battle of 24

Price of NEW EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Pancake and USED EF 24mm f/2.8 EF Lens are very similar
Which one to choose?

I have 600D (+18-135 mk1) and no plan to change it or go to FF

I have a 50mm1.8 mk2 that is not working any more

I am looking for
a> low light lens than 18-135
b> indoor usability (50mm is tight for indoors, that is why not looking for 40mm pancake)
c> faster focusing than 50mm1.8
d> macro ability on extension tube (I think pancake 40 will do better)

So forum members, can you please suggest which one I should choose

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi mukul!

I am trying to answer some of your questions on those two lenses.
I own a EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM but I do not have any personal experiences with the EF 24mm f/2.8.

mukul said:
Price of NEW EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Pancake and USED EF 24mm f/2.8 EF Lens are very similar
Which one to choose?

I have 600D (+18-135 mk1) and no plan to change it or go to FF

As you do not plan to go FF I'd be more on the side of the EF-S. Why?

If it comes to IQ just look at Bryans comparison
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=246&Camera=736&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=960&Sample=0&CameraComp=736&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0
To me the EF-S delivers much more sharpness and contrast. Both center and corner.

It is much smaller and really easy to carry with you.
The STM AF is not very fast and a little bit noisy. But that would be only important when it comes to action and or video. You didn't mention any of those.
And you'll get full warranty with a new lens.

So those were my 5 cent to your points a) to c).
Point d), macro with extension tubes, is something I've never tried with that lens. But I wouldn't see that as a much important factor.

Good luck in your decision.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
I too would go with the 24mm STM pancake. It's just such a nice, little lens, especially with both lenses being f/2.8. The STM isn't the fastest focusing lens, but it is very accurate. I pre-ordered this lens when it was announced. At the time I owned the 40mm and loved how small of a kit it made by Rebel but the 40mm is just sort of this weird "no man's land" focal length on crop. The 24mm (~40mm FF equiv) is great for indoor shooting like you mentioned. Sadly one day I had no crop cameras left and sold this lens to national camera for $75. I kind of regret it now since it was so little money and keeping the 24mm would have given me an excuse to pick up a cheap SL1 or SL2 someday for the smallest DSLR kit possible.

Upvote 0
The EF-S 24mm STM is the best option for the money. The 24mm f/2.8 IS USM is a little better (lets in more light even at the same f-stop, is a little better corrected, and has IS) but is quite a bit more expensive in most countries. The other older 24mm (which doesn't have IS and has a really old focus motor) is nowhere near as good as either the EF-S 24mm pancake or the newer 24mm IS. The 24mm IS and the 24mm pancake are both sharper, let in more light, and focus faster and quieter than the old 24mm. The old 24mm (non-IS, non-USM or STM) focuses slower than your 50mm f/1.8 and I definitely would never use it for macro; it's nowhere near sharp enough.

Considering the prices, the EF-S 24mm STM is the most worthwhile option for most people, and it does everything you require.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I would not get the old EF 24mm f/2.8, especially if it is used. Refurbished, possibly, but I still think you have better options.

If you are cost-constrained, get the pancake. It's sharp but not much else. Note that lens is focus by wire, so manual focusing is possible but not nearly the same as with a mechanical focus ring -- that may affect your macro aspirations with this.

If you are not terribly cost-constrained, 100% get the EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM. It's a proper lens that can do much more than your other two options:

• Ring USM poops all over STM for focusing speed
  • It's a proper lens feature-wise: solid hood and attachment mechanism, distance scale, standard front filter diameter, etc.
  • IS is super useful
  • Very well built. Other than the weather sealing difference, these lenses are 'sleeper L' lenses in terms of modern build quality. I honestly find the build quality on par with my ~ $1000 L lenses (not as nice as the pro f/2.8 zooms and f/1.4L primes, however)
  • FTM mechanical focusing -- generally not a big need on a 24 prime, but if you want to dabble with tubes and macro, this lens would be better than the two you are considering.

If interested, here's the refurb link: https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/331227?WT.mc_id=C126149

It gets restocked periodically, and you can get alerts from Canonpricewatch.com for when there is a 10-15% sale.

- A

Upvote 0