Votes: 54 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
An interesting result....

Despite the negativity about various rumoured features, it comes close to an even split between those planning to purchase and those who wont. This might indicate a well selling model.... but of course everything depends on what the real camera is, and unfortunately we will probably have to wait for an official announcement for that.

Upvote 0
Hannes said:
I would possibly buy one but only if it came with features to make it better than the 1DIV as it is expected to land at roughly the same price new vs used. I don't really know what it would take to convince me though.

Higher burst rate, better AF unit, at least equivalent (or better) noise handling at ISO 1600-3200, metering linked to AF point, integrated grip, and a usable AutoISO with exposure comp and selectable min/max shutter speed would get me seriously thinking about it.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2013
Don Haines said:

Despite the negativity about various rumoured features, it comes close to an even split between those planning to purchase and those who wont. This might indicate a well selling model.... but of course everything depends on what the real camera is, and unfortunately we will probably have to wait for an official announcement for that.

I find it a bit disturbing that only 7% might buy one after they test it, 31.5% will only buy one if reviewed positively. While reviews are useful for gathering information, I think making a purchasing decision primarily on a review for something like a camera (or lens) is a bad idea. Reviewers rarely capture and communicate all of the positives and negatives of a device effectively, and only you can see if feels right for you.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Ruined said:
Don Haines said:

I find it a bit disturbing that only 7% might buy one after they test it, 31.5% will only buy one if reviewed positively. While reviews are useful for gathering information, I think making a purchasing decision primarily on a review for something like a camera (or lens) is a bad idea. Reviewers rarely capture and communicate all of the positives and negatives of a device effectively, and only you can see if feels right for you.
Agreed. Ergonomics is a big thing... One of the reasons why I went Canon instead of Nikon was because I hated the Nikon user interface....

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Don Haines said:
Ruined said:
Don Haines said:

Agreed. Ergonomics is a big thing... One of the reasons why I went Canon instead of Nikon was because I hated the Nikon user interface....

+1 Ergonomics are indeed very important. My initial Canon DSLR didn’t have the best grip –other ergonomics were ‘ok’, but over time Canon have got better, and particularly when I upgraded to the 7D, that camera was (and is) just the right size / DSLR form for me. (I categorise “pocketable” cameras differently in terms of requirements, including IQ, ergonomics, etc).

I tried a few Nikon cameras – and ergonomically they never felt as ‘right’ for me as their Canon counterparts. In addition, I prefer Canon’s colours, AND definitely Canon’s lens selection.

I believe the 7DmkII will be a well-selling camera. (if there ever will be ‘such a beast’ – and indications are – that yes, there will be one, and hopefully we’ll know later this month!)

My take on it (based on the current market, recent DSLR trends – and the history of the 7D) – is that the 7DmkII will likely not sell in huge quantities in the ‘short term’ (ie not like quantities that the entry level DSLRs sell in). However, with a rich feature set, adequate IQ, great functionality and good durability, an ergonomically friendly top of the line Canon APS-C camera will sell well for many years.

The 7D’s grip, and all other ergonomics are so good for my hand / use. I love using it. Having said that, I do hope that the 7DmkII will also feature a great implementation of touch screen technology (and hopefully a sturdy swivel screen – with DPAF, hopefully trickling ‘up’ from the 70D).

Let’s see. Days are counting down!!

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
With all the hype on the forum about the 7D2, the question is asked.... "Are you going to get one"?

Who is serious about the camera and who is just kicking tires or wondering about Canon's possible plans for the future?

I won't bother to upgrade unless the high ISO/high noise issue is addressed. I currently shoot both the 5D3 and 7D, and occasionally shoot the Nikon D610 and D7100. The D7100's noise profile is better at ISO1600 than the 7D's (but I hate the D7100 for sports and wildlife shooting). And, of course, both FF bodies I shoot (5D3 and D610) are much better at high ISO- by at least a full stop - than the 7D.

If the 7D2 is just a 70D in an all-metal body, I may opt for the 70D instead.

Upvote 0
pj1974 said:
Don Haines said:
Ruined said:
Don Haines said:

+1 Ergonomics are indeed very important. My initial Canon DSLR didn’t have the best grip –other ergonomics were ‘ok’, but over time Canon have got better, and particularly when I upgraded to the 7D, that camera was (and is) just the right size / DSLR form for me. (I categorise “pocketable” cameras differently in terms of requirements, including IQ, ergonomics, etc).

I tried a few Nikon cameras – and ergonomically they never felt as ‘right’ for me as their Canon counterparts. In addition, I prefer Canon’s colours, AND definitely Canon’s lens selection.

I believe the 7DmkII will be a well-selling camera. (if there ever will be ‘such a beast’ – and indications are – that yes, there will be one, and hopefully we’ll know later this month!)

My take on it (based on the current market, recent DSLR trends – and the history of the 7D) – is that the 7DmkII will likely not sell in huge quantities in the ‘short term’ (ie not like quantities that the entry level DSLRs sell in). However, with a rich feature set, adequate IQ, great functionality and good durability, an ergonomically friendly top of the line Canon APS-C camera will sell well for many years.

The 7D’s grip, and all other ergonomics are so good for my hand / use. I love using it. Having said that, I do hope that the 7DmkII will also feature a great implementation of touch screen technology (and hopefully a sturdy swivel screen – with DPAF, hopefully trickling ‘up’ from the 70D).

Let’s see. Days are counting down!!

Yeah, that is right. The correct answer for me would have been:
Yes, if it is reviewed favourably, it feels good in the hand and the price is not too high ;)
Always a combination, you don't wanna use a good camera that feels like shit in your hands, but you also don't wanna use a bad camera that feels like it is made for your hands... ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I buy cameras after handling them, but I also wait until some reviews give me more information about the camera's strong points and weak points, so I can see for myself at the local camera store. If my local camera store carries a camera, I will buy it there rather than at B and H. I use mail order companies for "esoteric" lenses, sizes or brands not carried locally, etc. Buying locally involves sales tax, but I know I am supposed to add up out-of-state purchases for my state tax return (at least for big-ticket items), so I would be paying some tax in either event. The local store carries used lenses and cameras, rents a few lenses, has common staple items (lens caps, wired releases, etc) available "instantly", and supports the local camera clubs, so I want to keep the local store alive.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
NancyP said:
I buy cameras after handling them, but I also wait until some reviews give me more information about the camera's strong points and weak points, so I can see for myself at the local camera store. If my local camera store carries a camera, I will buy it there rather than at B and H. I use mail order companies for "esoteric" lenses, sizes or brands not carried locally, etc. Buying locally involves sales tax, but I know I am supposed to add up out-of-state purchases for my state tax return (at least for big-ticket items), so I would be paying some tax in either event. The local store carries used lenses and cameras, rents a few lenses, has common staple items (lens caps, wired releases, etc) available "instantly", and supports the local camera clubs, so I want to keep the local store alive.
My plan is to pre-order one from my local store. When it arrives, play with it.... and unless really disappointed, buy it. It is important to support your local store or you will end up with mail order and big box stores.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
Don Haines said:
NancyP said:
My plan is to pre-order one from my local store. When it arrives, play with it.... and unless really disappointed, buy it. It is important to support your local store or you will end up with mail order and big box stores.

I hear y'all, but my local store sells off brand lens calls for ten times as much as I can get online. And their backdrops are maybe five times. I'm ask in favor of having a good local option, but it feels like my local store is trying to rip me off more than to be a service to me.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I'm ask in favor of having a good local option, but it feels like my local store is trying to rip me off more than to be a service to me.

Items low in material value, that require the same effort(and cost) in handling/paperwork/stockkeeping as expensive stuff. Low turnover for items that take up space doesn't help either. For inexpensive stuff thats a nasty percentile price penalty.

OTOH local stores having for example B1s in stock is convenient, and if you're good at negotiating you might get the small stuff mentioned as complimentary :)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
I try to order extra lens caps and body caps from B and H, to have some on hand, but if you don't have one on hand, an overpriced lens cap is better than no lens cap.

I have bought several good used lenses from my local dealer, including my Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, a lens that I was not planning to buy, but I walked in the store to buy the 6D and Tamron 24-70, saw the lovely 21, and said to myself, skip the zoom for now, make do with the Nikkor AIS and M42 mount legacy primes for a while, and enjoy the lovely 21.

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
Don Haines said:

I will buy the 7D2 only if it has better usable iso than the 70D. I will get this information only once one of the review sites I trust tests the camera. Playing with it in a store won't allow me to get this information. If the noise at iso 1600 isn't better than the 70D then I will probably get a 70D instead. Why should this be disturbing to you?

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
I love my 7D, some of the images that come out of it are amazing (both video and stills).

Now, I was asked to be a photographer at a couple weddings this year by a friend of mine, I asked my friend to lend me his 5DIII, but he said that he was using it at another event and he wanted to me to use my 7D instead. Again, some of the images were amazing, I'm just disappointed in the AF and the keeper rate of the 7D, which looks to be greatly improved in the 7DII.

I've also played around with a 70D, its touch screen, DPAF and video are unparalleled. Of course, some of the strengths of the 70D are not available in the 7DII, if the rumored specs happens to be true.

I'm going to wait and see... Given the current specs, I can't warrant a purchase of the 7DII unless it is greatly improved (especially in terms of video). Then again, I don't mind waiting till Sept. 2015, when a 7D-C may be announced?

Upvote 0