Are you really serious about 6D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chuck Alaimo said:
Different strokes I guess, also, everyone looking at these bodies has their own needs to fill. For me, I have a mk3 so this would be a backup body. Yeah, the price difference isn't that huge (in the sticker at least, it's closer to $1200 difference after tax though). To me, that is the cost of a 135 f2L. If your on a mk2 looking to upgrade though, then yeah the 6d may not be as big of a leap as you want. But if your on a 60D, then just the FF sensor alone is reason to buy! Different strokes!

And if you're an a 50d? That's what I am and I feel that the 6d would be a downgrade in several ways:
  • Maximum shutter speed
  • Flash sync speed
  • AF-Point distribution across the viewfinder
  • Ergonomics (the joystick is missing, so I cannot switch AF points easily)
  • Burst rate
  • SD instead of CF cards

That's why I am still not sure how my "way to FF" should look like. If the 6d specs were similiar to those of the Nikon d600 I think my decision would be clear. But now I think I will go 5dMk2 (which is still much cheaper than 6d when bought used), so Canon won't be seeing any of my money.
In fact, IMO already the 60d was a downgrade from the great 50d in several ways (worse ergonomics + missing AFMA coming into my mind).

Upvote 0
panicboy said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
Different strokes I guess, also, everyone looking at these bodies has their own needs to fill. For me, I have a mk3 so this would be a backup body. Yeah, the price difference isn't that huge (in the sticker at least, it's closer to $1200 difference after tax though). To me, that is the cost of a 135 f2L. If your on a mk2 looking to upgrade though, then yeah the 6d may not be as big of a leap as you want. But if your on a 60D, then just the FF sensor alone is reason to buy! Different strokes!

And if you're an a 50d? That's what I am and I feel that the 6d would be a downgrade in several ways:
  • Maximum shutter speed
  • Flash sync speed
  • Burst rate
  • SD instead of CF cards

That's why I am still not sure how my "way to FF" should look like. If the 6d specs were similiar to those of the Nikon d600 I think my decision would be clear. But now I think I will go 5dMk2 (which is still much cheaper than 6d when bought used), so Canon won't be seeing any of my money.
In fact, IMO already the 60d was a downgrade from the great 50d in several ways (worse ergonomics + missing AFMA coming into my mind).

the d600isn't really that much better, at least according to the list you give --

• Maximum shutter speed - 1/4000 on both d600 and 6d
  • Flash sync speed - 1/180 on 6d, 1/200 on d600, not a huge difference
  • AF-Point distribution across the viewfinder---- see links

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dojoklo/8001132878/#sizes/m/in/photostream/ - 6d
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dojoklo/8000274878/#sizes/m/in/photostream/ - d600

more points but they cover the same area - the d600 does have more cross points though

I can't make any statements to how the 6d feels. But, if you are used to canon nikon will feel foreign and backwards to you. And at least for me, on both my 7d and the mk3, i usel the wheel and dial as opposed tothe joystick anyway...
  • Burst rate the 6d is a little slower, but unless your shooting fast moving stuff like sports its not an issue. I am guessing this is the case because you worry about the flash sync speed, and if your using off cam flash then you don't want to be on high speed anyways
  • SD instead of CF cards I'll give you that, i'd rather have CF cards, but, SD is cheap so there is that!

From the sound of your list, your upgrade path seems to be a step up from either of these bodies. The mk3 would cover your list of worries and then some! And so would the d800 if your not too invested in glass. And if money is the issue either of those bodies won't fit the budget, then its a matter of compromise. I still contend that anyone on a XXD (sorry, i only said 60d because its the latest XXD series body) body would be blown away by the capabilities of any FF sensor (I would bet a 5d2 would would blow your mind too!)

I agree with you on the downgrade re: 50d to 60d. Remember though, when the 50D came out there was no 7d. Many of the goodies from the 50d went to the 7d, leaving the 60d to be more of a consumer body.

Last thing to say - "But now I think I will go 5dMk2 (which is still much cheaper than 6d when bought used), so Canon won't be seeing any of my money." Part of me says go for it, the 5d2 is a great camera! Then I see that other part, the Canon won't be seeing any of my money" - get real man! Used or new, if you hate canon that much then go switch - I am so sure nikon is so much more benevolent. Remember, even used you ae supporting them (hell, thats one of the reasons they make high quality bodies, even a used sale gets you into the family as it were, now come see our lenses and flashes!). Yeah, sigma and tamron make a couple good things, but there will always be a few you end up coming back home for. Used, yup, someone down the line bought it new. and that someone is most likely upgrading. Lets say you snag that mk2, but the person selling it was waiting for that to sell to buy a 1dx. You just helped them give money to canon. And then theres the viral effect, whenever you shoot people will see that your using a canon. If your images rock they will say, wow, i want what he has, a canon!

So if you really have that much of a bug up your but against canon, then buying one even used is still supporting them! Good luck making your decision!

Upvote 0
panicboy said:
Chuck Alaimo said:

• Maximum shutter speed
  • Flash sync speed
  • Burst rate
  • SD instead of CF cards

I guess it all depends on the user if he deemed it's not an upgrade or not. 5D mark III is always there for you. It's a lot better than 6D or D600 or 5D2. For me, the controls and specs afforded by 6D is enough. What matters to more is the IQ and low-light performance. I know I want the 5D3 but I can't afford it. I think you'll find 5D2 a very good upgrade from your 50D IQ wise. Have fun shooting.

Upvote 0
Nitoruu said:
The new 6D is NOT a bad camera. yes there is only 1 cross type, 97% view finder, and a burst rate of 4.5. BUT there are good things to it too. It has a better ISO performance than the mk3, better focusing than the mk2, it's lighter, etc. I don't have a problem with the one cross type because I mostly use the center focus point anyways. As I continued to shoot, I believe that burst rate doesn't mean a lot. To me it just means more useless shots that you have. Some may disagree and I'm fine with that, it's just my opinion. Many people also don't mind the 1 cross type because they also just shoot with the center AF.

I do agree what other people say. About how others might want to upgrade to a full-frame body. I personally want to and I was deciding on the mk2 or 6D. I want a 6D because it has a better focusing system and better ISO. If you don't like the 6D, okay that's fine. But it is no reason to bash on Canon for their new camera. Just move on and continue to do what you would like to do or what almost EVERYONE on this forum likes to do, take photos.

Looking on the bright sides, the 6D is a good camera. It's a full frame, it takes good photos, and it's affordable for people on a budget.

Well said!

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
The 6D or the 5DMKII will be a massive upgrade IQ wise over the 50D. The 50D was made for the megapixel race it was the same technology as the 40D but with a third more pixels. Therefore its noise performance was worse than the 40D it replaced.

If you are serious the 5DMKIII is the way to go. Mine arrived the other day and it is brilliant.

Upvote 0
poias said:
Please help me understand why people are excited about 6D? I cannot be excited about 97% VF, 1 x-pt AF, crippled 6D with wifi and facebook buttons. I will stick to a 5-year-old beloved 5D Mark II which is identical in IQ to Canon's newest sensors. Canon, you are not getting a dime of my money on your recent cameras. I have diversified my lenses so am not hostage to inferior sensors anymore.

I'm upgrading from an XTi to a 6D. Pretty excited about the upgrade in image quality. As an enthusiast, I'll use it mostly for travel. The image quality is better than the 5D Mark II. I use the center AF only, keyed to a button, and think a billion AF points is the dumbest thing ever. It's not like I am going to be shooting birds in flight or sports. I sometimes go to pretty remote places while traveling (e.g. safari), so GPS is going to be really nice.

Oh, and at $1700 (in a few months), it's a lot cheaper than anything else out there! I do wish for a better VF, but you can't get everything...

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
tomscott said:
Hate to admit it, but I agree.

The 6D could have been so much better and appealed to a much larger audience without the cost being too much more and without compromising on the 5D, with a real hybrid between a XXXD, XXD & 7D with a full frame sensor

If you are looking for a longer term investment a 6D just isnt one to get in my mind.

I didnt expect the 6D to have poor IQ, and it has proven itself, it appears to be fantastic. But if you are an amateur used to the 9 point system the 11 point isnt a massive upgrade apart from one point, even the 650Ds are all cross point, but it will feel similar... not sure i like the idea of that price and the camera AF feeling similar. But I wouldn't buy a 2k camera that really doesn't improve much apart from IQ it needs to be across the board, a camera consists of more than just a good sensor. IQ means nothing if only one point is worth using.

What happens if you want some nice primes like a 50mm 1.2? taking full advantage of that IQ? focusing with the single point and recomposing at this fine DOF will return poor focus and as the other 10 are pretty much useless.... makes the IQ worthless, unless you plan on manual focusing most of the time. How often is your subject bang in the centre?

It has a few cool quirks with the Wi-fi & GPS. But really if everyone were to be honest it could have been better, it has clearly been detuned so not so step on the toes of the 5D MKIII but people who buy that camera are in a different market in my opinion. The D600 although also having its quirks, is a better option if your an amateur without too much invested.

I make money with my camera and buy what i need. If i was an amateur then I would feel even worse! It is an improvement over the 5D MKII but not 4 years worth of improvement. With the 5D MKIII not much more it doesn't make any sense in my mind to buy a 6D. £2k for a 5D MKIII or £1600 for the 6D? I bought a 5D.

I disagree on a few levels. Looking at al lthe bells and whistles on the mk3, and seeing the reaction to the price (many saying it should be $2500), where does that leave any room for improving the 6d?

Center point only, yeah it seems like a step back, but, looking at all the amazing images the 5d2 has cranked out over the lifetime of the cam center point may do just fine! Many claimed the 5d2 was only really usable to ISO 3200, and would push it to 6400 in a pinch if it was the only way to get the shot. It seems that the 6d is following the 5d3 in ISO, so ISO 6400 -12800 being usable is a huge upgrade!

+1

Upvote 0
Zlatko said:
This thread tracks the usual dissatisfactions:
1) Why would anyone be interested in a camera that I'm not interested in?
2) If a camera doesn't meet my personal needs, then it is a "crippled" camera.
3) Whatever features a camera has, it should have had some feature(s) of the next more expensive model, but without the added cost.
4) If a camera has features I don't need, but can easily be turned off or ignored, I must still complain as if they can't possibly be useful to anyone.
5) If they don't offer the specific camera that I want at this moment, within my present budget, then the company is headed in the wrong direction.
6) If DxO thinks my brand's sensor is inferior, then it must be inferior and I must complain about it and/or switch brands.
;)

LOL

Upvote 0
If you can't take a good picture with a 6D (or any other DSLR) because of the limitations of your "sensor" or the "lack of cross-type AF points", you're seriously kidding yourself. My wife takes great pictures with her iPhone.

If you see no value in the product, then it's not for you. That doesn't mean it's not the right product for others. I seriously considered the 6D before I purchased my 5D markIII. After some research, I decided I wanted the 5D instead and that I would probably get a 6D for a backup body eventually. Or maybe a 6D mark II in a few years

Side Note: So what if the D600 is cheaper. I'm sure it has it's own issues. I bought into the Canon system MAINLY because I could share glass with my photo buddies. If I bought the D600 and all the Nikon equivalents to all my Canon glass, that would be WAAAAAAAAY more expensive.

Upvote 0
The big advantage that the 6D has for me is size and weight. I have a 1Ds3 and an OMD currently. The 1Ds is very heavy as a walkaround, travel camera, and the OMD doesn't have the range of lenses. The 6D will allow me to take a few primes, including the 17TSE on my travels. In fact, I'm toying with the idea of just taking a 6D and the 17TSE along with the OMD and the 25 f1.4 and 45. This would cover most of my travel needs. So, I plan on getting a 6D in the next 2 or so months.

Upvote 0
My 6D arrived few days ago.. and I can say.. WOW!
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3:

6D focuses with more accuracy than my 1Dsmk3 body and 40D, I did many test shots.. using 2 lenses: 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L at day and night, no external flash, just using one shot mode and center point focus, only!
here we go..

day

6D 93%
40D 68%
1DS mk3 90%

night

6D 94% + accurate focus, dead on!
40D 2% + focus hunting
1Ds mk3 12% + focus hunting

Chuck Westfall from Canon USA says:
The 6D is 95% improved over the 5D II, specially in the center point AF down to -3EV, and, it refreshingly gets the shortest Canon DSLR name we've seen in many years - one confirming a new model line. He emphasized that Canon's goal for the EOS 6D was cleaner pixel-level image quality. "From what I'm seeing, they were quite successful. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200."

Bryan from the-digital-picture says:
I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until auto exposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20). The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted. Note that the 6D focuses very slowly under these dismal lighting conditions - but locking slowly is far better than failing to lock.

My conclusion is.. the Canon 6D is one of the best cameras ever made by Canon.. why?

1- phenomenal center point AF system, down to -3EV, just awesome!
2- very low noise in high ISO, best from any Canon camera to date
3- full frame in a lightweight body
4- low power consumption from a SDHC (and affordable) card
5- silent shooting mode
6- white balance is outstanding.. the color tone BLOWS AWAY from my 1Ds mk3 and 40D
7- first camera with wi-fi and gps built in..
8- made with plastic?.. oh yeah! (but don't forget, just the top of the camera uses plastic, for the gps and wi-fi reception signal).. The Canon 6D uses a ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and polycarbonate mixed.. "Polycarbonate / ABS is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating" by Wikipedia
9- ouch!! :eek:

Upvote 0
hemidesign said:
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3:

6D focuses with more accuracy than my 1Dsmk3 body and 40D, I did many test shots.. using 2 lenses: 35mm f1.4L and 135mm f2L at day and night, no external flash, just using one shot mode and center point focus, only!
here we go..

day

6D 93%
40D 68%
1DS mk3 90%

night

6D 94% + accurate focus, dead on!
40D 2% + focus hunting
1Ds mk3 12% + focus hunting

Chuck Westfall from Canon USA says:
The 6D is 95% improved over the 5D II, specially in the center point AF down to -3EV, and, it refreshingly gets the shortest Canon DSLR name we've seen in many years - one confirming a new model line. He emphasized that Canon's goal for the EOS 6D was cleaner pixel-level image quality. "From what I'm seeing, they were quite successful. The 6D advantage builds as the ISO setting increases. The difference becomes rather easy to see at ISO 3200 and the 6D's lead continues building until it leaves the 5D II in the dust at ISO 51200."

Bryan from the-digital-picture says:
I can focus the 6D's center point on a subject with reasonable contrast down until auto exposure gives me a setting of 160 at 10 seconds and f/2.8 (really dark) with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens mounted (note that the 6D's metering range spec is listed at EV 1-20). The Canon EOS 1D X's center point could not focus on the same subject with the same lens mounted. Note that the 6D focuses very slowly under these dismal lighting conditions - but locking slowly is far better than failing to lock.

My conclusion is.. the Canon 6D is one of the best cameras ever made by Canon.. why?

1- phenomenal center point AF system, down to -3EV, just awesome!
2- very low noise in high ISO, best from any Canon camera to date
3- full frame in a lightweight body
4- low power consumption from a SDHC (and affordable) card
5- silent shooting mode
6- white balance is outstanding.. the color tone BLOWS AWAY from my 1Ds mk3 and 40D
7- first camera with wi-fi and gps built in..
8- made with plastic?.. oh yeah!.. The Canon 6D uses a ABS (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) and polycarbonate mixed.. "Polycarbonate / ABS is a durable material. Although it has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating" by Wikipedia
9- ouch!! :eek:

I couldn't agree more with you. I also bought a 6D and it is amazing. The IQ is very impressive.

This is a link to a picture of the 6D body. It was built solid.

http://www.engadget.com/gallery/canon-eos-6d-hands-on/5290674/

Upvote 0
hemidesign said:
comparing my 6D with my old 40D and 1DS mk3

You cannot be serious about comparing to 10 year old cameras! That was precisely my point -- Canon fans (voluntary or those stuck) are getting hosed by the company , thus they are ecstatic about improvements like 1-point improved focus... hence my OT: are you really serious about 6D?

The only people who logically can get 6D are those Canon Crop users who have tons of pro/FF L glasses but cannot afford a 5D3. If you are upgrading to FF from Canon and are not beaming with L glasses already, the logical route is to jump to a BETTER brand anyway.

Upvote 0
poias said:
hemidesign said:

You cannot be serious about comparing to 10 year old cameras! That was precisely my point -- Canon fans (voluntary or those stuck) are getting hosed by the company , thus they are ecstatic about improvements like 1-point improved focus... hence my OT: are you really serious about 6D?

The only people who logically can get 6D are those Canon Crop users who have tons of pro/FF L glasses but cannot afford a 5D3. If you are upgrading to FF from Canon and are not beaming with L glasses already, the logical route is to jump to a BETTER brand anyway.

I have a number you can call to present your thread topic over the phone. Got a pen and paper? Ok, here goes:

1-800-SOMEONE-WHO-GIVES-A-CRAP

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
poias said:
hemidesign said:

I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had to return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. I am not sure what is your point.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
webphoto said:
bdunbar79 said:
poias said:
I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. i am not sure what is your point.

The point is to be a troll, which poias clearly is. It's fun to feed them for a while, but soon becomes boring.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
There's many reasons why I shouldn't buy 6D.

I'm sure there's many reason why some other people should buy 6D.

Telling people they shouldn't buy 6D, is like telling BicMac sucks because QB has better meat/price -ratio. Someone might have reasons to choose different than other people, and that's fine.

That said, I think anyone planning to buy 6D should do detailed comparison between 7D, 6D, 5D2 and 5D3. Any of those is a great camera for someone, depending on their needs. If 6D comes out winner, buy one. For me 6D is not a good choice.

Upvote 0
Received my 6D this week, and I am quite happy with it... Major upgrade from my 550D... Took it to a pro-photographer friends house - he shoots a 5DII, and after putting 150 shots on my camera, he was pretty impressed at the IQ and ISO performance.... he had mixed feeling on the autofocus speed, but that could have been a result of using the 24-105 in the evening hours.

Anyway, with a battery grip, it feels quite natural in the hands, and the rest of the features work pretty well for me..... Am I serious about it - yup, I paid the money to get it.

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

neuroanatomist said:
webphoto said:
bdunbar79 said:
poias said:
I am not sure what do you mean by "BETTER brand". I hope you are not saying Nikon because I had return my D600 due to dust/oil on the sensor. I bought a 6D and it is amazing. i am not sure what is your point.

The point is to be a troll, which poias clearly is. It's fun to feed them for a while, but soon becomes boring.
You could be right here. But it could also be a cry for help. :p

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
webphoto said:
bdunbar79 said:
poias said:

I agree.. will become boring and might be kicked one day... just saying....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.