Australian wildlife

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Shot this Big Girl yesterday at My workplace. We found her while doing a snail survey of the Zoo's wildlife refuge(and of course she went right back there after her modelling routine. The Australian Funnel Web spider(this is the Tasmanian version) is one of the world most venemous spiders and it certainly looks the part(1)-183.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Shot this Big Girl yesterday at My workplace. We found her while doing a snail survey of the Zoo's wildlife refuge(and of course she went right back there after her modelling routine. The Australian Funnel Web spider(this is the Tasmanian version) is one of the world most venemous spiders and it certainly looks the partView attachment 193574
Awesome!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Shot this Big Girl yesterday at My workplace. We found her while doing a snail survey of the Zoo's wildlife refuge(and of course she went right back there after her modelling routine. The Australian Funnel Web spider(this is the Tasmanian version) is one of the world most venemous spiders and it certainly looks the partView attachment 193574
Great shot! You can tell she is not happy!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Beautiful shots, Aussie shooter.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not too long ago I did my venomous snake handling course(in Australia so trust me they are bloody venomous ;) ). During the course I took the opportunity to grab a few shots of one of the Tiger snakes we were dealing with. View attachment 194123View attachment 194124View attachment 194125

I had never imagined they taught courses in this. But Oz is definitely a place where that skill is useful. Not only does it seem like any snake you would find is venomous, they're "dead before you hit the ground" venomous, unlike here (Western US) where the only snake one must worry about is a rattler, which is very easily identified unless you're deaf, and its bite isn't instant death, though it is still no joke.

(And yes, I do know Australia does have pythons, which are non-venomous. But geez, everything else that slithers...)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
I had never imagined they taught courses in this. But Oz is definitely a place where that skill is useful. Not only does it seem like any snake you would find is venomous, they're "dead before you hit the ground" venomous, unlike here (Western US) where the only snake one must worry about is a rattler, which is very easily identified unless you're deaf, and its bite isn't instant death, though it is still no joke.

(And yes, I do know Australia does have pythons, which are non-venomous. But geez, everything else that slithers...)
As I work in a zoo right next to bushland we are required to be able to remove any snakes that come onto the grounds so it is good to have the know how to use the tools properly and safely. And we will likely end up with a couple of the local venomous snakes for educational purposes. There is still a lot of work required to reduce the amount of people that have the mantra of 'the only good snake is a dead snake'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As I work in a zoo right next to bushland we are required to be able to remove any snakes that come onto the grounds so it is good to have the know how to use the tools properly and safely. And we will likely end up with a couple of the local venomous snakes for educational purposes. There is still a lot of work required to reduce the amount of people that have the mantra of 'the only good snake is a dead snake'.

It was always interesting to watch Steve Irwin (or his mate Wes) yell "Snake!" and run towards it. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Brett.
Lovely shots, we as a family used to know Jack Corney, he owned the Isle of Wight Zoo some years back and he was involved in snake milking for anti venom, my understanding is he got tagged so many times that he had to give it up due to not being able to receive any more anti venom!
He used to do snake handling demo‘s and hold the python sessions, I was totally enthralled, and couldn’t wait to hold the snake each time we visited, such misunderstood creatures.

More info on Jack and his antics here!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Hi Brett.
Lovely shots, we as a family used to know Jack Corney, he owned the Isle of Wight Zoo some years back and he was involved in snake milking for anti venom, my understanding is he got tagged so many times that he had to give it up due to not being able to receive any more anti venom!
He used to do snake handling demo‘s and hold the python sessions, I was totally enthralled, and couldn’t wait to hold the snake each time we visited, such misunderstood creatures.

More info on Jack and his antics here!

Cheers, Graham.
Yeah. The antivenom can be pretty nasty in its own right

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Did a bit of shooting in the wildlife refuge established by the zoo I work at. Not a lot of cool stuff but it was a nice afternoon with some decent light. But damn it is hard to get close to those Hares(Not an Australian native but well and truly an established species). They are so flighty(1)-10.jpg(1)-11.jpg(1)-12.jpg(1)-13.jpg(1)-9.jpg(1)-14.jpg(1)-15.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0