At least two new EOS M cameras coming in 2019 [CR2]

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de
as there’s no upgrade path for EF-M lenses to work on the new EOS R system
If that's the issue than its not an issue. Who would want to use an M lens on a R camera? Also you cannot put and EF-S lens on a FF camera for pure optical reasons.

I thought the issue is that you cannot use R lenses on an M Camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EOS-M is a nice little system. If they make the M5 II with the fully articulated LCD of the M50 I'll buy one. Big bonus if it includes IBIS!
All they need is to add a compact 15mm f/2 to the lens line up. I could be happy with the M5 II, 11-22 IS, 15mm f/2, 22mm f/2, and 32 mm f/1.4 for travel. Maybe also the 55-200 IS

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The M already has a strong audience as has been said repeatedly! It has brought Canon from zero to number one or two in mirrorless sales. You simply don’t seem to grasp that the majority of camera purchasers are not like you, or most on this forum. But they do pay for the development of our fancy enthusiast/prosumer gear that’s sold in much smaller numbers than the cute tiny consumer stuff.

Feel free to win me over to the M, I'm open to being educated. Canon has failed to accomplish this so far, especially so now that it's clear the strategy has splintered. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Feel free to win me over to the M, I'm open to being educated. Canon has failed to accomplish this so far, especially so now that it's clear the strategy has splintered. Maybe you'll have more luck.

You're still missing the whole point. Canon doesn't have to win you over, and neither do I.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Since 2005 I have owned a bunch of Canon DSLRs and have several EF and EF-S lenses, including some L glass.
Earlier this year I bought my first Canon mirrorless early this year - and now have 5 EF-M lenses. (Most bought 2nd hand)
They complement each other.

1) My DSLRs are used when I require fast, responsive photography, and/or with an ergonomically satisfying experience. My passion is nature photography (landscape, macro and wildlife) - and when I am out photographing these, my 80D and 7D do the job. I also photograph events (camps, birthday celebrations, special occasions, etc) using my DSLRs and EF / EF-S lenses.
2) I use my EOS M5 when I require a more compact, yet still capable photography system (e.g. casual hiking - to keep the size and weight down, or when out with my young daughter and already have a day bag quite full with food, clothing, etc).

The M5 in particular does a great job with its DPAF. It's relatively snappy (turning off post photo review gives a much speedier experience). The Samyang/Rokinon 12mm f/2 as an UWA and Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 work well as fast primes. Depending what I'm photographing, I will pull out my 15-45mm (sharp and wide end suitable for landscapes) - or the 18-150mm as an all round / travel lens (great IQ and very useful range). My M10 matched with the 22mm f/2 is particularly small yet still provides decent images and useful video.

Depending on the range, features and price that Canon is going to bring to the table with future R mount FF mirrorless cameras and lenses, I may be tempted to buy into that. I had not felt the need to buy FF DSLR till this point (because the size / weight of a decent FF DSLR with EF lenses offset what I could get from APS-C DSLRs, particularly with my EF-S lenses). If you can't get a great landscape photo with a APS-C DSLR and say the 10-18mm IS lens, or capture action with a telezoom like my 70-300mm (which provides fantastic reach on a APS-C) - then upgrading to a FF will likely not be your best next move.

If you can get good images from Canon's current APS-C DSLR, then you will most likely also be able to get close to matching that with the EOS M range of bodies and languages (in a smaller, lighter package, all bought with a decent price range).

So for the above reasons, I am keeping a ball in each court: DSLR, EOS M and EOS R. They definitely do complement each other. Horses for courses!

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014

Funny thing, but I thought Larsskv's thread on his new EF-M 32 f1.4 was a pretty compelling argument for considering the M system.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
The M-naysayers...I'm afraid will never be convinced. Even the CR staff(!):

"We believe that EOS M will be discontinued someday in the distant future, so don’t worry about the system going away any time soon."

What the heck does 'someday in the distant future' mean?

Could it also be said (correctly) that the EOS R will be discontinued someday in the distant future?!

Many (but not all) of the same people that drone on and on about the shortcomings of the M and its lenses also convinced themselves that Canon's FF mirrorless offering would feature (drum roll...) the EF-mount!

How'd that work out?! It seems to me that those folks were predicting with their hearts...and not their brains.

=====

The EOS M system is NOT designed for professional photographers.

But in the hands of a well-qualified amateur, any of the M's...when paired with most any of the EF-M native lenses...are very useful tools indeed--and in addition to being very vacation friendly size-and-weight wise, the bodies and lenses are offered at a very fair price.

Canon has a winner on their hands with the M. Here in the USA, it took awhile...but I predict strong M sales for the next couple of years (at least). Beyond that? I've a snarky answer to that one that I'll keep to myself...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
M is great for everyday carry and travel, 1DX2 for serious photography. The M gets more images annually since I picked up the M5. The M5 - 32mm f/1.4 combo may widen the gap.

Bought the original M in 6/13, M3 in 4/15, M5 in 12/16. M5 gets most use, M3 is backup. Carry both when hiking to eliminate lens changes - M5/tele and M3/wide. Original M resides at the office with the 18-55 and still get's some use.

I generally keep a pair of bodies and leapfrog the upgrades. Seems like good timing for an M3 upgrade and I'll have multiple choices. The M6 and M50 didn't tempt me.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
The main thing I'm not happy about the M5/M50 is the size of the green AF square, in that I can't make it small enough to make autofocus as precisely as I want.

yes. Although it has been markedly improved in EOS M50 compared to M5. Addition of Eye-AF in M50 has also mutigated the issue when capturing human subjects. For AF M50 has a clear lead over M5/M6.

Here is hoping that M5/M6 Mk. II will get a further improved DP-AF system, similar to the one in EOS R - with a lot more, smaller AF points and marking boxes precisely matching actual AF field.

5000+ AF points on FF would mean about 2000 on APS-C. That should allow for really "pinpoint accuracy green-frame" AF field markings across entire frame. :)

It woild also befit an even higher end "EOS M7" with a slightly bigger body than M5 (but still smaller than EOS R), with better battery, wheathersealing, and a DIGIC good for 10fps with full-bore tracking AF and AE = "mirrorfree 7D III". For tele lenses EF lineup is there, for small and light "non tele" focal lengths, EF-M and EF glass is available. Would be launched tomorrow if i were Canon CEO. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use my 5d3 for product photography and for events etc., but when I go for a walk with my wife each evening, I take my M5 with me to shoot birds and flowers etc.
I often use the EF-s 60mm macro, except for video where the continual focussing is very noisy and even an EF-s18-135 that usually resides on my 70D.
I'm really happy that I can use my old EF-s lenses as well as any of my L lenses on it, but I generally use any of my 4 M lenses as well as a Chinese fish-eye zoom.
I wouldn't want to use any of my M lenses on my 5d3, even if it were possible.

In fact, I'm really surprised that more 3rd party manufacturers don't make more lenses for M's. After all, they are the best selling small mirrorless out there, but I bet Canon has done something that Sigma et al. can't sypher yet in the lens communications side, but I hope they get it sorted soon.

If the M5 Mk2 has good specs, I'll buy one and give my M5 to my brother-in-law. He can buy his own lenses though. They're really very cheap for what they offer.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
But in the hands of a well-qualified amateur, any of the M's...when paired with most any of the EF-M native lenses...are very useful tools indeed--and in addition to being very vacation friendly size-and-weight wise, the bodies and lenses are offered at a very fair price.

that's it, in a nutshell!

exactly opposed to the naysayers' opinion Canon EF- M lens lineup is an asset for Canon, not a weakness. All EF-M lenses (except 15-45 for which improved update seems imminent) offer "best-in-class" IQ/size/weight/value ratio.

Sony E lens universe is a "mixed bag" for IQ at best. Fuji X means "pay FF prices for crop lenses". Despite more lenses, including fancy, fat and expensive f/1.2 clunkers and all sorts of manual focus third party chaff they are overall far less attractive to "normal-income-earning amateurs" as well as to hard-working pros looking for a small, light, inconspicuous second setup that serves as backup in a pinch.

Canon EF-M lineup " is 100% right on the money". Only Canon EOS M bodies were behind competetion for a long time. But Canon has been able to pretty much catch up with M5/M6 and is fully competitive with M50 - it clearly beats the competing Fuji x100t and matches Sony A6500 for stills - at less than half of the price.

When Canon brings further enhanced M5/M6 bodies, it will easily be the "overall best" mirrorfree system and a well deserved market share leader.

maybe without high-end 4k video specs. but, who cares? just get a dedicated video cam if you really need fully-blown hi-spec video capabilities!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
True, but I would wonder about the battery. I am in the camp hoping the 7DIII has a more powerful battery, which would influence the size.

yes. I could imagine an EOS "M7" with body size "halfway between" EOS M5 and EOS R as well as a new "LP-E7" battery with size and charge "halfway between" LP-E6N and LP-E17 ... say 10Whrs ... 7.2V x 1400mAh.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
yes. I could imagine an EOS "M7" with body size "halfway between" EOS M5 and EOS R as well as a new "LP-E7" battery with size and charge "halfway between" LP-E6N and LP-E17 ... say 10Whrs ... 7.2V x 1400mAh.

There could certainly be a body size between M5 and R, but I think next year is too soon. However, should that happen, it would be a lower numbered M... like an M3, since Canon is keeping to its D convention with the M series of smaller numbers being bigger/more powerful cameras. M1 would be the biggest and baddest M :D

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
There could certainly be a body size between M5 and R, but I think next year is too soon. However, should that happen, it would be a lower numbered M... like an M3, since Canon is keeping to its D convention with the M series of smaller numbers being bigger/more powerful cameras. M1 would be the biggest and baddest M :D

EOS M numbering is off. It has been more or less "chronological" for the single digit models. We had M, M2, M3, M5/M6 as "best specced models" in that sequence. Lower specced models were 2 digit or 3 digit for "entry level".

I would find "EOS M7" a very suitable moniker for a "mirrorfree 7D III" :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
EOS M numbering is off. It has been more or less "chronological" for the single digit models. We had M, M2, M3, M5/M6 as "best specced models" in that sequence. Lower specced models were 2 digit or 3 digit for "entry level".

I would find "EOS M7" a very suitable moniker for a "mirrorfree 7D III" :)

The M50 launch was a typical Canon launch: Take an existing "higher end" model, make it cheaper by replacing metal body part with plastic, but add really neat features like tilty-flippy screen and DPAF. And launch in right in the middle of the other models cycle. Like 7D vs 70D.
For me this works out fine, Canon does a release right around I get GAS, which makes me uncertain enough to wait a bit longer and the cycle repeats :) And the move from EOS to powershot firmware with the M3 also played a part, but it seems like the M50 either uses EOS firmware again or dropped the powershot GUI.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Most EOS M purchasers are new to Canon and most get no further than the bundled standard zoom lens. They are normally looking for something better than their cell phone but still only view the images either on cell phones or tablets. EOS R purchasers are more likely to be either existing Canon users or people whos main hobby is photography.
While Canon makes money out of the M line its here to stay. More likely over time the EF / EF-S line will disappear replaced by the RF and maybe an RF-S line of lenses and everything from budget to pro EOS R bodies. DSLRs will go the way of SLRs, the success of Sony R series cameras and the A9 have sealed that fate long term.

Upvote 0