• No, unless it exceeds what is expected

Votes: 47 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 54 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 12, 2011
From a video perspective --

Nope, not unless it exceeds the rumored video specs and comes with some massive video improvements that include

A) 4K internal video recording or
B) native 1080p RAW recording or
C) something I haven't thought of but which would make a killer video feature (no, not dual-pixel autofocus because we filmmakers tend to manually focus everything)

Here's hoping that Canon will surprise and I'll have to empty my pockets! :)

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Also see a lot of folks discussing focusing issues with 7D. I can't say I've noticed any more or less problems there myself. Granted it doesn't have the nuclear powered laser guided focus of a 1DX, but nothing else does. What is the general problem with it? Is it tracking action in Servo? Stills? Portraiture? I've shot college football games with that and the 70-200 IS MkII and the 2.0 Extender MkII. It's not perfect but it's far from what I'd consider problematic.

I had a few problems with the 7D AF system. The most annoying was that Servo mode tended to "bounce" when I used it on stationary subjects so I would have to constantly switch between Servo and One Shot while shooting birds. Of course, that meant losing a lot of good shots. The other was inconsistent Servo tracking of moving subjects. When I bought my 1DIV it was like a breath of fresh air. I set that bad boy to Servo on day one and never looked back. One good thing I'll say about the 7D AF system is the precision center point is pretty cool. I do fight with the 1DIV AF when the object I want to focus on is about the size of the center square or smaller like, say, a small bird's head in brush.

Upvote 0
Steve said:
PureClassA said:
I had a few problems with the 7D AF system. The most annoying was that Servo mode tended to "bounce" when I used it on stationary subjects so I would have to constantly switch between Servo and One Shot while shooting birds. Of course, that meant losing a lot of good shots.

Wonder if you know about the ability to assign switching between ONE SHOT and AI SERVO by pushing the 'depth of field' button on your camera...?! That is a very convenient way to use the AF on the 7d and I always wonder why this has never beEn applied to the 1d series (well until the 1d markiii at least, cause that's where I am at the moment...)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Who knows? If anything I'll wait until the thing is actually available and decided then. Have noticed though that
Canon is pretty proud of it's cameras, and for me it had better be a price performer, not only against the current
7D but against some of the new Sony and Fuji offerings. Crop sensor isn't a problem, but if it's priced mid-way
between the 6D and the 5DmkII, I'd have to consider either of those before jumping. If Canon comes in at the
$1300-$1500 price point, a 70D starts looking pretty good, especially since the price of the 70D should fall a bit
with the new "advanced" 7DMkII.

Upvote 0
Shootitalready said:
Wonder if you know about the ability to assign switching between ONE SHOT and AI SERVO by pushing the 'depth of field' button on your camera...?! That is a very convenient way to use the AF on the 7d and I always wonder why this has never beEn applied to the 1d series (well until the 1d markiii at least, cause that's where I am at the moment...)

I didn't know that but I'll try to keep it in mind if I ever end up with another 7D. I would imagine that its not on the 1-series because the 45 point AF system is rock solid in servo mode, for static or moving subjects.

dickgrafixstop said:
Crop sensor isn't a problem, but if it's priced mid-way
between the 6D and the 5DmkII, I'd have to consider either of those before jumping. If Canon comes in at the
$1300-$1500 price point, a 70D starts looking pretty good, especially since the price of the 70D should fall a bit
with the new "advanced" 7DMkII.

The original 7D was $1700 msrp at launch - with inflation and Canon Shareholder Tax, I'd place a pretty decent sized wager that the intro price will be just north of $2k USD

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I'm looking forward to seeing what features it'll have and how well it performs in various metrics.
If it really rocks, I'll consider adding one to my quiver, especially if it still uses the same battery.
The only lens I need it for is my 100-400L

- It must have greatly reduced read noise, even lower than the 70D and definitely no visible banding patterns when pushed 4 stops from low ISO raw.
- AF must be equivalent or better then 7D
- ergonomics must be excellent, I've suffered enough finger cramp on capable but uncomfortable bodies from Fuji and some others lately.
- price must be reasonable, IMO, that means I should be able to snag it within a year for $1500 or less.

Upvote 0
I am searching for a "all terrain" camera with high IQ to shoot
- macro
- landscape
- action
and to shoot some video footage. I would like to be flexible with not too many bodies in my backpack - exactly two very flexible bodies and 3 or 4 lenses is my dream.

Most important: Good functional ergonomics - I hate EOS M and 600D in this discipline but like the 40D. Today I combine 40D for good AF and excellent controls but 600D for its movie capabilities.

A 7D might be interesting if it combines good IQ with excellent functional ergonomics and very reliable AF for fast moving objects/subjects.
A killer feature would be a combined EVF/mirror system which combines the best of both worlds: Fast optical viewfinder and a informative EVF with support for video.

Upvote 0

TrabimanUK

In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
Sep 19, 2013
Bristol, England
I won't be buying one for a while, as I don't need a camera with that good a spec at the moment. I did need one for a safari, but it's not available for that, so it'll be a couple of years before I seriuosly look to get one. I was rather hoping for 24MP and better low-light ISO performance, not just another stop or two of fuzziness - maybe the "new" sensor wil deliver the latter.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
With all the hype on the forum about the 7D2, the question is asked.... "Are you going to get one"?
Lets first see what we get eventually. :)

Depends on the little details that don't make nice bullets on the feature list.
From the actual sync speed over processing lattitude to clean HDMI out and not super softening processing.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Don Haines said:
With all the hype on the forum about the 7D2, the question is asked.... "Are you going to get one"?

Who is serious about the camera and who is just kicking tires or wondering about Canon's possible plans for the future?

If this latest rumored spec list will be correct, I'll probably upgrade. This looks like a decent crop camera for wildlife shooters like me. In particular every birder will love AF @ f/8 (hopefully even smaller apertures), so one can use superteles with TCs. The crucial point for me personally will be a really improved noise performance (RAW, NR switched off), plus a more reliable AF. Since I have my 5D3, I use it 90 % for tele shooting, because it overall performs so much better than my 7D. But I'd really love to have a good crop DLSR. My decision will depend on the price of the 7D2, of course.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
dolina said:
Made a reservation to get the first copy that'll land and already have a buyer for my 7D.

Used 7Ds are selling quite well, but I think I'll convert mine to infrared photography (IR filter to be removed). I always wanted to explore this special world of photography by myself.

Upvote 0