Battery grips, Canon or third party? Use one or don't?

The purchase of my first 7D was was unexpected as a 40D crapped as I was just starting a 3-day job that NEEDED 2 bodies. As an un-budgeted purchase, I skipped the grip at first. A month or so later, I went to buy a grip and was sticker-shocked by the price. Maybe I was wrong, but it seemed like it was quite a price hike from the price of the 40D grips I'd had before. I decided I'd already gotten along for a month without the grip, I could go a little longer.

And now, 3 years later…

With the 40D's old BP511 batts, I was glad to have a pair on board in the grip for a long day of shooting. But the 7D's batteries have better life, so I no longer worry about having two loaded at once. And the 7D plays better with my flash bracket grip-less.

I think the main reason I got the grips on my 40D's was that I felt I wouldn't look as professional otherwise. But in the end, the client looks at your photos, not your equipment. Sure, a grip feels pretty good in the hand, but every piece of my equipment has to pay for itself, and for me, the grip just doesn't add any real value.

Like the 70-200mm 2.8 I had to sell in a financial crunch last year, I'm actually kind of surprised how much I *don't* miss being gripped.

Upvote 0
I used Canon grips on my 40D, 50Ds, and the 7D. When I got the 5D Mark III, I opted for a Vello because I broke the bank. The quality and feel are good. The fit and finish matched perfectly. The only issue I've heard about is the Canon Flash Bracket doesn't work with it.

Rokinon 14mm f2.8 & Canon 5D Mark III © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

5D Mark III and Celestron © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Vello BG-C9 Battery Grip for 5D Mark III text web © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal Photography, on Flickr

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I use the grip about 2/3 of the time on my 5D M3. I don't use when I want to go light. I like the extra bulk and size of the grip, and vertical controls. I would never consider using a 3rd party grip; I hate fussing with equipment in the field. Always seem to fail the worst time. Not worth the minor savings in price - either in case of actual failure or worrying about failure.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Ryan85 said:
I've never used battery grips. Do you all prefer using one or not using one? Do you prefer canon grips or a third party manufacturers?
Vello produces very good grips. I normally don't use them because of the extra weight but, when planning to shoot longer and shooting many portrait orientation it is a must have.
When coupled with my 5D3 does not fit in many of my bags.

Upvote 0