Bad time to buy 16-35 2.8 ii?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently bought a 5d2, yet I find myself using my older t2i more because I have a 10-22 lens for it. I would live to have an equivalent wide angle for my full frame. I've decided I would like to get the 16-35ii but I don't know if this is a good time to buy. Is there any way to know if there will be a price drop or rebate any time soon?
Thank you for any help.

Mar 25, 2011
Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
best time to buy is when you need the lens. if you can stand to wait for a rebate, that's a great option if you're looking to buy new. rebates seem to come and go fairly often with canon.

i just sold my 16-35 II on ebay for $1300 if that gives you a sense of high/low.

used market is a great place to pick it up for cheap as well, based on condition and how patient you are

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
mackguyver said:
I bought mine off rebate and totally overpaid for it - but it made me $$$ on a job soon after - so as the others are saying, if you need it, buy it.

what he said :D

or to think of it another way, if you want it now, buy it now. L lenses keep their value very well. I bought mine on rebate back in 2008 for somewhere around $1375, and to sell it at $1300 means i pretty much used it for free for 5 years as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Houston1852 said:
Is there any way to know if there will be a price drop or rebate any time soon?

Canon cashback rebates are regular, so look when the last ones were in your country and then you can predict the next - the 16-35L2 is usually included with a big discount, I waited for this to buy my 17-40L uwa.

Don't count on other price drops though, even if Canon should announce a successor like a 14-24L it'll be much more expensive so the price of the old-to-be 16-35L2 will most likely remain were it is or even rise like the 24-70L1 did on 24-70L2 announcement.

Upvote 0
Vossie said:
It's a nice lens butnothing spectacular. I find myself using it much less than I used the 10-22 on my previous crop body.

Got exactly the opposite experience here, leaving my 10-22 accumulating dust. I could never get those lush greens correct. CA maybe? In comparison, with my 16-35/II it's night and day. Of course you have the FF vs crop factor, but now I shoot UWA to my heart content. Even when the 14-24 surfaces, I think I'll keep it for its versatility. Added bonus, it becomes 26-56 on crop if you keep one. Terrific for street photo.

There might be some more discount as time goes, but as they say, if you need it, just buy it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.