Argus 1.8 Billion Pixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the "I'm glad I'm too old to look forward to this kind of world" department:

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/nova_the_next_generation_of_drone_surveillance_20130126/

The fear mongers of our world are developing a surveillance camera for drones they are calling the "Wide Area Persistent Stare" that can watch and record everything that happens in a small city.

"This is done by stitching together streams captured by a curved mosaic of 368 lens chips into one fluid video. Standing at a monitor, an operator can zoom in on specific areas anywhere within the image, opening up to 65 windows that contain magnified views while maintaining the larger context.

"From an altitude of 17,500 feet, Argus can see an object 6 inches off the ground, and automatically identifies everything that moves. Its recordings can be stored at a capacity equivalent to 5,000 hours of high-definition footage and are instantly retrievable at every level of magnification."

I'll bet when this comes about someone makes a small fortune selling hats with big mirrors on top.

Recently, I found out how much we are already being watched. A man killed a woman inside her house in Philadelphia. Cops gathered all the records from all video "security" cameras in the neighborhood. They zeroed in on one man they saw on the street, did some enhancement on his face and compared that image to the state driver license records to identify him. He confessed after 10 or so hours of persistent interrogation. Glad they caught him, but that kind of power scares me just as much as any criminal does.

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Apropos, or malapropos... Has anyone tried the Giga-pan Pro! Looks cool. There was a rulling in Norway that (the photo was of a footbal match) that you cannot post these pictures (with people in them). This because the immense amount of MP that a person sitting on the far end of the field can be zoomed in on, thus being characterized as a portrait and illegal to post on the web without explicit permission.

Issues of privacy are both important and pertinent with the rapid increase of image technology, imho.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
Don Haines said:
Quasimodo said:
Did you guys happen to see that Sports Illustrated Giga Pan picture from the Superbowl?

Scary...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130204/super-bowl-xlvii-gigapan/#
I think that there ar about 50,000 release forms that need to be filled out, like the lady with the purple hair who was picking her nose....

LOL, and as I pointed out in the earlier entry here, in Norway this type of picture was actually stopped by the government. I think it raises important privacy issues. I would have liked to have a Giga Pro Pan, but for landscape.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.