Votes: 47 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 29, 2011
tiger82 said:
privatebydesign said:
I assume you are including me in the "FF snobs" comment? If so why, what do you know about my needs, current gear and the 7D MkII that I don't?

Oh I own a 1D too.

No, but you did. But you made me read your post. You say you have no interest in a "performance" crop body but you still own a 1D? Incidentally, the 7D and the 1Ds Mk III were aimed at different segments. While the 7D is better for some, the 1Ds III is better for others. I've seen 7Ds on the sports sidelines and no 1Ds IIIs. It's the reverse in the studio. I have FF, APS-H, and APS-C bodies that I use in different situations. The 1Dx would replace all 3 but at twice the cost. I don't know your needs but you don't know everyone else's either.

Like all my gear, I have a specific reason for it. The 1D is worthless to sell but a very good stop motion camera, I can, and have, left it for days taking pictures of grass growing, I'd rather put 4,000 frames on a camera I can replace for less than the shutter of my other cameras.

I have no doubt many would favour the 7D over the 1Ds MkIII, I wasn't answering for them, or the "sports shooters" you have seen with them, I was answering from my perspective because that is the one I am qualified to answer from.

I too have FF, APS-H and APS-C, I have no interest in a "performance" crop camera. The OP's question is "Are you planning to purchase a 7D2?". My answer is still that I have no interest in a performance crop camera, 100,000,000 might, but I don't.

Upvote 0
I'll be preordering one. Whether I keep it or not is TBD. I really wanted to love the 7d. I shot it for over a year, but just couldn't warm up to it. The rumored specs look promising. I suspect we'll get really solid details this weekend or Monday. It's tough to keep specs totally secret right up until release date due to the marketing materials, (posters, brochures, sales training, etc) that canon needs time to get set up and ready for photokina. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Absolutely not. Reading the tentative specs, I see zero reason (based on my cash/needs) to drop that kind of money.

I love, love, love my 5D3. If there were another fire here in Colorado Springs (like the ones we had last summer and the one before that) I'd grab my animals, my bag of important papers and that camera body.

My poor 7D sits in the camera cabinet in its warm neoprene case, waiting for me to wake it up. If only there weren't a glut of 7D's on the market, I'd find a good home for him. ::)

Matter of fact, I'm going a different direction, I'm going to purchase an EOS 1V HS within the next month. Time to go old school B&W!

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
With talk of possible sensor improvements I was keen to get a 7D-II, but the way that rumors are shaping up in recent weeks perhaps it won't be the camera for me. For someone who'd honestly only occasionally use it out in the bush, I'd probably be fine with a slightly-less-solidly-built-but-still-weather-sealed body, especially if that will have newer sensor tech. I could definitely wait for an 80D or a substantial mirrorless offering.

I have a 5D-III, 6D, 1Ds-III and a 60D, so I'm really not desperately in need of a new body. I'm more than happy to shoot with what I have and wait for some significant development(s).

Upvote 0
Hi,
I use my DSLR mainly for birding and now using 6D with Tamron 150-600mm. I feel the center point AI Servo AF of 6D is slow, but I'm not sure whether is it the 6D center point AF is slow. If 7D2 AI Servo AF is faster, more accurate and more reliable, most likely I'll sell my 6D and get a 7D2 (unless the 7D2 is as expensive as a 5D3).

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
I will preorder at the local shop but only if the spec stays more or less like mentioned here and the price is good.

I really want a good AF performing crop-body. The current AF specification, based on rumors, looks quite challenging. I expect iso somewhere acceptable at 3200. And a price about 2000€ so that there is a gap with the current 5D3 camera. If price would come close to 5D3, then I must really look what to do. I have a 5D3 and a 1Dx. But, somewhere I am missing a crop camera. I still have a 7D but its AF is so far behind compared to the FFs I have and the iso is a general 7D problem. So, I hope the current specification will become the final one and that combined with a price about 2000€ and Canon has sold one :).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Of course, with only 63 people voting (so far) one shouldn't generalize. But I at least find it interesting that after several days and intense 7DII bashing on other threads, most people seem interested in this body.

I discount those who say the own a 1D series or 5D series, as that's not really the target audience for this body. (And, I admit I now fall into that 5D category).

Still, I'm a definite maybe. If I start getting the time to shoot more wildlife and birds I will definitely consider it, especially if it auto focuses at f8 and a new 100-400 actually surfaces at some point with a reasonable price tag. (Or alternatively, I decided to go for the Tamron 150-600).

My current 7D doesn't get much use these days, so I probably shouldn't even consider this. But, I have been in a few distance-limited situations where having the 7D would make a difference, so yeah, eventually this could be in my camera bag.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
weixing said:
Hi,
I use my DSLR mainly for birding and now using 6D with Tamron 150-600mm. I feel the center point AI Servo AF of 6D is slow, but I'm not sure whether is it the 6D center point AF is slow. If 7D2 AI Servo AF is faster, more accurate and more reliable, most likely I'll sell my 6D and get a 7D2 (unless the 7D2 is as expensive as a 5D3).

Have a nice day.

If its like the D1 X, it will have a separate processor for autofocus. The speed of autofocus not only depends on the lens and processor in the body, but on the battery voltage. A higher voltage battery can drive the lens AF motor faster. A used 1D MK IV should still be a better choice than a 7D MK II for your use.

Upvote 0
If the rumored specs are accurate, I don't see the 7DII being for me at this time. There just isn't enough daylight between those specs and my 1DIV to make it worthwhile. I'm sure it will be amazing for people upgrading from an older xxD or as a crop supplement to a 6D or something similar.

Of course it'll be worth waiting for the official announcement and initial reviews. If Canon does end up putting some new sensor tech in the 7DII or the feature set ends up being a vast improvement over the 1DIV then I might be interested. Especially if the introductory price is under $2k (lol right). What I might do is look into a used 7D as a back up body when the announcement pushes prices down...

Upvote 0