Avoiding "blown out" reds, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2011
Neuro has given the practical steps to take, another, obviously, is to shoot RAW, there is often some headway in the RAW file above the histogram that is generated from the preview jpeg that is affected by the picture style choices in camera, even if you are only saving to RAW on your card.

When shooting flowers, a regular source of severe red problems, it really helps to use an X-Rite Color Passport and make some camera profiles, it is very easy to do, especially if you have Lightroom or Photoshop, and will dramatically improve your colour renditions.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Set your picture style to neutral, display the RGB histogram and ETTR using the red channel. To take it a step further, you can use UniWB for a more RAW-relevant histogram.

Thanks for the pointers.

I looked a little into the uniWB, and there are conflicting reports as to whether or not it works with the 5D3. Any insights to shorten the learning curve?

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
privatebydesign said:
Neuro has given the practical steps to take, another, obviously, is to shoot RAW, there is often some headway in the RAW file above the histogram that is generated from the preview jpeg that is affected by the picture style choices in camera, even if you are only saving to RAW on your card.

When shooting flowers, a regular source of severe red problems, it really helps to use an X-Rite Color Passport and make some camera profiles, it is very easy to do, especially if you have Lightroom or Photoshop, and will dramatically improve your colour renditions.

Thanks for the tips.

I have to upgrade Photoshop to be able to use it with my camera, or go on the new cloud based system. I haven't taken the time to delve into Lightroom yet- I suppose it is time to do so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.