Bag Quest V: The One Bag to Rule Them All (on vacation)

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
From the author of Bag Quest IV: The Search for Schlock comes the latest in the Bag Quest Series. Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

Need help finding a multi-use photo backpack for travel/vacation use with the following design requirements:

• Multi-use: The backpack should be roughly half-dedicated to my 5D3 + 2-3 stout but not huge lenses like the 16-35 f/4L IS or 24-70 f/4L IS and half dedicated to personal items like food/jacket/book/ipad/sunglasses/etc.

• Size: Must fit under a airplane seat in US coach / be roughly the size of a regular high-school backpack or perhaps a shade bigger.

• Style: Cannot clearly and obviously be a camera bag: No black foam cubey coffins on my back.

• It would be nice if the photo part of the bag can be completely removed for more space on days that I am not shooting.

• Must come with a rain cover or have a solid waterproof material and waterproof zippers.

• Breathable/padded straps and back rest are a near must as I'm based out of California and sun is a real menace. A hip strap / pad / belt is not needed for this payload.

• Would like to have a separate hatch to get the camera out without putting the bag on the ground or rummaging to the bottom of a large single-chambered rucksack.

• No bougie Billingham safari-style nonsense or Ona / Belstaff / Holdfast $500 fashion pieces. The mantra is to avoid looking like a tourist and avoid looking like I own a yacht.

• Tripod straps are not a must but I wouldn't say no to them.

• Zero need for using this while hiking. No need for a camel-back compatibility or anything like that.

• Quick / simple access to everything is what I want -- I'm not in love with tented flaps, rolltops you need to uncoil, and buckles are annoying when you try to open a bag that's under an airplane seat. Keep it simple.

• Zero need for a laptop compartment. I usually just travel with the iPad (the mini Retina one).

• Budget: $200-300-ish, but if it's perfect... I'm listening. I want something well built.
THANKS!

- A

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Some ideas for you on bags that hit some (but perhaps not all) of what I'm looking for:

Brevite: This nails not looking like a camera bag. Probably a hair too small and a hair too simple (it's pretty spartan).

Able Archer: Looks really well built... but I might have guns inside of it. Also a bit big.

WNDRD: I don't know if I'm in love with rolltops and the design is a little too 'Berlin architect' for me, but the form factor is just about right and it's not a cubey foam coffin at all.

Langly: A little too bougie / Billingham-y for me. I don't want it to draw that much attention.

Thule: This ticks all the boxes but it's a little big. Possibly my favorite so far. Play the video.

Mission: This is a hydration pack for cyclists, but I posted it here for look. I dig the design. Find me a camera bag like that. :D

Just a few ideas to get you folks percolating on this, thx.

- A

Upvote 0
f-stop deliver a number of bags in various sizes. They are amongst the very few who deliver true and comfortable backpacks, with very flexible use. I have three sizes for various use, from city walks to long hikes with my 600 ++

Here is one that might fit your bill. However, you should have a look at the other alternatives as well.
http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/loka-ul-2016.html

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My first stop for bags is ThinkTank, I added the Urban Disguise 50 recently and it is close to perfect, but not for you.

Take a look at their Perception Pro https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/perception-series-backpacks/products/perception-pro-backpack?variant=1235272703 the layout is similar to their Shape Shifter series but closer to your list.

ThinkTank are designed by photographers with actual cameras and lenses :) I can't answer for the Perception Pro because I haven't seen one, but I own three of their bags now and if I lost any of them I'd replace them with the same thing tomorrow, can't say much more than that.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
mindshift horizon?

from their website:
"Gear Profiles

Beltpack

Nikon D810 with a 24-70mm attached horizontally
Canon 5D MIII with 16-35mm II f/2.8 L attached + 24-70mm II f/2.8 L
10" tablet + Sony A7RII with 24-70 f/4.0 attached + 90mm Macro f/2.8 + HVL-F32m Flash
10" tablet, binoculars, energy bars, maps, identification book, etc."

and yes, it comes in black

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
privatebydesign said:
My first stop for bags is ThinkTank, I added the Urban Disguise 50 recently and it is close to perfect, but not for you.

Take a look at their Perception Pro https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/perception-series-backpacks/products/perception-pro-backpack?variant=1235272703 the layout is similar to their Shape Shifter series but closer to your list.

ThinkTank are designed by photographers with actual cameras and lenses :) I can't answer for the Perception Pro because I haven't seen one, but I own three of their bags now and if I lost any of them I'd replace them with the same thing tomorrow, can't say much more than that.

+1 yes feel the same way about ThinkTank, they're a highly evolved classy product. Great stuff.

-pw

Upvote 0
There are some great suggestions here already -- thanks to the prior posters, I've seen some new bags!

Here's my thoughts, after reading your first 6 criteria, what about starting with a well made, non photo backpack like a Kelty Redwing 44 https://www.rei.com/product/895780/kelty-redwing-44-pack (or similar)? Based on your budget, you have money left over to add inserts from your other bags or look at the inserts sold by camera bag companies. Tenba have some -- or take a look at their 24 litre pack http://www.tenba.com/products/shootout-backpack-24l.aspx

Another option is to add a Peak capture clip, https://www.peakdesign.com/capturewhich lets you have immediate access to the camera while on the move -- or you can easily put the camera into the bag when you want to keep it more hidden or protected.

Good luck in your search.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Mikehit said:
have you looked at Tamrac bags?

Would like to have a separate hatch to get the camera out without putting the bag on the ground or rummaging to the bottom of a large single-chambered rucksack.

That could be the tricky bit. Without it being a slingbag the only one I can think of is the Mindshift rotation series

Generally an issue with backpack style camera bags in general. That's why I personally prefer messenger style or other shoulder bags.

And yes, there is no one perfect bag, just the perfect bag for a particular outing. I have a bit of a bag obsession.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:

Thanks. Played the video. I'm not so sure that line -- even the big one in the video -- was intended to dump a 5D3 + 24-70 f/4 into a little drawstring pouch, but I could be wrong. I don't need super thick dividers (I own Kata and GuraGear bags which favor low weight over super protection), but i do need structure in the bag.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
andrei1989 said:
mindshift horizon?

from their website:
"Gear Profiles

Beltpack

Nikon D810 with a 24-70mm attached horizontally
Canon 5D MIII with 16-35mm II f/2.8 L attached + 24-70mm II f/2.8 L
10" tablet + Sony A7RII with 24-70 f/4.0 attached + 90mm Macro f/2.8 + HVL-F32m Flash
10" tablet, binoculars, energy bars, maps, identification book, etc."

and yes, it comes in black

Lovely bag, but it's too telltale a photography bag -- it's a rectangular/boxy foam coffin. Pass, thanks.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Mikehit said:
have you looked at Tamrac bags?

Would like to have a separate hatch to get the camera out without putting the bag on the ground or rummaging to the bottom of a large single-chambered rucksack.

That could be the tricky bit. Without it being a slingbag the only one I can think of is the Mindshift rotation series

I don't mean 'I need the bag to transform while I'm wearing it', I just need a side or front access just for the camera gear, which is fairly common in backpacks. See pics.

As for Tamrac, their GuraGear line had the Uinta system, which was sweet, but (in true GuraGear fashion) was quite expensive and I think a bit big 'telltale boxy' like their Kiboko / Bataflae bags, of which I own one. I see their stuff as expedition grade / carry everything on your back, and that's not the need here.

- A

Attachments

• RS_inside4.jpg
    RS_inside4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,139
  • tcdk101_fs_thumb15_sized_640x420.jpg
    tcdk101_fs_thumb15_sized_640x420.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,079
  • wandrd-prvke-pack-side-camera-access.jpg
    wandrd-prvke-pack-side-camera-access.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,105
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Fritz_us said:
There are some great suggestions here already -- thanks to the prior posters, I've seen some new bags!

Here's my thoughts, after reading your first 6 criteria, what about starting with a well made, non photo backpack like a Kelty Redwing 44 https://www.rei.com/product/895780/kelty-redwing-44-pack (or similar)? Based on your budget, you have money left over to add inserts from your other bags or look at the inserts sold by camera bag companies. Tenba have some -- or take a look at their 24 litre pack http://www.tenba.com/products/shootout-backpack-24l.aspx

Another option is to add a Peak capture clip, https://www.peakdesign.com/capturewhich lets you have immediate access to the camera while on the move -- or you can easily put the camera into the bag when you want to keep it more hidden or protected.

Good luck in your search.

Fritz, I love camera bags that do not scream 'camera'. I primarily work out of plain satchel / shoulder bags with either Tenba inserts (if big enough) or hacked-together leftover dividers (if not big enough), so what you are recommending is not unfamiliar territory to me.

But I don't feel the odd 3D shape of a backpack lends itself to such DIY work. Yes, you can find backpack camera inserts like the Tenba satchel one, but they will (a) invariably waste space inside the bag (unless they are a perfect fit) and (b) will not have 'door' to that is conveniently sized and located to get the gear out.

I think the unique nature / contours of a backpack -- especially this mixed-use need -- requires a purpose-built bag. I will go to the pros for this one. :D

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The recipe for the 'perfect' camera bag for you:

s-l1000.jpg
+
Stock-Foam-Sheets-Alternate-2-51658490-215_170.jpg
+
1_inch_metal_cam_buckle_strap.png
+
yikKrbL4T.gif
+
credit-rapide.jpg

;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
The recipe for the 'perfect' camera bag for you:

s-l1000.jpg
+
Stock-Foam-Sheets-Alternate-2-51658490-215_170.jpg
+
1_inch_metal_cam_buckle_strap.png
+
yikKrbL4T.gif
+
credit-rapide.jpg

;D

DIY needs to be clever/hack-ish, not build from scratch. Neuro, how on earth would I have time to make things? (These posts won't write themselves, eh? ;D)

I'm likely to get one of the bags I've already linked, honestly, I just wanted to shake the tree and see if I missed any. Right now I'm waffling between the Brevite / PRVKE (now making a 2nd smaller version) / Thule bags I previously linked.

I'd love to see a proper video on the Able Archer one, but right now it's just this concept dream piece for war correspondents with seemingly no video reviews online, no unboxing videos, no Amazon reviews, 1 B&H review, etc. = avoid for now. I can't even answer the basic question of 'how big does it sit on my frame' which you get almost instantly from an unboxing or review. Dimensions don't always tell the story, so I prefer a decent review or unboxing if I can get one.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
From the author of Bag Quest IV: The Search for Schlock comes the latest in the Bag Quest Series. Hopefully you all can point me in the right direction.

So far, I am partial to the Lowepro Flipside AW series.

It ticks off many of your items, but not all.

One big issue with "traditional" backpacks with rear compartment access, is the the straps (and the part of the pack that is on your back) must make ground contact to access the gear inside. The same access is open to people behind you when the pack is on your back.

The Lowepro Flipside allows access without removing the bag, or you can take it off and then put it back on without getting dirty (or dirtier). Your gear can't be accessed from behind, either- at least not the major compartments.

Upvote 0