left-Handed-DSLR-Camera.aspx

Upvote 0
Absolutely right handed ("thinking with my right hand") but ...
- changed ~ 15 years ago into the IT and had problems with my right shoulder. Self diagnosis lead to problems with extended mouse use: learned to use the mouse with my left hand. After several weeks of jittery mouse movements it worked very good. Never had problems with my shoulders.
- tried to write with my left hand: Never worked. One time I tried it spontanously without too much thinking and I wrote from right to left, produced something unreadable which seemed to be hand writing. Viewing the paper from the back side (with light shining through) it was very readable: If I just write with my left hand it is mirrored hand writing. A well known phenomenon, that hands do their tasks mirror-like.

So maybe some creativity in homeopathic doses ...

Upvote 0
Click said:
StudentOfLight said:
I'm no golfer so curious if lefty golf clubs are as easily available as righty clubs and do they cost the same or are they a special order?

Lefty golf clubs are as easily available as righty clubs and they are the same price. :)

They are nowadays but when I started playing golf in the 80's it wasn't the case. Many clubs were not made for lefties like me :( Lefty Phil was a big influence in the change to availability I guess.

Upvote 0
I'm left handed and left eyed, but play guitar and bat right handed.
My first slr was a left-handed Exacta, but ever since 1968 when I bought my first Canon (an FT QL), They've all been right handed cameras. :mad:

I find it easy to get left handed scissors, but left handed spanners and screwdrivers are hard to find!

Upvote 0