As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon’s 2019 roadmap is not yet clear for us on the camera side of things, but the lens side of things seems to be coming into focus (I see what I did there).
Canon has said themselves that no new EF lenses would be coming in 2019, but we do expect at least one EF-M lens and a few new RF lenses. Canon mentioned at the EOS R announcement that they’re working a series of f/2.8 zoom lenses, which is likely the “holy trinity”.
We’re told that we can expect up to 7 new RF lenses being announced in 2019, though a few may not begin shipping until early 2020.
Rumoured RF lenses for 2019:

RF 16-35mm f/2.8L (or similar)
RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS (or similar)
RF 105mm f/1.4L
RF 85mm f/1.8 IS STM
RF Macro lens
RF non-L kit lens

A wide-angle prime lens is also currently in development, but this source did say that it wasn’t part of the 2019 roadmap, but that can always change when it comes to lenses.
A non-L kit lens for the EOS R is likely in the pipeline...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 25, 2011
If Mirrorless is going to be a success, lenses are needed. I expect that Canon is going all in on mirrorless lenses this year. I also expect a professional level Mirrorless at some point. Hopefully, we will see a mix of L and consumer grade lenses, but I expect more high end lenses than consumer grade ones. There are so many that are wanted, besides the three we expect, perhaps a RF 100mm 2.5L Macro and maybe a RF 100-300mm f/4 L. I expect to see the wider apertures pop up just because Canon wants to provide a reason for people to buy them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All RF lenses, no EF lenses in 2019 sounds like a correct move for Canon. Right now, the EOS R is really only for Canon users with plenty of EF glass to adapt. No one outside of the Canon ecosystem is going to look at jumping into EOS R if they're after a mirrorless system. Getting the EOS R out last summer was certainly a good way to help prevent all the hemmoraging of customers over to Sony. But they need another two bodies (one entry level, one true professional model) and lots of glass, to bring the system around to where a new adopter would be happy without needing to go back to EF glass. Nikon is going to have the same thought process with the Z System.

And of course, low activity on EF or F mount cameras is likely to have existing customers feel, well, sort of like Sony's A-mount customers did while Sony was spending nearly all their time on E/FE-Mount stuff. It will be interesting how they negotiate the two systems, or really in Canon's case, four different EOS mounts.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
the DSLR is maybe not dead but it´s already 104 years old..... how long does it have?
I had one of the first DSLR's, from 1995. Which ones were there 104 years ago?

35mm SLR's came out around the 1960's, I still have a Canon FT. Medium format TLR's were in use before that, but DSLR's 104 years ago?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
RV0bJRs.jpg

human age..... time left... get it?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
the DSLR is maybe not dead but it´s already 104 years old..... how long does it have?
The DSLR has quite some time left...certainly more than you are implying.

For Jan-Oct 2018, 62% of all ILCs shipped were DSLRs. Compared to the same period in 2017, DSLR sales dropped ~10%...and MILC sales were completely flat, no increase at all in MILC shipments year-over-year. For those claiming that MILCs are a growth market, that’s a real facepalm.

pB43k.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

This is a question that isn't being asked by many photographers in the real world. Most use the gear they already have. We have to be careful that this forum doesn't become a canon mirror-
less niche /sect.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
bingo... how did you figure that out. :)

maybe because D stands for DIGITAL and around 1914 there was not much digital stuff around?

figure of speech and such stuff is unkown to some i guess.
Unintentional anachronisms are unacknowledged by some, I guess. :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0