B&W Process

Jan 1, 2014
mackguyver said:
ray5 said:
mackguyver said:
ray5 said:
I'll probably wait for a sale and pick one up as well. I love B&W but not happy with what I have been able to do. Whenever I do something I compare it to Adam's Yosemite pictures......
Ouch, that's a harsh thing to do to yourself! I love his work, too, and my wife bought me a couple of his books last year for my birthday. I was fooling around with DxO Filmpack over the weekend again and forgot to mention something else and this applies to DxO, PS, & I think Nik (though I haven't used it in a while) - be sure to play with the filters, particularly the yellow and red filters as they have dramatic effects on the sky and vegetation. My process is generally to find a film profile I like and then play with the filters until I get close to the look I want. Then I play with the various color sliders and the contrast tools until I dial in the final look.
I agree. But growing up with his images have left a permanent impression.Here is a few I took in PAris earlier this year. I like them but don't see the contrast that I like.
Let me know what you think.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21550.0;attach=52765;image
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21550.0;attach=52766;image
Ray, they look great to me! I see you overcame the digital-age fear of going to pure black that Ansel was known for, too! Have you seen his photos of Berkley University and other architecture? That might give you a better idea of his look.

On the other hand, they say that when you copy someone great, you just end up being a poor version of them. Maybe you're better off finding your own style :)

Also, that's a good price on the Expert edition of FilmPack, but I'm pretty sure DxO has sales during Photokina as well. Their last sale ended in June, so they are due for another sale, anyways. I can't say if the price will be any better than B&H's though. I went through my emails to check the sale prices, but the last several sales have had special pricing for existing customers so I'm not sure what the normal sale price was (it wasn't in the email).
You are right. I tend to be too harsh on myself. DOn't know what I am looking for. I like them initially and then start finding things that I should have done better. That's one of the reason I never really invested the time in post processing as I feel I have so much to learn and should get it right in camera. But recently I saw what Photoshop can do and am in awe and investing some time to learn. Though I do have a dilemma, I have seen how an average picture is transformed in PS into something amazing. I don't know if I should credit the photographer for the vision or the guy who did the post(usually the photographer) for the skills behind the computer.

I'll wait till Photokina for any sale. If you come across one please let me know. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Better. Seems the more I work with the Silver Efex the better I do. This one took many, many control points to change different areas. Never did manage to cover up the blown out part of his forehead. But the B & W is still superior to the color version.

DSCF1591-Edit-L.jpg

Upvote 0