As many as 7 new RF lenses coming in 2019 [CR2]

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This is a question that isn't being asked by many photographers in the real world. Most use the gear they already have. We have to be careful that this forum doesn't become a canon mirror-
less niche /sect.
So "we" are going to steer conversations away from talking about exciting mirrorless developments? Are "we" going to demand an end to CR threads (such as this one!) about RF lenses that might be coming? Or just a moratorium until "we" have made the transition "ourselves"? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As I am a 85 mm lens guy this one might be the one that could draw me into the R system, together with the RF 35 and a 5D4 successor in the R.

I tend to share your sentiments. This rumored 85, a nice UWA zoom (wider than 16mm), and a 40 would make a decent, light, and simple hobbyist kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Most of these lenses are duplicates/variations of EF lenses. Right now, Canon appears to be creating a parallel universe for its RF system. Signs point to Canon positioning itself for success regardless of which way the market ultimately goes. The big hole in the system, however, remains the lack of an adapter that will allow customers to use RF lenses on EF mount cameras. Absent that, it will be very hard to convert many users to the new system.

Upvote 0

RiceCanon

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
Great news on the lens side of the equation but I'm personally not going to jump into the R pool until Canon introduces a worthy mirrorless successor to the 5D Mark IV. I'm not buying anything on the DSLR side either so I'm totally holding back on Canon purchases at the moment. I feel like the floodgates will open in Canon's favor when they start selling pro-style mirrorless bodies.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I think Canon has been putting a lot of engineering manpower on the RF gear for longer than we think, so the release of lots of good lenses quite rapidly is no surprise. They made the decision to jump into FF MILC, and they are going to do it right.

I think the R body was rolled out so they have something in that market segment partly as a placeholder, partly to see the reaction. Plus for the vast majority of people, it is a great body, essentially a 6d3. The 5d and 1d bodies will be here in the next 1-2 years I suspect and they will be “mature” a lot faster than people think.

Having said that, DSLRs aren’t going away anytime soon. The EF lineup is already great, so it makes sense to put the effort into the future. Because at some point, R will supplant EF.

I’m holding off on any gear purchases until the body I really want, a 5dsr 2 equivalent, comes out. I’ll buy one, and use my EF glass until the R version of those lenses comes out. I’ll keep my dslrs for non landscape stuff like birding until the R bodies catch up.

I guess we’ll see how long all that takes, but I bet it’ll be a lot quicker than most think. So time to save up now lol....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
And of course, low activity on EF or F mount cameras is likely to have existing customers feel, well, sort of like Sony's A-mount customers did while Sony was spending nearly all their time on E/FE-Mount stuff. It will be interesting how they negotiate the two systems, or really in Canon's case, four different EOS mounts.

I'm sure a lot of A-mount customers would feel happier if the adapter situation had been similar to Canon/Nikon and if the E-mount bodies had actually been able to fully replace the A-mount bodies.

Yes, not much development will happen with EF or F mount equipment but moving over from EF to RF or F to Z once it makes sense looks to be a relatively painless experience.

Upvote 0
I had one of the first DSLR's, from 1995. Which ones were there 104 years ago?

35mm SLR's came out around the 1960's, I still have a Canon FT. Medium format TLR's were in use before that, but DSLR's 104 years ago?

digital cameras without mirrors have been around awhile too. my first digital camera was a Canon G1, ;-). And mirrorless cameras with interchangeable lenses have been around, especially in the video world for a long time. Folks got excited when Sony started taking some sales away from Canikon. (I am on my second Sony, shooting alongside my 5D4, when I need IBIS or discretion). I don't see any reason to buy a R or a Z (no Nikon glass). For me have to wait awhile and see where they go with this.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Sounds like a good lens lineup but some of those lenses and current ones would benefit massively for IBIS. Please Canon, make a competitive camera in 2019.

New BSI sensor
Full frame 4K with no catches
Dual Card Slots
IBIS
£2000

Sony can do it, Nikon can do it (minus dual cards) and Panasonic are about to do it.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Most of these lenses are duplicates/variations of EF lenses. Right now, Canon appears to be creating a parallel universe for its RF system. Signs point to Canon positioning itself for success regardless of which way the market ultimately goes. The big hole in the system, however, remains the lack of an adapter that will allow customers to use RF lenses on EF mount cameras. Absent that, it will be very hard to convert many users to the new system.

An adapter isn't possible from RF to EF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How would you do that?

Upvote 0
I think Canon has been putting a lot of engineering manpower on the RF gear for longer than we think, so the release of lots of good lenses quite rapidly is no surprise. They made the decision to jump into FF MILC, and they are going to do it right.

I think the R body was rolled out so they have something in that market segment partly as a placeholder, partly to see the reaction. Plus for the vast majority of people, it is a great body, essentially a 6d3. The 5d and 1d bodies will be here in the next 1-2 years I suspect and they will be “mature” a lot faster than people think.

Having said that, DSLRs aren’t going away anytime soon. The EF lineup is already great, so it makes sense to put the effort into the future. Because at some point, R will supplant EF.

I’m holding off on any gear purchases until the body I really want, a 5dsr 2 equivalent, comes out. I’ll buy one, and use my EF glass until the R version of those lenses comes out. I’ll keep my dslrs for non landscape stuff like birding until the R bodies catch up.

I guess we’ll see how long all that takes, but I bet it’ll be a lot quicker than most think. So time to save up now lol....
One of the problems with the R is the blackout (or actually freeze frame) when they pull the data off the sensor. The DSLR still seems to have an advantage here even something like the 5D series. It isn’t much of an issue for me but I don’t see how an action shooter would be happy with it.

I think this once again I think this harks back to Canon’s sensor implementation. To eliminate all benefits of the “mirror flipper” they need to find a way to move and process that data faster.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Why the 105 f/1.4? A 24 f/1.4 or 24 f/1.8 IS STM makes much more sense. The f/2.8 holy trinity is fine, but where is the 5D4 or 1Dx2 class camera that makes sense with those lenses?

Canon has an EF 24mm f/1.4L that can be adapter to EOS R. What Canon doesn't have is a 105mm f/1.4, which Nikon & Sigma do. It makes some sense to plug the holes first, and improve options later.

I guess Canon made some survey with pro photographers to prioritize between bread & butter lenses and hole plugging lenses.

Upvote 0