Battery door open = flat battery!!

snoke said:
Ian_of_glos said:
A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?

1. No
2. No.

The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 12 hours now. At the start of the test my battery was at 73% and now 12 hours later it is still at 73% so I am not able to replicate what you are seeing.
How long do you normally leave it for?
I will leave the door open overnight and check the battery again in the morning, but I don't think the battery will be depleted significantly.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Ian_of_glos said:
The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 12 hours now. At the start of the test my battery was at 73% and now 12 hours later it is still at 73% so I am not able to replicate what you are seeing.

Steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Insert battery, do not close door.
Camera think battery is not battery?

Door close, battery inside, open door and battery inside, not problem. Test this.

Problem happen when you rush to put battery in camera and not close door. Dinner get cold or late to work and rush battery. Then forget until photo time. Then battery flat.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
snoke said:
Problem happen when you rush to put battery in camera and not close door. Dinner get cold or late to work and rush battery. Then forget until photo time. Then battery flat.

Takes >10 seconds or longer to take the battery from the charger, open the door, orient the battery and insert it. Takes <1 second to push the door closed. But somehow, you run out of time? Seems more likely to be carelessness.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Say you drive across town and are late for your dinner reservation. As you rush into the restaurant, you forget to push the button on your key to lock the car, and it's stolen. Some would blame traffic or being in a rush, as the OP is doing. To that, I'd say excuses are like a-holes...everyone has one and they all stink.

In the OP's case it's even easier – don't start something you can't finish. The <1 second needed to finish properly inserting a battery won't make the difference between a warm and cold dinner or being on time or late to work. The dinner was cold or he was already going to be late before he even picked up the camera.

Nevertheless, it's an interesting phenomenon...if it's reproducible. Not sure if that the case, though. But there are some weird things in firmware...like, why does the front barrel of the M22/2 extend slightly when I mount it to my M6 with the camera powered off?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hector1970 said:
I must try it with my car.
If I leave the door open will the battery discharge.
If it does this would be really stupid of car manufacturers and I'm going to complain.

Virtually all cars have a timer to shut off power drain in a case like leaving the door open, so if your battery goes flat, you should complain.

Upvote 0
snoke said:
Ian_of_glos said:

Steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Insert battery, do not close door.
Camera think battery is not battery?

Door close, battery inside, open door and battery inside, not problem. Test this.

The battery door on my 5D mk4 has been open for 24 hours now and the charge has only reduced from 73% to 72%. You would expect it to discharge slightly when the camera is not being used.

So as instructed I have followed your instructions and removed the battery before trying the experiment again.
Is the camera switched on or off when this happens?

Upvote 0
snoke said:
New 5D Mark IV.
Charge battery, put in camera at night.
Morning, get camera, battery flat.
What wrong?
Battery door not closed!

Don't understand. Battery door open make flat battery?
Why camera use battery if battery door open?
Happen you too?
All camera or only 5D Mark IV?
Me dumb or Canon dumb?

/
/ <- Door / Variant 1
_______/
|
|

\
\ <- Door / Variant 2
______\
|
|

The door position in variant 2 might trigger the switch which informs the camera that the battery compartment is closed. If that switch is a little bit wobbly it might trigger that switch again and again.
Closing the door activates the orange LED near the battery compartment (back side) which checks the storage card.
If the camera boots and checks the storage card this might be powerconsuming and draw the battery.

Just my 2ct.

Upvote 0
This time I removed the battery before starting the test. At the start of the test my battery was at 72%
I loaded the battery into the camera but left the door open. Sure enough the battery is now being depleted very quickly - it has lost 5% of its charge in under 2 hours. So this confirms what you are saying.

One thing I noticed was that the access lamp flashes as soon as I close the battery compartment door. My guess is that there is a process running inside the camera to check whether the battery compartment door is closed and when it detects that the door has been closed it then tests the memory cards. This is probably what is consuming the power.
However, I have owned a Canon DLSR for 7 years and I have never encountered this problem. In order to perform the test I had to try quite hard to create the symptoms you describe.

The manual says:
2) Insert the battery:
* insert the end with the electrical contacts
* insert the battery until it locks in place
3) Close the cover
* Press the cover until it snaps shut

I think it would be wise to follow these instructions in future.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The 1D X doesn't have a battery door, but what would happen if I pushed the battery into the slot but then I urgently needed to clean my andirons and didn't twist the lock on the camera battery because that would take too long?

Similarly, what would happen if I pushed the battery into the slot but then I had to pick up my suits from the dry cleaners and didn't twist the lock on the camera battery because that would take too long?

Or, what would happen if I pushed the battery into the slot but then I heard the toast pop up from the toaster and needed to put butter on it before it cooled off, so didn't twist the lock on the camera battery because that would take too long?

It may be difficult, but I'll try not to let these conundrums keep me awake at night.

;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ian_of_glos said:
The manual says:
2) Insert the battery:
3) Close the cover

In fairness to the OP, he did follow the instructions...they do not explicitly state that step 3 should follow step 2 without a significant temporal delay. Similarly, one could follow the instructions on a shampoo bottle… Lather their hair during their morning shower, but wait until returning home at the end of the day to rinse out the shampoo. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2017
Ian_of_glos said:
This time I removed the battery before starting the test. At the start of the test my battery was at 72%
I loaded the battery into the camera but left the door open. Sure enough the battery is now being depleted very quickly - it has lost 5% of its charge in under 2 hours. So this confirms what you are saying.

Yes! Confirm I not crazy.

The manual says:
2) Insert the battery:
3) Close the cover

Yes. Follow instructions always good. But humans not perfect.

Upvote 0