At least two new EOS M cameras coming in 2019 [CR2]

I lived professionally (weddings, events, portraits, portfolios) off Digital Rebels (from 6 Mp to 18 Mp) from 2003 to 2012. Then I went FF with various generations of 5D (III, IV, SR). From my film days I had a lot of L lenses; today I have ten great whites plus six other Ls and five 1.4 Sigma Arts. So I believe I can offer my customers just about the maximum image quality it is possible to extract from today's DSLRs without going to medium format.

Longer ago than I like to admit, by accident I was in the right place at the right time with two (film) Leica CLs and six lenses. Grabbing the CL with B&W film I ran through a roll. The next day my photos ran full page on the front pages of both NYC tabloids. It is my only claim to photo-journalistic fame, but I still always carry a basic kit, hoping that lightning will strike twice. That kit was a Rebel T3i (stupidly with battery grip!), three kit zooms, and the plastic fantastic nifty fifty. But as I got older the outfit seemed to get bigger and heavier, and I started to hear the siren song of the Sony NEX. A quick visit to B&H showed me that the comparable lenses were no smaller or lighter, plus a Sony kit comparable to mine would set me back about four grand. I bought a Rebel SL1 instead, since replaced by an SL2. Smaller body, but still the same lenses.

When the M series was introduced I was mildly interested, but real photographers don't hold their cameras at arms length; the lack of an EVF was a deal breaker, even when you could get one as an accessory. The M5 changed my mind; I got one (with 11-22, 18-55, 55-200, 22f/2, and an adapter, mostly for the 50/1.8) and I must say I like it a lot. I also just acquired the 32/1.4 and that is one impressive piece of glass, 14 elements in 8 groups, that is 2 more elements than the Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4, which is considered the best non-AF normal lens there is. It is also one more element than the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 which seems to be regarded as the best AF normal lens. Disclaimer: I know very well that more elements does not automatically imply higher IQ, but it does give the lens designer more options to improve quality.

Some observations:

- Two macros aside, there is only ONE EF-S prime lens, the 24mm f/2.8, which is a rather pedestrian design and seems to be largely a scaled down version of the EF 40mm f/2.8. Over 15 years of EF-S lenses, that is it!

- One macro aside, after 6 1/2 years there are already two EF-M prime lenses.

- The EF-M 32mm f/1.4 is likely the most ambitious lens Canon has ever made for their APS-C format cameras. That seems to indicate a significant commitment to the M system.

- The Sony NEX/A6x00 have been relatively successful in the marketplace. This has likely not escaped Canon's attention.

Some speculations:

- I suspect there is a market out there for a small ILC which in addition to three kit zooms can offer some high grade small and light prime lenses.

- The M range is comprehensive enough to likely appeal to both phone snappers stepping up as well as more seasoned photogs wanting/needing a small and light yet high quality system (that is guys like me.)

And finally a bit of a wish list:

- 50mm in APS-C makes an excellent portrait lens. I think it is optically feasible to make an EF-M 50mm f/1.4 fit into the current form factor. If not, I would settle for f/1.8 or f/2.0.

- And then an 85mm, which of course is equivalent to a 135mm on FF. Again, it could possibly be f/2.0 without getting overly large and heavy. As suggested in an earlier post, f/2.4 would be Plan B. Finally, there really wouldn't be anything wrong even with f/2.8. 135mm f/2.8 lenses were pretty common in FF days.

That's my position, and I am sticking to it!

Oct 31, 2018
I agree I think the M5 is so far the best in this format of course. Any pertinent information about more specifications and date of release for the M5 Mark2?
Somebody must have some updates